Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

buying in spain

buying in spain

Old Jun 6th 2019, 9:23 am
Just Joined

stevig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default buying in spain

We are looking to buy a house in Spain , for long stays initially but to move permenantly , we have been told that once we purchase we will automatically be registered as a Spanish resident , ' is this correct .we are both 62 and live in Scotland where we benefit from free precriptions , will i be able to get free or subsidised prescriptions ?
Steve .
Old Jun 6th 2019, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying in spain

Nothing will be automatically done in Spain. When you buy you will need to have an NIE number either this is a fiscal identity number for life that gets you on the system. If you stay in Spain for more than 90 days at a time you will need to sign what is commonly known as foreigners register, basically this is making yourself a resident in Spain, you have to arrange and do this not automatic. If you spend over 183 days total in Spain per year 1 Jan - 31 Dec you then become tax (fiscal resident in Spain) and are liable for tax on worldwide income. Even without being tax resident if you own property in Spain even holiday home you are liable and must pay what is known as non resident tax on that property. Prescriptions you will not get free not sure how S1 for those residents works in Scotland given unlike England you get free prescriptions at 60. However I would guess same rule applies and that is if you make yourself resident and are a state pensioner you get S1 for free healthcare in Spain for you and immediate dependants.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Everybody gets free prescriptions in Scotland. Go to gov.uk/living in Spain website.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Free prescriptions in Wales regardless of age

My medical practise issues a one month supply at a time, if I'm off on my travels they will give me two months at a time no problem, so the OP should ask their GP.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry my mistake I meant in England we only get free prescriptions at 60 or over. In Spain there are no free prescriptions but subsidised if state pension age. To benefit from that as a UK citizen you need to have the S1 form and be registered on Spanish health system. To get S1 you need to be entitled to UK state pension or certain benefits. So although you get free prescriptions in Scotland you won't in Spain.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 9:59 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Sorry my mistake I meant in England we only get free prescriptions at 60 or over. In Spain there are no free prescriptions but subsidised if state pension age. To benefit from that as a UK citizen you need to have the S1 form and be registered on Spanish health system. To get S1 you need to be entitled to UK state pension or certain benefits. So although you get free prescriptions in Scotland you won't in Spain.
Prescriptions are FREE in Comm. Valencia for state pensioners whose income is less than 18k
Old Jun 8th 2019, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Prescriptions are FREE in Comm. Valencia for state pensioners whose income is less than 18k
Ok I was not aware of that so generalising. However the point I am trying to make is the OP states both they and their partner are below UK state pension age (being 62) as they live in Scotland currently get free prescriptions that will not be the case even from what you if they move to Valencia. That was the question they asked will we still get free prescriptions. Neither as far as I am aware be entitled to an S1 unless on specific benefits? As under state pension age.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Yes but only after you have made your first tax return which, depending on when you actually arrive, can be up to two years later.

Prior to that of course the system does not know your income and therefore cannot apply a nil charge. I doubt there are any arrangements for retrospective claims.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Yes but only after you have made your first tax return which, depending on when you actually arrive, can be up to two years later.

Prior to that of course the system does not know your income and therefore cannot apply a nil charge. I doubt there are any arrangements for retrospective claims.
I live in the Valencian Province on S1 since 2006, no prescription charges levied even before the first tax form completed. There was a short spell in 2012 when I had to pay a small amount due to the government not refunding the chemists but it did not last long and the prescriptions became free again.

Rosemary

Old Jun 9th 2019, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The OP and their partner are not state pension age they are 62 so unless on specific benefits no S1. The question was can "they" get free prescriptions.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Hello All
It all seems very confusing .
Old Jun 10th 2019, 1:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

You can do your tax return sooner if you wish - there is NO need to wait 2 years
Old Jun 15th 2019, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what bobd22 is trying to emphasise is that the poster and wife are NOT state pensioners yet. So no S1 for them.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 7:33 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevig
Hello All
It all seems very confusing .
How many prescriptions do you need / year and what are they?
Unless you have a medical condition, the cost will be a very small part of your budget.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Am on medication for Angina and irregular heart beat , reflux and prostate problems , ran out of one of my medication in Spain last year and had to buy from farmacia , the irregular heart beat one cost me just short of 100 euros .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.