Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is buying in Spain profitable?

Is buying in Spain profitable?

Old Jan 13th 2023, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is buying in Spain profitable?

I would agree to buy property here to make a fast buck is risky despite what many agents will tell you! And don't expect huge increases in value at any time especially given the oncosts of acquisition including tax.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

It has to be said that from around about 2000 until 2004 when spain converted to the euro and many Brits moved to Spain the market boomed. I actually did very well as I bought my property in 1999 for 9 million pesetas which was around £ 34,000 I sold in 2002 for 96.000€. The same property was on the market about a year ago at the same price!! Of course when 2007 came that's when the bubble burst and in places like Torrevieja it was a total wipe out in a way that never happens in uk as most of the properties were just second homes and investments - I think overnight there was an average drop of around 50 % so a large number of people got burned. This is why it is very risky in the tourist areas where there is still a huge amount of construction so stock far outstrips demand.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Many people laundered their 'black' pesetas via property deals in the currency change era - bought off plan in pts and sold for €uros when it was built - this all added to the boom in building and prices. Of course, some were never built/completed (certainly in the Torrevieja area) and so their pts were lost but that practice was very common at that time when notaries and the tax systems were laxer.

Yes, 2007/8 was a wipeout with the financial crash triggered in the USA. Loads of people had bought property at inflated prices (boosted by huge agents' commissions) and then could not sell as well as loads of new/unfinished projects being unsold.

Old Jan 13th 2023, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Many people laundered their 'black' pesetas via property deals in the currency change era - bought off plan in pts and sold for €uros when it was built - this all added to the boom in building and prices. Of course, some were never built/completed (certainly in the Torrevieja area) and so their pts were lost but that practice was very common at that time when notaries and the tax systems were laxer.

Yes, 2007/8 was a wipeout with the financial crash triggered in the USA. Loads of people had bought property at inflated prices (boosted by huge agents' commissions) and then could not sell as well as loads of new/unfinished projects being unsold.
It's very true that at that time people did move their black money out into property ( and expensive cars ) as they had to get rid of their pesetas. Also true that it was common practice to deflate official sale prices to reduce tax- the notary would often leave the room when bags of cash would be passed between the parties! That's how it was back then. The fact that many mayors and local officials ended up in prison gives you an idea of what was happening and how rich people became. I think the ayuntamiento malaga were the most famous example- they found one councilor had a tiger in his garden and dozens of rolex watches lying around still in there boxes. Wasn't the mayor calleg Gil and bought the local football team!!!!
Old Jan 13th 2023, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

As you say it was all about timing and 2008 brought in falls in price which in some areas have never recovered. Unfortunately we bought in 2007 and like many realised propertywas far from an investment in Spain. There are still properties that were for sale 15 years ago for sale where we live. That said a few have recently sold so maybe things are improving? We never bought hoping for profit but for somewhere to retire to. We used it as an holiday home for 11 years and then moved into it full time.So if one gets use out of the property it lessens the pain. If looking to make a good profit I would look at other ways than investing in property in Spain. Its not imòssible to make money on property here in Spain but location and type of property dictate end result so if looking for profit very careful research is required.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
As you say it was all about timing and 2008 brought in falls in price which in some areas have never recovered. Unfortunately we bought in 2007 and like many realised propertywas far from an investment in Spain. There are still properties that were for sale 15 years ago for sale where we live. That said a few have recently sold so maybe things are improving? We never bought hoping for profit but for somewhere to retire to. We used it as an holiday home for 11 years and then moved into it full time.So if one gets use out of the property it lessens the pain. If looking to make a good profit I would look at other ways than investing in property in Spain. Its not imòssible to make money on property here in Spain but location and type of property dictate end result so if looking for profit very careful research is required.
I suppose it's a bit like buying a new car or boat and expect the value to drop once it's in use. Saying that, we are all the lucky ones who are/were able to buy and a lot of people will never be able to do that.
With global warming and the way things are going anything can happen. With Brexit people already have to pay higher taxes on rental income and who knows what will happen next. The government could introduce more environmental taxes in the future and even holiday home owners who have properties in areas with water scarcity could be forced to pay up soon, then filling up the pool will be an even more expensive luxury that people can't afford.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose it's a bit like buying a new car or boat and expect the value to drop once it's in use. Saying that, we are all the lucky ones who are/were able to buy and a lot of people will never be able to do that.
With global warming and the way things are going anything can happen. With Brexit people already have to pay higher taxes on rental income and who knows what will happen next. The government could introduce more environmental taxes in the future and even holiday home owners who have properties in areas with water scarcity could be forced to pay up soon, then filling up the pool will be an even more expensive luxury that people can't afford.
Yes agree.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bouldrd
Hi, I am considering moving to Spain in the next 10 years or so. With this in mind, I am looking to acquire my first property in the Canary Islands (Fuerteventura) with the intention to rent it out to holidaymakers purely as an investment. I understand that the amount of Spanish tax on rental income you pay as a non-resident is dependent on the country in which you are currently a fiscal resident and not your nationality. In my case, since I live in the UK, this rental activity will then be subject to a tax rate of 24% as I am a non-EU resident instead of 19% (even though I am a Belgian national). Also, expenses such as letting agency costs, electricity, IBI etc. are non-deductible.

