Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying in Isla Canela?

Buying in Isla Canela?

Old Jul 29th 2019, 5:32 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying in Isla Canela?

Originally Posted by sevjan
Thanks Jon. I think the beach situation is a worry as that isn't a quick fix. Will see what the situation is when over in September. In terms of car hire we will be renting form Faro - usually one of the local companies Drive4Fun or Travelnet. I avoid Goldcar etc but sometimes use one of the main companies like Sixt/Europcar etc.

I generally find car hire pretty hard work and stressful with the tricks they get up to if you don't secumb to their insurance but found the local companies mentioned much more reasonable.

Who do you tend to use?
Sev
Hi Sev

Im useless at searching, but Ive posted some long posts about rental. If you can search please go for it. However briefly...

Kath like me uses a 'condolidator' Zest, they compare many companies. I also use the annual insurance as Kath does. One rental paying the local company fees pays for the annual multi-use contract.

Ive found that Zest has been more expensive than economycarrentals.com so much so that I lost the Zest multi use discount.

I've recently also found the skyscanner car rental site.

So I compare these 3.

It takes time to get the best deal, and compare read the T&C's and remember to add the extras like additional driver, Spain entry etc. Also consider splitting out a long rental as above. A little bit of back of the envelope totting up 'spreadsheeting' the deals

Of course this takes time, and is a drag, but for a long term rental, its worth some investigation for me, as I have always gotten a good deal. It only happens a few times a year

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 29th 2019 at 5:39 am.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Sev

Also consider splitting out a long rental as above.

Jon
lots of companies say that they have a maximum rental of 30 days. When staying for longer I have split the rental in two, ending the first one at midday on the middle day then starting the second one at the same time as the first one ends. After the booking was confirmed I asked Zest if I could simply keep the same car for the entire period and this was arranged.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 9:50 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
lots of companies say that they have a maximum rental of 30 days. When staying for longer I have split the rental in two, ending the first one at midday on the middle day then starting the second one at the same time as the first one ends. After the booking was confirmed I asked Zest if I could simply keep the same car for the entire period and this was arranged.
Hi Kath

That's Zest - the other 2 I mentioned allow 30+ days rental. You may get a warning "are you sure"....

Also splitting the rental might result in an overall lower price, even after doubling up on say the Spain border card, transponder etc. I suggest this splitting not because of Zests 30 day max policy. It depends on how much time one wants to 'play around' with various quotes. Good to know that even with Zest you can split and then they will find a way to 'join' the split contracts, saving a return mid-travel to Faro, thanks.

Prices change on dates determined by the rental co, and if you have booked pre-price change the old price or the highest price might continue for the whole rental. My next trip is cheaper when split... but the doubling up makes it a hassle and the difference is low and the daily price is excellent in mid-high season. Other times it may be worth it.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 29th 2019 at 9:53 am.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Morning
The bike hire shop by the tennis courts opposite marina 1 has them plus some other interesting forms of transport all good fun
Chris
Old Jul 29th 2019, 11:02 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Morning
The bike hire shop by the tennis courts opposite marina 1 has them plus some other interesting forms of transport all good fun
Chris
Great, thanks Chris
Jon
Old Jul 30th 2019, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
we always book through Zest (formerly Economycars) and usually use either Rentauto or Travelrent. I know that Jon would agree but would also have other options. We have had problems when using both (car not working when using Rentauto and a dent in the car when using Travelrent) and both times the relevant company dealt with the problem to our satisfaction. We also have a separate insurance: insurance4carhire which costs about £50 pa and then never pay for the extra insurance. Never been a problem.
I agree with Kath about Zest with one addition : if you are only renting once a year then the insurance offered by Zest is v.good value, although for multiple rentals the Insurance4carhire or similar is better. We usually use Drive4fun through Zest as they have given us good and cheerful service over the years.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 3:45 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I agree with Kath about Zest with one addition : if you are only renting once a year then the insurance offered by Zest is v.good value, although for multiple rentals the Insurance4carhire or similar is better. We usually use Drive4fun through Zest as they have given us good and cheerful service over the years.
I remember now, as a non UK resident, I had to stop my contract with Insurance4carhire and now mine is iCarhireinsurance.com another UK company. So if you are a UK resident, you have a couple of options now

My last premium was £41.93 for a year, multiple use up to 65 days max each time and up to 9 drivers named on the rental docs covered. Full European cover

In one single rental one can easily hit this number with the local company or the consolidators insurance. I would recommend taking a policy like this even if it turns our to be a few quid more. You never know if you might be renting again, in any EUcountry... And if so you + others are covered.

Drive4fun have the best cars IMO, but I find them a bit pushy to buy their insurance, even though I tell them up front that I dont need it. But they are a good option and dont overcharge for the transponder.

Our preferred rentalco is airauto. They are really friendly, their cars arent as new, but they arent fussy about the odd scratch. We arent bothered to be 'seen' in an older car. But the best part, for us, is that they are the closest, just opposite the P4 so we can walk there, no hanging around for the bus and then the possible rush of people all checking in at the rental desk at the same time.

Also very handy in case of some delay on returning, we can get to the flight quickly on foot if necessary.

I really like Zest, their client service is good and they include a free additional driver, but I go for the best price, and sadly for well over a year they haven't been competitive (for us) and I lost my regular-client discount as well a few months ago. We also always rent for more than 30 days, and its a bit more of a hassle being forced to split the rental, though its good to know from Kath that they will work around that once you have made the 2 orders

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 30th 2019 at 3:59 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 7:21 am
Just Joined

sevjan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Sev

Im useless at searching, but Ive posted some long posts about rental. If you can search please go for it. However briefly...

Kath like me uses a 'condolidator' Zest, they compare many companies. I also use the annual insurance as Kath does. One rental paying the local company fees pays for the annual multi-use contract.

Ive found that Zest has been more expensive than economycarrentals.com so much so that I lost the Zest multi use discount.

I've recently also found the skyscanner car rental site.

So I compare these 3.

It takes time to get the best deal, and compare read the T&C's and remember to add the extras like additional driver, Spain entry etc. Also consider splitting out a long rental as above. A little bit of back of the envelope totting up 'spreadsheeting' the deals

Of course this takes time, and is a drag, but for a long term rental, its worth some investigation for me, as I have always gotten a good deal. It only happens a few times a year

Jon
Thanks Jon. I have had a look at Zest and and researched some of the company feedback and definitely the way to go - picked Drive4fun for the week.