Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can Any One Help!

Can Any One Help!

Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

The Tyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can Any One Help!

This may seem like a really cheeky question, but here goes. Is there any type of housing benefit in spain for [U]disabled[U] people. My wife and I would love to move to Spain for health reasons. We don't have capital to buy so would have to rent. If the new changes come in in April we could keep our benefits but the rent may make it impossible. We are not a couple of scroungers that want a sun tan, we have worked hard for a long time, but i now have to do most things for my wife. I have heard if you pay national insurance in Spain for 6 months you can claim as a spanish resident but not quite sure of any real details.
Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Any One Help!

Originally Posted by The Tyke
This may seem like a really cheeky question, but here goes. Is there any type of housing benefit in spain for [u]disabled[u] people. My wife and I would love to move to Spain for health reasons. We don't have capital to buy so would have to rent. If the new changes come in in April we could keep our benefits but the rent may make it impossible. We are not a couple of scroungers that want a sun tan, we have worked hard for a long time, but i now have to do most things for my wife. I have heard if you pay national insurance in Spain for 6 months you can claim as a spanish resident but not quite sure of any real details.
Thanks
You either need to work in Spain to contribute or be self employed ... maybe theres a voluntary method but not heard of it.

Some disability benefits in the UK are transferrable to Spain if you are already claiming them

Use search on the Spanish forum, its been asked before
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ali in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really niceAli in jaen is just really nice
Default Re: Can Any One Help!

Originally Posted by The Tyke
This may seem like a really cheeky question, but here goes. Is there any type of housing benefit in spain for [U]disabled[U] people. My wife and I would love to move to Spain for health reasons. We don't have capital to buy so would have to rent. If the new changes come in in April we could keep our benefits but the rent may make it impossible. We are not a couple of scroungers that want a sun tan, we have worked hard for a long time, but i now have to do most things for my wife. I have heard if you pay national insurance in Spain for 6 months you can claim as a spanish resident but not quite sure of any real details.
Thanks
I have no idea about you getting help being Residents, but I know quite a few Spanish people who have been through the process. Unfortunately all rather negative. First, your disability has to be graded by a doctor and then they look into how much allowance you are granted. I'm not sure if its specifically for housing though.

One of my friends' mums took a good 2 years to get recognised and get her allowance, I think this was because the doctors didn't consider it a major disability.

Now the new "Dependence for carers law" has come out, maybe things are better.

Sorry the news couldn't be brighter, but sadly that's how some things are in Spain

Hope things do work out for the best