Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Spain

Buying a car in Spain

Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice
Default Buying a car in Spain

Hi can you tell me is it possible to buy a Spanish registerd car in Spain with just a NIE number.I have a house in Spain but live in the UK for now,I haven't got a pardon or residencia. Iv'e looked in free beer but couldn't find the answer. Thanks Stuart.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying a car in Spain

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley
Hi can you tell me is it possible to buy a Spanish registerd car in Spain with just a NIE number.I have a house in Spain but live in the UK for now,I haven't got a pardon or residencia. Iv'e looked in free beer but couldn't find the answer. Thanks Stuart.
I think you will find the answer is NO. You have to be on the 'padron'. So get registered with your local Ayuntimento and proceed from there.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finca steve
I think you will find the answer is NO. You have to be on the 'padron'. So get registered with your local Ayuntimento and proceed from there.
Maybe he is not allowed to own a Spanish reg car if he is a UK resident ?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought two cars over the last three yrs using only my NIE number plus proof of address.
So I think you will find the answer is yes. But then again it could all depend on the dealers interpretation of things.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe he is not allowed to own a Spanish reg car if he is a UK resident ?
Well thats a problem. I currently own three vehicles all registered to me here in Spain and as yet I am not a resident.
So how does that work?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats a problem. I currently own three vehicles all registered to me here in Spain and as yet I am not a resident.
So how does that work?
He doesn`t live here, but I believe you do, so you should be registered as resident in Spain if you have been here longer than three months.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
He doesn`t live here, but I believe you do, so you should be registered as resident in Spain if you have been here longer than three months.
Yes, well, we still come and go.

I am a tax resident in the UK.

Perhaps Fred James can put his 5 penny worth in here, if you own a house it must be possible to own and register a car here even if you are not a resident. It is another matter if you do not own a property or have a forwarding address here.

After all they want your money for the registration, taxes etc and also need to know where to send the fines/police etc., if you have a problem.

We just spent 4 months touring the States and purchased an RV using a local address, not ours, we were not resident and no one was at all interested so long as the sales tax was paid and the vehicle was legal in all respects. Spain I suspect is not too different. Mind you this was California where the sales tax is around 9% and I know that other States where there is little or no sales tax can require proof of residency such as utility bills etc.

Digressing a little so apologies.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

enny worth in here, if you own a house it must be possible to own and register a car here even if you are not a resident. It is another matter if you do not own a property or have a forwarding address here.
Yes it is possible to register a car here at your property if you don't live here if you are not a resident ... but if you live here then you are supposed to register on the foreigners list within 3 months.

The theory is that the car can be used 6 months of the year and for the other 6 months it cant be used. Policing that would be an interesting challenge
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice

Thanks for all your promt replies.The car in question is a private sale not a dealer,and maybe a electric/water bill could also be used as proof of address?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Think you will find you need the empadronamiento (padron) to buy a car, we had to for our scooters. easy to do, dont have to live here permy to register.

Remember it all goes towards facilities in your town, if people registered then more money is paid into the area. so go ahead and help your town, register
Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In theory only residents can own/buy a Spanish registered car.

In reality if you can produce a Padron certificate, and in some cases just your NIE and a copy of your escritura, you can usually buy a car - it depends on the locality and to some extent the dealer or the gestor who is handling the transfer/registration.

Anyone who wishes to can sign on the foreigners register but this does not make you a resident in the legal/fiscal sense.

You can also sign on the padron but usually they now require a copy of your registration certificate. Although you are actually only allowed to sign on the padron if your address is your PERMANENT address most town halls are happy to accept anyone as it increases their payment from the state.

The whole registration/residency thing is a complete mess and totally confusing for most people. The only type of residency that means anything in the legal sense is fiscal residency which you get by default after spending more than 183 days in Spain in one year irrespective of whether you have signed on the foreigners register or the padron.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:58 am
Just Joined

stevex9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You will need a PADRON and your NIE. It's easy and cheap to get on a PADRON. You do not need to be resident or registered in Spain.

We brought two cars last year and that was all we needed.

If you are unsure, speak with a local car dealer, even though you are buying them privately. I would be more concerned if you are buying them privately, about getting them registered at TRAFICO in your name. That bit is the nightmare.

Cheers and good luck.

Steve.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:28 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevex9
Hi

You will need a PADRON and your NIE. It's easy and cheap to get on a PADRON. You do not need to be resident or registered in Spain.

We brought two cars last year and that was all we needed.

If you are unsure, speak with a local car dealer, even though you are buying them privately. I would be more concerned if you are buying them privately, about getting them registered at TRAFICO in your name. That bit is the nightmare.

Cheers and good luck.

Steve.

In many areas you DO now need to be on the resident's list in order to sign on to the Padron