Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BUYING A PLACE IN PLAYA FLAMENCA ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

BUYING A PLACE IN PLAYA FLAMENCA ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Chebella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUYING A PLACE IN PLAYA FLAMENCA ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Hello Fellow expats,

Thank you for reading our message.

We are looking to purchase a Townhouse in Playa Flamenca and was wondering if anyone could give us some honest advice please?

We nearly brought in Algorfa back in 2008 until we realised it was not for us for varied reasons, However, when we go to Spain which is very often we always visit good old Algorfa. We love the surrounding areas to Torrivieja.

We realise the current news bulletins is off-putting but it's now or never. So any questions to ask the agents when we visit at the weekend would be great.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Regards & thanking you all in advance
Chebella
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:58 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUYING A PLACE IN PLAYA FLAMENCA ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

I wouldn't ask your agent, but ask other people in the know, honest estate agents, bank staff, sensible people who have lived in the area for a while. There are some internet sites without a vested interest where you can also find honest advice.

We have friends who live in Playa Flamenca. All of their houses have drastically fallen in value over the past few years and they are falling further.

If you pay 120,000 for a normal quad now, it will be worth 80,000 by Christmas.

You can rent one of the thousands available for 400 Euros a month, and the rental values are falling too.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:31 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HBG
I wouldn't ask your agent, but ask other people in the know, honest estate agents, bank staff, sensible people who have lived in the area for a while. There are some internet sites without a vested interest where you can also find honest advice.

We have friends who live in Playa Flamenca. All of their houses have drastically fallen in value over the past few years and they are falling further.

If you pay 120,000 for a normal quad now, it will be worth 80,000 by Christmas.

You can rent one of the thousands available for 400 Euros a month, and the rental values are falling too.
I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also another point to take on board, is that rental charges can legally only be increased annually by the consumer price index!

John.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for all your advice, I know we will always get a mixed view as that's what the world is about.

HBG, would you elaborate a bit more about the Playa Flamenca houses dropping in price like what your friends are experiencing. What urb do they live on & is it near to the market?

We have looked at several areas around Torrievieja and do like Playa Flamenca, also for the health option for myself.

Doe's anyone know what facilities there are for children? Being politically correct! Is is a place where "the older" community would go in the Winter as I have friends who would like to go there & blend in?

Thank you
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to reply without sounding a bit negative, but about falling house prices, there really is no other way. We know people who have bought at 200K four years ago, and those houses are now valued at 100K.

There's nothing wrong with Playa Flamenca, it has most things people want including decent beaches. The problems with unfinished urbanisations are slowly being overcome by Orihuela council but it will take a few more years.

It's not really full of expat pensioners, many younger people live there too with their children. Some of the newer urbanisations are dead in the winter.

But why buy into a falling market when there are ample renting opportunities?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

The area we are looking at is Amapolas, does anyone know this area?

We appreciate that property has been down spiralling over the past few years & probabably will do even more, but we feel it is right for us to purchase soon as we went down this road in 2008 & it doesn't feel that different other than the property we are looking at is worth more & if the market ever recovers we should make something if not have a place for our family to spend more time in for the future.

We have thought about renting but we have stayed more in hotels with our young children to help us tour the areas more easier.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Chelbela

I would heed their advice and rent for a year, that way you are close at hand if thier is a bargain at hand, and I also think the prices will drop further, its a buyers market, so no rush, only my opinion though.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chebella
The area we are looking at is Amapolas, does anyone know this area?

We appreciate that property has been down spiralling over the past few years & probabably will do even more, but we feel it is right for us to purchase soon as we went down this road in 2008 & it doesn't feel that different other than the property we are looking at is worth more & if the market ever recovers we should make something if not have a place for our family to spend more time in for the future.

We have thought about renting but we have stayed more in hotels with our young children to help us tour the areas more easier.
I would rent in the first instance. Playa Flamenca is nice, we lived there when we first moved to Spain, there is a nice beach area, and plenty of bars restaurants, most types of cooking except real Spanish. We lived on Calle Niagara, which is very close to the market, but doesn't get the traffic that much as it is a walk away, although if you get a place in either Iria III or IV there is a shortcut. I would rent as you can then check the place out and decide what YOU want.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

australia11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chebella
Hello Fellow expats,

Thank you for reading our message.

We are looking to purchase a Townhouse in Playa Flamenca and was wondering if anyone could give us some honest advice please?

We nearly brought in Algorfa back in 2008 until we realised it was not for us for varied reasons, However, when we go to Spain which is very often we always visit good old Algorfa. We love the surrounding areas to Torrivieja.

We realise the current news bulletins is off-putting but it's now or never. So any questions to ask the agents when we visit at the weekend would be great.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Regards & thanking you all in advance
Chebella
Hi chebella
We have a holiday home in playa flamenca (parque del duque) playa is really nice area, plenty to do even in the winter months. they also building a big shopping center just down the road. 25 min walk to playa flamenca beach. we have a 3 bed 2 bath quad penthouse, for sale buy the way. but good luck anyway.
Andy...
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:43 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Originally Posted by australia11
Hi chebella
We have a holiday home in playa flamenca (parque del duque) playa is really nice area, plenty to do even in the winter months. they also building a big shopping center just down the road. 25 min walk to playa flamenca beach. we have a 3 bed 2 bath quad penthouse, for sale buy the way. but good luck anyway.
Andy...
What is a quad penthouse? I haven't got to grips with Spanish estate agent terminology. To me a bungalow is a single storey building (unless it's a dormer) but in Spain it can have up to three floors according to the properties on Kyero and similar sites.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

A bungalow here in our little area of Spain , we would call a beach hut in the uk and a chalet here, we would call a bungalow in the UK !
Well my friends do, I still think as you do
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:35 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
What is a quad penthouse? I haven't got to grips with Spanish estate agent terminology. To me a bungalow is a single storey building (unless it's a dormer) but in Spain it can have up to three floors according to the properties on Kyero and similar sites.
I know what a quad is.....I had to ask on here a few years ago - it's a block of 4 houses where they all have 2 common walls - like 2 lots of semis joined back to back so none have a back door

we all know what a penthouse is...............so maybe it's just one of 4 top floor flats
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

phippsmaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chebella, I live on Iria 111 Calle Niagara we have a private gate that takes us through to the Saturday Market and is also the shortcut to the School. Playa Flamenca has everything you need with all the necessary services in place. I have lived here for 7 years and have wanted for nothing. We also have the new Torrevieja Hospital within easy reach. You mention Ampolas, its not to everyones taste but you really need to go there and talk to the other residents. One thing to ask straight off is how much the community fees are, they vary greatly ours are only 220 euros a year which is one of the lowest, there are some places where you could be paying nearly that a Month !!. Make sure there is a communal pool, you will need it in the heat of the summer, also its a great place to go and have a natter and make friends. We are thinking about moving to somewhere a bit cooler, maybe France but as my Husband has made a good business here for himself it is something that really needs looking into, as I said we have so much here and we seem to be in the right place being close to all of it but far enough away from all the holidaymakers noise and traffic if you know what I mean. I will just let you know that My neighbour opposite has his 3 bed 2 bath house up for sale for 100,000 euros as he and his wife are going back to the UK for medical reasons. Just to say you have made a good choice in choosing Playa Flamenca its a great place to live.