Cadiz

Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cadiz

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
The old city is very small and you can walk round it very easily in two hours.
The cathedral is nice but lacks colour. however the crypt is fascinating both in it's construction and due to the ECHO.

The Camera Obscura is worth a visit ( I like them ).
We didn't go to the museum on this visit but it is well worth seeing all the Roman and Phonecian bits they found in the Bay of GIBRALTAR.

Also the narrow city street are a hive of small shops that seem to be managing OK possibly due to the lack of supermarket competition.
The market was bustling with many small traders and a wide variety of produce at very keen prices.
We found ( used it to park ) a Lidl a good 5 kms from the centre, and checking online there is a Mercadona about 4 kms out.
Closer to the City there is an El Corte Ingles which is quite large, I suppose it has a Hipercore in it but we didn't notice. We went in looking for a particular product without exploring the whole store.

Restaurants, well there's hundreds of them.
The cathedral and the crypt echo gets a big write up in Sharpe's Fury by Richard Cornwell, along with the length of time it took to build and some comments about the town.

`
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:41 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Cádiz doesn't have a lot to see in the way of historical buildings but I just like wandering around the old part, narrow alleways etc. Reminds me of how Spain used to be. Had one of our best meals in Spain there. Wish I could remember the name...I could take you there Not cheap but it is compared to a good place on the CDS. Their famous crab fritters to start and real deserts like profiteroles to finish.

We had to check out of the Parador after 2 nights. Woke up on the third day with awful building noise. Opened the shutters and they were almost on our balcony, chipping the rendering off the walls They said they didn't have another room but not to worry it would be finished later that day. Went out for the day, returned about 5pm. there was about a metre deep building rubble on the balcony...so, we left. They had the cheek to try to charge our card for that night because we hadn't checked out at 12pm
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you don´t like Barcelona either there isn´t much to be said. We absolutely loved it. Regarding the beggars unfortunately this region is suffering dire times even Jerez was on the BBC news last night. But I can remember going to Dublin in the early seventies and was shocked at the amount of beggars around.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a year in Cadiz and its charms grow on you. The food, the historic buildings and the beaches are more obvious on a quick visit, but its biggest asset is the humour and vitality of its people. They are very friendly, always ready for a laugh, and Carnaval with its satirical songs and amazing costumes is quite unique. There are lots of great clubs for live music and comedy but they don't start till after midnight when most tourists have gone to bed!

As for the dog shit, I don't remember it being a problem, certainly no worse than other towns, but they do actually have bins and notices up in Cadiz old town and they do fine people.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Worse place I have seen for dog shit is Paris, necessary to walk with your head down all the time
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Worse place I have seen for dog shit is Paris, necessary to walk with your head down all the time
I've not been there for many years - do they still have the pissoirs in the street (Amsterdam has them too), they really smell disgusting.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well I must concur at bad restaurants in Cadiz on this one occasion. Today we went for lunch and it was the most disgusting meal I think I have had. It was Presa Iberico. When it came it was four small slices of meat which resembled those dog chews you get and tasted like it. Served on a bed of white limp undercooked chips. It was dreadful.

My OH and a friend both had beefburgers which sounded delicious one was supposedly made with Aberdeen Angus and the other with Hereford beef. Both tasted exactly the same which they most likely were accompanied by some bits of iceberg lettuce and the same white limp chips.

Now why is it that when in the UK I am served a dreadful meal I will send it back but when I am in Spain I say nothing!!
Old Apr 28th 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Well I must concur at bad restaurants in Cadiz on this one occasion. Today we went for lunch and it was the most disgusting meal I think I have had. It was Presa Iberico. When it came it was four small slices of meat which resembled those dog chews you get and tasted like it. Served on a bed of white limp undercooked chips. It was dreadful.

My OH and a friend both had beefburgers which sounded delicious one was supposedly made with Aberdeen Angus and the other with Hereford beef. Both tasted exactly the same which they most likely were accompanied by some bits of iceberg lettuce and the same white limp chips.

Now why is it that when in the UK I am served a dreadful meal I will send it back but when I am in Spain I say nothing!!
What a shame. I think the worst meal I've been served in Spain was in Antequera, it sounds a lot like the one you described. I'm sure there must be better restaurants there (and it's a lovely place to visit for a day) but we were certainly unlucky!

I am not the best at complaining in restaurants, unless I found something really disgusting in the food the most I would do is not leave a tip and vow never to go back, but my OH has no such scruples - no matter which country he's in. I suppose everyone should do it but traditionally it hasn't been the British way.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir

Maybe because when they bring it back to your table or the next course, you would be wondering what unpleasant bodily substance may have been added.

Yes it does happen quite often and not only in Spain, so you need to have a lot of confidence in the kitchen staff before sending it back as they can often take it very personally or possibly even get a slap on the wrist from the head chef because of your actions.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:02 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

when arriving at a restaurant buying the Maitre D' and Chef a drink seems to smooth the way