Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

languages - learning

languages - learning

Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:25 pm
Banned

pchelpinenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default languages - learning

when i first come to spain i attempted to learn some spanish. I was quite succesful. even at my 50 something years i now speak a good level of spanish. anyway, i used to go out each day with some phrases on a notepad and test them in shops. just wasting assistants time asking questions about products.

Freuqently I went to the little window at the side of macdonalds opposite the bullring and RENFE to buy an ice cream cone. in spanish its called CONO ... cone... later that day I hear a young couple arguing in the street and he kept shouting at her i thought CONO CONO CONO .. iwondered why he was calling her that. later checking with a spanish friend I discovered a word very similar with a very different meaning.

so be careful.. if you have an english keyboard without ñ años and anos are slightly different things. cono and coño are slightly different things.... by he way if you dont have ñ on your keyboard (you'll need it if you go into a spanish chat and someone asks your age - see años and anos above) hold down alt and press 1 + 6 + 4

Last edited by pchelpinenglish; Jun 20th 2010 at 12:26 pm. Reason: to change it
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: languages - learning

Or use a "ny" if you don't have the tilde key...

tengo 50 anyos

It's all in the free beer thread though?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:08 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Or use a "ny" if you don't have the tilde key...

tengo 50 anyos

It's all in the free beer thread though?
Right, it may not be correct but for us 2 finger typists I prefer your method for the ny.....especially with a laptop where there is no number pad.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:30 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pchelpinenglish
when i first come to spain i attempted to learn some spanish. I was quite succesful. even at my 50 something years i now speak a good level of spanish. anyway, i used to go out each day with some phrases on a notepad and test them in shops. just wasting assistants time asking questions about products.

Freuqently I went to the little window at the side of macdonalds opposite the bullring and RENFE to buy an ice cream cone. in spanish its called CONO ... cone... later that day I hear a young couple arguing in the street and he kept shouting at her i thought CONO CONO CONO .. iwondered why he was calling her that. later checking with a spanish friend I discovered a word very similar with a very different meaning.

so be careful.. if you have an english keyboard without ñ años and anos are slightly different things. cono and coño are slightly different things.... by he way if you dont have ñ on your keyboard (you'll need it if you go into a spanish chat and someone asks your age - see años and anos above) hold down alt and press 1 + 6 + 4

If anyone finds it difficult to remember the difference it is best to ask for a cucurucho
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
If anyone finds it difficult to remember the difference it is best to ask for a cucurucho
but you might get mixed up & say cucaracha
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pchelpinenglish
I'd been going to Mercadona for a year before somebody told me I wasn't actually asking for chicken!!! Make sure you pronounce the 'll' in Poll(y)o rather than 'poyo' as I thought it was.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but you might get mixed up & say cucaracha
I dont know, a nice crunchy chocolagte flavoured one, might tast OK, and considered a delicasy in parts of the world.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
I'd been going to Mercadona for a year before somebody told me I wasn't actually asking for chicken!!! Make sure you pronounce the 'll' in Poll(y)o rather than 'poyo' as I thought it was.
I'd be more worried if you were putting an 'a' on the end
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by licinius
You were saying it right, I think I say the LL sound with a mixture of" DJY" sound, if that makes any sense, but, poyo is fine and understood everywhere.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:50 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I dont know, a nice crunchy chocolagte flavoured one, might tast OK, and considered a delicasy in parts of the world.
so I've heard - but the heladería might not be happy if you said it too loud
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:50 am
Banned

I'd be more worried if you were putting an 'a' on the end

Dont tell lies, you love it with an A on the end.

Dont try and come over as prim and proper, because it just wont wash.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:52 am
Banned

so I've heard - but the heladería might not be happy if you said it too loud
But isnt that what you women put on your lips (lipstick)
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Dont tell lies, you love it with an A on the end.

Dont try and come over as prim and proper, because it just wont wask.
off with you - too early for that sort of talk

now I have to go wask myself before I go to worh
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

But isnt that what you women put on your lips (lipstick)
apparently some do

mines coffee flavoured though
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:55 am
Banned

off with you - too early for that sort of talk

now I have to go wask myself before I go to worh
We will have less P taking, I had already changed the spelling mistake, so dont come over all school marmish.

BTW, it is crushed beetles that goes into lipstick......so no woman should ever turn her nose up at a good chunk of black pudding....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.