Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Calling all Mijas residents

Calling all Mijas residents

Old May 6th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

beverleyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all Mijas residents

Hi, we have found a lovely house to rent in Mijas La Nueva. We need to make a quick decision. We went to the English Dept at the town hall and we were gobsmacked at how much there is organised for everyone and the number of activities laid on in the village.

Any further comments will be helpful asap.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Calling all Mijas residents

What do you need to know?!
Old May 10th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

susanspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Si, Si...
We have a lot of things going on here!
Many for free! (Or rather it is paid for in the high community fees). Watch out if you buy a property here. As an ExPat (i.e non Spaniard) you will be stung very heavily for the most basic of ammeneties (and even then there is no guarantee you will get your rubbish collected!)

This is not a moan as a property owner (I rent!).. just a warning to anyone who thinks Mijas is a 'wonderfully organised place to live'.
(We still have the 'enchufes' system - i.e back handers/black market etc)
Old May 10th 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanspain
Si, Si...
We have a lot of things going on here!
Many for free! (Or rather it is paid for in the high community fees). Watch out if you buy a property here. As an ExPat (i.e non Spaniard) you will be stung very heavily for the most basic of ammeneties (and even then there is no guarantee you will get your rubbish collected!)

This is not a moan as a property owner (I rent!).. just a warning to anyone who thinks Mijas is a 'wonderfully organised place to live'.
(We still have the 'enchufes' system - i.e back handers/black market etc)
There is enchufe all over Spain, but I have no idea how someone can be descriminated against concerning their rubbish and community services

Do the binmen have a list of everyone's name and nationality and just leave British people's rubbish?

I had to go to Mijas Pueblo townhall recently to sort out a situation for someone I knew who didnt speak Spanish. They were all very polite and helpful and sorted out the situation efficiently.

Maybe you are talking about Mijas Costa? As Mijas Costa and Calahonda are probably THE number one example of a British ghetto in Spain. There are even British hoodies hanging around street corners
Old May 10th 2010, 6:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Mijas ayuntamiento probably has the best foreigners dept. in Spain. They speak perfect English Can't see how anyone would need to use anyone else to sort anything out.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Mijas ayuntamiento probably has the best foreigners dept. in Spain. They speak perfect English Can't see how anyone would need to use anyone else to sort anything out.
But only the foreigners dept speak English.

If you want something to pass the time with, try and contact the foreigners dept in Benalmadena using English language or by email.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
But only the foreigners dept speak English.

If you want something to pass the time with, try and contact the foreigners dept in Benalmadena using English language or by email.
Exactly. This was a land border issue with two neighbours, one of which was paying the other ones community taxes for the past 8 years because the ayuntamento had an outdated plan of the properties. And the other neighbour was in debt to the ayuntamiento!

Not something the foreigners dep can sort out.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

"As Mijas Costa and Calahonda are probably THE number one example of a British ghetto in Spain. There are even British hoodies hanging around street corners"

Oi, I teach most of those hoodies

Last edited by Zaragozaram; May 10th 2010 at 6:49 pm. Reason: i am an idiot
Old May 10th 2010, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
As Mijas Costa and Calahonda are probably THE number one example of a British ghetto in Spain. There are even British hoodies hanging around street corners

Oi, I teach most of those hoodies
Sorry!

I'm sure they're lovely underneath the hood

It does seem more South East London than South of Spain though
Old May 10th 2010, 8:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There always seems to be loads of British teenagers hanging around outside Dunnes stores in Fuengirola. Wonder if they ever attend school...or maybe they have left Sign of the times though that's the sort of British we get these days
Old May 10th 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe that's the sort of British that Britain gets full stop these days... Sorry, being provocative...!
Old May 10th 2010, 10:09 pm
Banned

Why apologise, provocation and nastiness is spreading through all the threads tonight. I don't mind different opinions. Just thought we were discussing Spain, but what do I know
Old May 11th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Just being deliberately provocative, don't mean it really!
Old May 11th 2010, 11:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There always seems to be loads of British teenagers hanging around outside Dunnes stores in Fuengirola. Wonder if they ever attend school...or maybe they have left Sign of the times though that's the sort of British we get these days
I go to DM Brico next to Dunnes quite a lot and all I have seen outside Dunnes are shopping trollies.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:13 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen any teenagers hanging around Dunnes?? Not the prettiest area in Fuengirola, but it always seems very civilized and friendly

Jo xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.