Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Calling all Mijas residents

Calling all Mijas residents

Old May 11th 2010, 2:23 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all Mijas residents

I rarely go there but everytime I have been they were there, just at the corner. Didn't say they were a problem though. Always a few British drunks at the bar in Dunnes too.

On the other hand I could just be making it up
Old May 11th 2010, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I rarely go there but everytime I have been they were there, just at the corner. Didn't say they were a problem though. Always a few British drunks at the bar in Dunnes too.

On the other hand I could just be making it up
You see gypsies hanging out there to. There you go, the gypsies and hoodies can make friends

The Iceland around the corner is just as depressing. Walking past, it reminded me of when I accidently went to Lidls at Clapham Junction
Old May 11th 2010, 2:34 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the Gypsies were a real problem a few years ago. Lots of robberies from cars.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:52 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen anything like you're describing there. However, the OP was wanting to know about Mijas La Nueva, which isnt really anything to do with that area anyway

Jo xxx
Old May 13th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

susanspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Re Mijas PUEBLO...
Yes, the foreigners dept seems to be one of the best in the area!
BUT.... They do not seem to know the difference between a non-resident cert/how to get it/what it is etc and other things.
I am not moaning, but just pointing out they have their limits (but I am still overall very very happy with the service!)

Re some Urbs in the catchment of the Pueblo not getting same level of service as predominantly Sp ones.... There DO exist Extranjero ghettos even in the pueblo and they sometimes get 'overlooked' as a consequence. (I think the TH do look at the owners list and see that it is more than 80% Brit/Foreign and treat it accordingly). Such a shame when the non-resident ex pats get charged over DOUBLE for IBA? (the community fee) when they are not even here a lot of the time! This IMHO is very unfair.

All said - I now live in a sub Urb of Mijas Pueblo and even tho it is 98% Sp -the local services (road maintenance, other bits and pieces) have been cut at the cost of sprucing up the Pueblo recently (for those of you that visit regularly the past 6 months the whole of the centre of the Pueblo has been dug up replaing cobbles/streets that were perfectly fine!!!!!)....
When will they stop paying for the s**t sweeping after the donkeys! - Just get rid of latter!!! (Or make the owners do it!)
Old May 13th 2010, 2:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanspain
Re Mijas PUEBLO...
Yes, the foreigners dept seems to be one of the best in the area!
BUT.... They do not seem to know the difference between a non-resident cert/how to get it/what it is etc and other things.
I am not moaning, but just pointing out they have their limits (but I am still overall very very happy with the service!)

Re some Urbs in the catchment of the Pueblo not getting same level of service as predominantly Sp ones.... There DO exist Extranjero ghettos even in the pueblo and they sometimes get 'overlooked' as a consequence. (I think the TH do look at the owners list and see that it is more than 80% Brit/Foreign and treat it accordingly). Such a shame when the non-resident ex pats get charged over DOUBLE for IBA? (the community fee) when they are not even here a lot of the time! This IMHO is very unfair.

All said - I now live in a sub Urb of Mijas Pueblo and even tho it is 98% Sp -the local services (road maintenance, other bits and pieces) have been cut at the cost of sprucing up the Pueblo recently (for those of you that visit regularly the past 6 months the whole of the centre of the Pueblo has been dug up replaing cobbles/streets that were perfectly fine!!!!!)....
When will they stop paying for the s**t sweeping after the donkeys! - Just get rid of latter!!! (Or make the owners do it!)
What the hell is a non resident certificate ?
Old May 13th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

The very problem is that people aren't there most of the time! In Torremolinos there are financial benefits for being on the padron, as they want people to live here and contribute to the community I suppose.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Woh, you've got a chip on your shoulder!

How much of your prejudice is based on fact, rather than blatent judgemental ignorance?

1. Mijas Pueblo is a tourist village. It needs works doing to it to keep tourists coming. It is right that money is spent on the Pueblo before the faceless urbs where people live.
2. Mijas is known all over Spain for its donkeys. So it would be stupid to get rid of them, that is why tourists come!
3. I believe IBA is charged per square meter of property, so there is no way they will look at the nationality of the owner and charge double
4. Mijas Pueblo itself is full of foreigners, even in the centre, not just Spanish people
5. Are you sure that the improvements your urb needs even falls under the Pueblo's jurisdiction? Many urbs are classified as private and need to arrange to make improvements themselves within their own community
6. It is true that many things are politicised in Spain at a local level. If you want your urb or part of the village to be fixed you need to lobby the local community or ayuntamiento. Unfortunately the ignorance of how these things work in Spain and poor language abilities mean many expats can't do that. Not the fault of the system though, learn about the country you live in, you'd expect foreigners to do that in Britain!
Old May 14th 2010, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

JDR - A non-resident cert is something that is required by banks/the tax office and not the police. If you open a non-resident bank account and you do not provide this piece of paper (which has to be qued up for at Police Station) there is a possibility of having your bank account frozen! It is becoming more necessary as time goes on.

