Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

CALLING FELLOW NUTTERS...WHERE TO BUY DRIED FRUIT & NUTS?

CALLING FELLOW NUTTERS...WHERE TO BUY DRIED FRUIT & NUTS?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

beverleyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CALLING FELLOW NUTTERS...WHERE TO BUY DRIED FRUIT & NUTS?

I live nr Mijas and am desperate to find reasonably priced dried fruit and nuts. Before we came out I visited Julian Graves and very nearly cleared them out of stocks of large packs of dried apricots, figs, dates, various nuts, raisins, a lovely mixture of seeds and nuts full of Omega 3 and 6, all reasonably priced/on special. Can anyone suggest comparable sources, or at least better than the mingy expensive packs on offer in Mercadona and the likes please??
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CALLING FELLOW NUTTERS...WHERE TO BUY DRIED FRUIT & NUTS?

Originally Posted by beverleyp
I live nr Mijas and am desperate to find reasonably priced dried fruit and nuts. Before we came out I visited Julian Graves and very nearly cleared them out of stocks of large packs of dried apricots, figs, dates, various nuts, raisins, a lovely mixture of seeds and nuts full of Omega 3 and 6, all reasonably priced/on special. Can anyone suggest comparable sources, or at least better than the mingy expensive packs on offer in Mercadona and the likes please??
You can get these almost anywhere in Spain. Dried fruit and nuts are an important part of the Spanish diet.

In the past I've bought them from the Friday market in Arroyo de la miel, our local fruteria, or at Hipercor, wherever I happen to be.

I always make sure things like almonds and hazzlenuts etc state they are from Spain as they taste twice as good as the much cheaper ones from California or Turkey. The latter ones are mass produced and dont have the tradition. We recently bought some local raisins from the Montes de Malaga and they were incredible!

Last edited by cricketman; Jul 19th 2010 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

My local Mercadona has a good range, but the best range is in the local mercadillo
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
My local Mercadona has a good range, but the best range is in the local mercadillo
But the lady said they are mingy expensive packs.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
that will teach me to read the entire post & not just the title!!!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Thanks JDR - you've got it in one. I'm talking kilo packs at a reasonable price as per Julian Graves
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricketman
You can get these almost anywhere in Spain. Dried fruit and nuts are an important part of the Spanish diet.

In the past I've bought them from the Friday market in Arroyo de la miel, our local fruteria, or at Hipercor, wherever I happen to be.

I always make sure things like almonds and hazzlenuts etc state they are from Spain as they taste twice as good as the much cheaper ones from California or Turkey. The latter ones are mass produced and dont have the tradition. We recently bought some local raisins from the Montes de Malaga and they were incredible!
.... yes, but aren't they always very expensive?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

.... yes, but aren't they always very expensive?
I dont think so, but I dont how much they cost in England so I dont know how much you are expecting to pay.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:22 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Eroski do a reasonable selection in plastic boxes rather than small packs.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Markets! Simples
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

sanrod will become famous soon enoughsanrod will become famous soon enough

The local daily markets seem to have a good supply of them.