I ran some calculations to estimate what kind of profit margin I could expect. Based on a rental property that generates an annual rental income of €17,459 and expenses of €9,834, the following tax will have to be paid in Spain:
  • Total rental income: €17,459
  • Non-deductible expenses: €9,834 (€2,793 (AirBnb) + €1,210 (Cleaning) + €154 (Insurance) + €3,491 (Letting agency) + €425 (Electricity) + €184 (Water) + €394 (Internet) + €150 (IBI) + €1,032 (Service charge))
  • Spanish tax due (24%): €4,190 (€17,459 * 0.24)
  • Yearly profit remaining: €3,434 (€17,459-€9,834-€4,190)
This leaves me with a monthly profit of €286 which surely isn’t worth the trouble — yet I hear many UK nationals still continue to invest in Spain even after Brexit… What am I missing?

I have two issues: the high tax rate and the non-deductible expenses from the Spanish tax that are driving this very low profit.

Are there other options to invest in Spain to make it more cost-effective perhaps by acquiring the property via a UK company or a Spanish company?

Any tips or expertise to share?
I am not sure where you got your list of "non-deductible" expenses from. I am not an expert on Spanish taxes, though I know a bit about tax in general, but I found this list on a lawyer's web site of tax deductible expenses on vacation rentals in Spain:
  • Mortgage interest on loans for the purchase or refurbishment of the property.
  • Costs associated with the purchase of the property, for example, transfer tax and legal fees.
  • Non-national taxes, e.g. local council rates (IBI).
  • Upkeep and repair costs.
  • Community fees.
  • Insurance policy payments.
  • Utility fees, i.e. gas, water and electricity costs if you pay them, not the tenant.
  • Marketing costs if you promote your property on letting platforms.
This is the site I found if you're interested.

Depending on how your accountant interprets "upkeep and repair", and "community costs", most, if not all, of the expenses you listed may be deductible, which could mean that you have a substantial difference between cash flow (relatively high) and taxable income (relatively low), which would be why people can and do invest in rental properties even when the apparent profit is low. If you are able to obtain mortgage finance, and therefore have mortgage interest to deduct, I can imagine it might be possible to have an investment with positive cash flow that actually has zero taxable income.

The page I linked has some good information, which I am not going to repeat, but I think the whole page bears reading, as there are some sneaky twists in the rules, such as deductibility of expenses is prorated by the time the property is rented, so if you only rent it for 8 months of the year, only 2/3 of the expenses are deductible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 13th 2023 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not sure where you got your list of "non-deductible" expenses from.
Those who are resident in non-EU country, like UK now, cannot deduct expenses from rental income, according to Spanish tax law.

Last edited by Joppa; Jan 13th 2023 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Those who live in non-EU country, like UK now, cannot deduct expenses from rental income, according to Spanish tax law.
So he needs a Spanish corporation, or at least one recognised as an entity taxable in Spain, to hold his investment.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So he needs a Spanish corporation, or at least one recognised as an entity taxable in Spain, to hold his investment.
Yes, but for a modest rental income of, say, a few thousand euro per annum, such a tax-saving plan is unrealistic.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I suspect that there are still very many properties empty in Spain since Brexit, and that there will be a lot of people fighting for a decrease number of visitors, the long term rental market is much more difficult with visits limited in time. 10 years ago there were abundant empty rental places in mainland Spain due to oversupply, people relying on rental income were having a lot of problems, we were renting and had a huge number of properties to choose from.
Obviously it varies a great deal depending on the area. There are reports virtually every day about the extreme shortage of long term rental properties in the city of Màlaga and rising prices both for rentals and to buy.

La gentrificación en El Perchel: Alquilan un estudio de 30 metros por 600 euros (malagahoy.es)

El precio de la vivienda en Málaga sube un 15,5% en el último trimestre de 2022 (malagahoy.es)

The situation is very different even within Andalucia, with provinces other than Málaga having shown much smaller increases and in Sevilla and Cordoba provinces prices even fell slightly.

In my own large town 30km East of Málaga, not a tourist resort so not the same problem with Air B&B or other tourist short term rentals taking over the rental market, there are currently 772 properties listed for sale on Idealista (although some of those will be multiple listings of the same properties) but just 19 listed for long term rent - and 3 of those are duplicate listings of the same property, and 3 others are not actually long term rentals at all as they are only available from October to May.

Last edited by Lynn R; Jan 14th 2023 at 9:26 am.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Long-term rentals in short supply here to (Alicante) lots of Oct-May but they want to rent to short-term holiday lets market in the high summer season in beach areas - and probably take cash (1000€ plus a week in playa san Juan) which they probably 'forget' to declare on their declaration.

In 2013 I took a long-term 3-bed let in Playa San Juan and lived there for 6 years for 550€ a month - the landlord claimed his son needed it and so I had to leave - expect he is on the scam now and there is nothing equivalent 550€ barely gets you a studio if you can even find it.

After that experience, I decided to buy again as I didn't want to evict my tenants (or return to those areas) for the security of tenure.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico

there is nothing equivalent 550€ barely gets you a studio if you can even find it.
One of the rental listings on Idealista for my town is a 1 bedroom wooden house on one of those park home sites - €600 per month! And this is supposedly a cheap area for property.

The rental situation in Torre del Mar, the resort town 5km from us and part of the same municipality, is just the same as you describe around Alicante. Lots of pretty cheap rentals advertised for October to May, but practically nothing available for all year round rent, because owners know they can charge very high prices for short term summer rentals. And this is a resort which not many British tourists have ever come to, there is not much hotel accommodation and a great many of the apartments are owned by Spanish families from further North, so the market has not suffered at all because of Brexit.

Last edited by Lynn R; Jan 14th 2023 at 9:43 am.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rents have gone through the roof (so to speak) way above even the inflation we have now. There was an article in El Pais recently (can't find the link now) of a basement storeroom being let for 2500€ a month!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.