Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Spain, with a UK address.

Buying a car in Spain, with a UK address.

Old May 28th 2019, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

smartest_smarty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in Spain, with a UK address.

Hi all - I hope you can advise me.

I would like to buy a car in Spain and leave it there for when I’m there.

I travel there often, but don’t have a residence there.

Is it possible to buy a car in Spain, but register it to a UK address?

Of course I’m happy to insure it in Spain and get the ITV there. It’s just the registration I’m not sure about.

Any answers would be appreciated.
Old May 28th 2019, 7:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Spain, with a UK address.

No way can you do that, it will have to be registered to a Spanish address and when you buy one, they may well insist that you are registered on the local Padron, which you cannot do it you do not have a property or long term rental contract.
Old May 29th 2019, 7:45 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Spain, with a UK address.

The reason they need an address is because Spanish vehicle/road tax (IVTM) is collected locally (by your town hall) and not nationally. For that to happen, they need to know which town you live in for them to collect that tax.
Old May 31st 2019, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buying a car in Spain, with a UK address.

Originally Posted by smartest_smarty
Hi all - I hope you can advise me.

I would like to buy a car in Spain and leave it there for when I’m there.

I travel there often, but don’t have a residence there.

Is it possible to buy a car in Spain, but register it to a UK address?

Of course I’m happy to insure it in Spain and get the ITV there. It’s just the registration I’m not sure about.

Any answers would be appreciated.
No it is not possible to buy a car in Spain with a UK address as it is not possible to buy a car in the UK with a Spanish address. You need certain documents to transfer the car into your name which does vary slightly from one area to another. We had to prove our residence with a Padron which is proof from your local Town Hall. Why dont you just hire one for your stay?