Cricket man - Do you live in Mijas Pueblo?
Yes, the donkeys are iconic and 'bring tourists to the village'... but the village itself is fine with its local bylaws (having to paint your house, in the stipulated colours for eg) without the residents having to pay for the hourly s*** sweeping. Why not just charge the businesses as they are afterall, the ones who benefit.

My observations are based on the facts of being a resident for 10yrs. Not just idle talk. You would not believe - (or rather you would if you are a seasoned resident) the back handers that take place, as well as the foreigners AND locals having lack of basic services (road mending ON THE PUBLIC ROADS - NB I have checked with the Townhall planning office, who are also the road maintenance unit).

I have no chip on my shoulder. I am just living in the real world and not one of sangria and sunshine (and donkeys)
Old May 14th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JDR - A non-resident cert is something that is required by banks/the tax office and not the police. If you open a non-resident bank account and you do not provide this piece of paper (which has to be qued up for at Police Station) there is a possibility of having your bank account frozen! It is becoming more necessary as time goes on.

Cricket man - Do you live in Mijas Pueblo?
Yes, the donkeys are iconic and 'bring tourists to the village'... but the village itself is fine with its local bylaws (having to paint your house, in the stipulated colours for eg) without the residents having to pay for the hourly s*** sweeping. Why not just charge the businesses as they are afterall, the ones who benefit.

My observations are based on the facts of being a resident for 10yrs. Not just idle talk. You would not believe - (or rather you would if you are a seasoned resident) the back handers that take place, as well as the foreigners AND locals having lack of basic services (road mending ON THE PUBLIC ROADS - NB I have checked with the Townhall planning office, who are also the road maintenance unit).

I have no chip on my shoulder. I am just living in the real world and not one of sangria and sunshine (and donkeys)
No I live in Benalmadena Pueblo. Went to look at houses within Mijas Pueblo but found it too touristy

But I am well aware of the reputation Mijas has WITHIN Spain. Believe it or not even Spanish tourists come to Mijas because of its reputation of a white Andalucian village with the donkey taxis.

I'm just sick and tired of British people crying prejudice all the time. I've never found any basis to it, it is usually sour grapes and frustration because they do not feel part of mainstream society.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I opened a non resident account without one and just a PP number from the UK, I used to get a form from the bank to sign to verify that i was still non resident, they just said when you get residencia pop back in and change the account, which I did.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:22 pm
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

About the donkeys and horses, ok so why don't they do the same as the horses. They have a bag to catch there poo. So if they do the same for the donkeys . And everyone will be happy. I go up to mijas every time we out and there less tourists going up there now and not spending as much now.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Wildcat... yes, the horses do their natural thing too. I read in Sur? that the local businesses are fed up of the mess/smell too. But not sure if this 'tourist attraction' will ever change. (Don't laugh - in Thailand? the local govt wanted owners to put nappies on their donkeys in public places/city centre?!) lol!

CM...Yes it is very touristy. But thankfully come Sunday night it is peaceful and sleepy.

Re xenophobia, it really does exist. But I will take the advice of one of the other forum members who recently advised me that if I stay too long on this forum I will get a few balls spun at me
Old May 18th 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wildcat... yes, the horses do their natural thing too. I read in Sur? that the local businesses are fed up of the mess/smell too. But not sure if this 'tourist attraction' will ever change. (Don't laugh - in Thailand? the local govt wanted owners to put nappies on their donkeys in public places/city centre?!) lol!

CM...Yes it is very touristy. But thankfully come Sunday night it is peaceful and sleepy.

Re xenophobia, it really does exist. But I will take the advice of one of the other forum members who recently advised me that if I stay too long on this forum I will get a few balls spun at me
If xenophobia against British people in Spain does exist I want to hear some examples cos I've never come across it.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:55 am
Banned

I would say there are lots of examples on this forum. If I were you I would jusst carry on with your illusions that it isn't there. Makes for a happier existence

Have to say though that I thought Mijas was one of the better Ayuntamientos as they are so used to foreigners living there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.