Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying LHD vehicle in UK to Bring over to Spain

Buying LHD vehicle in UK to Bring over to Spain

Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying LHD vehicle in UK to Bring over to Spain

Originally Posted by olivia
Thanks JDR
So its the same timescale. So we have to decide where we are going to spend most of our time. At this moment in time I think only 3 months in the U.K. So Spain it is. If circumstances change we have to re register? expensive in Spain? cheap in U.K? [If thats right its the only thing that is]
Next question = cost to run!
Tax & Insurance Spain with U.K. cover 'v' Tax & Insurance U.K. with Europe cover.
I'm keeping you bussy!
You will find it a struggle to get a UK firm give you six months cover out of the UK, also most of the insurances revert to minimum cover (IE: third party,some not even fire and theft) when driven in another country.
Also when you are in Spain for more than 3 months you are obliged to sign on at the local police station for permanent residence.
This makes you a resident of Spain and you should not be driving a foreign vehicle thus the need to start changing to Spanish plates.
I know there are lots of UK reg cars here for longer but you will run the risk of the Guardia impounding it until all the paperwork is sorted, like one of the members found out can be a very expensive experience.
I think the best thing to do is keep all your inward and outward ferry/tunnel tickets with you to show them, although as it is a camper I don`t think they would bother stopping you so much as they assume you are living in it and probably not a Spanish resident anyway.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember someone posting last year that there was a difficulty in matriculating motorhomes over here due to certificates of conformity.

As JDR says, it all depends on your residency status. If you spend 9 months here then as a non resident you would only be able to use the car for 6 months. However due to Spanish requirements having to sign on the foreignors register would make you a resident and therefore not able to drive the car as UK plated
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
You will find it a struggle to get a UK firm give you six months cover out of the UK, also most of the insurances revert to minimum cover (IE: third party,some not even fire and theft) when driven in another country.
Also when you are in Spain for more than 3 months you are obliged to sign on at the local police station for permanent residence.
This makes you a resident of Spain and you should not be driving a foreign vehicle thus the need to start changing to Spanish plates.
I know there are lots of UK reg cars here for longer but you will run the risk of the Guardia impounding it until all the paperwork is sorted, like one of the members found out can be a very expensive experience.
I think the best thing to do is keep all your inward and outward ferry/tunnel tickets with you to show them, although as it is a camper I don`t think they would bother stopping you so much as they assume you are living in it and probably not a Spanish resident anyway.
Also when you are in Spain for more than 3 months you are obliged to sign on at the local police station for permanent residence

I have been here almost 9 months, intend to apply for residency, just can't seem to get up at 5am to start queueing at 630am!!! Would this be a problem,living here and not having residency? Sorry to hijack thread
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:06 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
Also when you are in Spain for more than 3 months you are obliged to sign on at the local police station for permanent residence

I have been here almost 9 months, intend to apply for residency, just can't seem to get up at 5am to start queueing at 630am!!! Would this be a problem,living here and not having residency? Sorry to hijack thread
Is the residency the green paper?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:30 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Is the residency the green paper?
Yes, unless the person is from outside the EU, in which case its the plastic card which we all used to have.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:38 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by linda Coyle

Fuengirola police station have an appointment system. It was introduced a couple of years ago because the Comisario (The chief of a National Police station) did not like the untidy queue outside his station.

Maybe if people were to approach the Comisario at their (local) PolicĂ­a Nacional Station, such a system might be introduced elsewhere too.

As you say, the police here believe, that if you (as an EU citizen) are in Spain permanently for 3 months then you must register as a resident. Others here may not believe that to be so.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 19th 2010 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:38 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
Yes, unless the person is from outside the EU, in which case its the plastic card which we all used to have.
Thought so, I've been here 4 years, was self employed for 2 years and am now an employee and I still haven't got one.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Thought so, I've been here 4 years, was self employed for 2 years and am now an employee and I still haven't got one.
As I said, with certain people in mind: As you say, the police here believe, that if you (as an EU citizen) are in Spain permanently for 3 months then you must register as a resident. Others here may not believe that to be so. ,