Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BUYING CAR IN SPAIN

BUYING CAR IN SPAIN

Old May 20th 2013, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Eurosystem0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUYING CAR IN SPAIN

First apologies if the answer to my question is elsewhere. i have looked.
Problem.
I have bought a house in Torreblanca Fuengirola. For Inheritance purposes i have bought it in my daughters name. She has NEI Number, has her name on deeds, etc etc.

I want to buy a car in Spain to leave in Spain for use by the whole family.
I have now discovered I cannot purchase because I dont have my name on deeds or a rental agreement.!

Question: If I was to buy a car in my daughters name and produce copies of her Passport, NEI certificate, Deeds with her name, Can I buy a car WITHOUT her actually being in Country to sign things? Is there any other documentation required (eg bank Statement/Utility bill)

There is no finance involved.

I want to buy a car but she has no plans to come out to Spain in the near future.

Any advice appreciated.

PS. Reference my thread on bringing out a Harley. Ive given up!!!!
Old May 20th 2013, 10:59 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUYING CAR IN SPAIN

Originally Posted by Eurosystem0
First apologies if the answer to my question is elsewhere. i have looked.
Problem.
I have bought a house in Torreblanca Fuengirola. For Inheritance purposes i have bought it in my daughters name. She has NEI Number, has her name on deeds, etc etc.

I want to buy a car in Spain to leave in Spain for use by the whole family.
I have now discovered I cannot purchase because I dont have my name on deeds or a rental agreement.!

Question: If I was to buy a car in my daughters name and produce copies of her Passport, NEI certificate, Deeds with her name, Can I buy a car WITHOUT her actually being in Country to sign things? Is there any other documentation required (eg bank Statement/Utility bill)

There is no finance involved.

I want to buy a car but she has no plans to come out to Spain in the near future.

Any advice appreciated.

PS. Reference my thread on bringing out a Harley. Ive given up!!!!

Firstly it's NIE not NEI - just might confuse people.

Is this a holiday home or will you be living there permanently?

What they will want is for you to prove that you live here - in some areas, you can't own and run a Spanish car unless you do.

The easiest thing to do, although strictly speaking it's not correct, is to sign on the padron at your local town hall. With this document and your NIE you will be able to purchase a vehicle.

Remember that any car left here still requires an ITV, tax and insurance.
Old May 20th 2013, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Firstly it's NIE not NEI - just might confuse people.

Is this a holiday home or will you be living there permanently?

What they will want is for you to prove that you live here - in some areas, you can't own and run a Spanish car unless you do.

The easiest thing to do, although strictly speaking it's not correct, is to sign on the padron at your local town hall. With this document and your NIE you will be able to purchase a vehicle.

Remember that any car left here still requires an ITV, tax and insurance.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Its just a holiday home. daughters have "NIE" as non-residents.

Whats a Padron?
What do I have to have to get it - the padron.
I understand about the ITV, Tax and Insurance.
regards
Old May 20th 2013, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong but I thought that the Government were having a crackdown on those signed on the padron who are not resident?
Old May 20th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We have literally bought a car today , we were at the tax office etc in Almería and they wanted NIE, and Residencia, not interested in the Empadronamiento (padrón).Had to produce copies off both, also show originals. There was 4% purchase tax also 52€ to change owner.

The 4% goes on the government list Price of the cars worth, not the purchase price.

So factor all this in the cost.
Old May 21st 2013, 5:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you have evidence of residencia you do not need to show padron.

Why give up on your Harley dream machine? All one needs to do is ride it / or in the case of a Harley (LOL) frieght it home once a year for an MOT.

Did you know Davidson's decendents were Scottish? > http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-...aker-1-2291800

If you tire of your holiday home in the sun. The Davidson family home has been restored and is available to rent > http://www.facebook.com/thedavidsonlegacy

Last edited by missile; May 21st 2013 at 5:56 am.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

But the OP can't show a residencia because it's a holiday home and he's not resident here!

You are correct about the padron which is why I said it was not strictly correct but it might be the best solution if it's possible.

PADRON - you sign onto this at your local town hall to show that you have property in the area and are living there. The town hall can then use this fact to ask for more money from central government.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Searching on this topic on internet gives quite a few opinions/experiences but seems to be that depends on how used to dealing with the issue the dealer/gestor is (one and the same I would think as dealer would use a gestor). Seemingly it can be done without being on the padron or resident so long as proof of property rental or escrutira with you named on it, passport and NIE?
Old May 21st 2013, 8:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That is the problem - he hasn't got a property or a rental contract.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes sorry I forgot house was in the daughters name so I suppose any car would have to be bought the same way in daughters name.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to your local Trafico office and ask them what the rules are. The rules are supposed to be national rules and nothing has changed on the Traffic website.
For anyone interested see dgt.es, tramites y multas, tu coche, cambio de titularidad,

Here in Alicante my friend, a non resident car buyer just had to show her passport and NIE. We did all the paperwork about a month ago, no problem. But the NIE was a must have, the original - not a photocopy.
Your daughter could put the car in her name, a gestor would do all the paperwork as long as she signs an authorisation form.
So, check with trafico but you will need to get an NIE number - a gestor can do this for you.
Or, go to a gestor and ask them to do it.
Or anyone who speaks Spanish can do it for you, as long as you can trust them 100%.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
If you have evidence of residencia you do not need to show padron.

Why give up on your Harley dream machine? All one needs to do is ride it / or in the case of a Harley (LOL) frieght it home once a year for an MOT.

http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/1.2...1954252127.jpg
Did you know Davidson's decendents were Scottish? > http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-...aker-1-2291800

If you tire of your holiday home in the sun. The Davidson family home has been restored and is available to rent > http://www.facebook.com/thedavidsonlegacy

Just to ship it one way is between £400 and £600 so that between £800 and £1200 just to get the MOT- unless you know of a cheaper way to get it home. For me riding it all that way is not an option
Old May 22nd 2013, 11:44 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy riding and for me the journey is an adventure. Most Brits travel "home" at least once a year. Thus if you time a visit for when your MOT is due, the cost is not an issue.

If you want to ship and can be flexible on dates you can often arrange a good deal for a part load. These guys are very reliable http://www.chasmortimer.co.uk/

It is much more convenient and in the long run cheaper to buy a Spanish car / bike.

Last edited by missile; May 22nd 2013 at 11:50 pm.
Old May 23rd 2013, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
I enjoy riding and for me the journey is an adventure. Most Brits travel "home" at least once a year. Thus if you time a visit for when your MOT is due, the cost is not an issue.

If you want to ship and can be flexible on dates you can often arrange a good deal for a part load. These guys are very reliable http://www.chasmortimer.co.uk/

It is much more convenient and in the long run cheaper to buy a Spanish car / bike.
Thanks but for mr riding home that far is not an option.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am riding my Triumph RS Sprint over in the summer staying a couple of months then riding back, like Missile says I am treating it as an adventure mind I won't say what the wife calls it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.