Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a car - docs required

Buying a car - docs required

Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:51 pm
Costa Blanca lover

BlueChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car - docs required

I own a holiday home near Benitachell and I want to buy a Spanish registered car.
I already have a NIE and in order to get the car I need to be on the Padron, however the town hall tell me that to get this I first need a "Certificado de inscripcion en el registro central de extranjeros" .
Is this residency? If so what eactly does it mean and what are the implications for me in getting this.
I am not a resident in Spain and obviously I pay my taxes in the UK.
Its all very confusing.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car - docs required

I have bought two cars as a none resident in Spain from two different dealers, in two different towns. All they needed both times was a copy of my NIE, a utillity bill in my name to confirm address, Plus the cash.

Last edited by big wheels; Feb 17th 2010 at 10:45 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:44 pm
Costa Blanca lover

BlueChip is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by big wheels
I have bought two cars as a none resident in Spain from two different dealers, in two different towns, and all they needed both times was a copy of my NIE , plus the cash.

Its not the buying the car thats the problem but getting it registered into my name.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Both my old car, and my current one were registered in my name. I receive reminders re the ITV inspection and when the local road tax payment is due.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you stay in Spain for more than 90 days you are obliged to sign onto the register of foreigners after which they will issue a piece of paper to that effect.

This has no implications regarding true fiscal residency in Spain, that is determined by a much longer stay, over 183 days in one year.

As you have found, your town hall will not put you on the padron unless you have this certificate. That is because only people who have their permanent residence in the locality are allowed to sign on.

Some town halls are less strict on this requirement and will issue a padron certificate without proof of residency - often a copy of your escritura or rental agreement will suffice.

I would suggest that you sign onto the register to get the certificate from the police and then take it to the town hall to get your padron certificate.

There are no hidden implications of being on the register of foreigners - as I have said it has nothing to do with tax residency.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:59 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The rules appear to have changed recently (again )

We recently have had to produce the "Certificado de inscripcion en el registro central de extranjeros" where last year we did not. Even simple things like an ITV ! I think it changed on Jan 1st but am not sure

Davexf
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:34 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a run-about car for my wife recently which I saw in a Spanish second-hand car dealers. I handed over the cash, telephoned Linea Directa to get it insured, was issued with a receipt and drove away.

She got the car papers a few weeks later with everything in her name. She does have a NIE number, but I didn’t have it with me and the salesman wasn’t bothered.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:05 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

All of this no documents require etc is ok until the Guardia Civil stops you. If you're documents are not correct then you will find yourself in hot dodo.
What are the chances of getting caught? Who knows? But you have to ask if you are willing to run the risk. Especially as the GC are purchasing more and more ANPR cameras.

Pan down this page until near the bottom.
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/van3.htm

And read this in Spanish
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconoc...atr%C3%ADculas
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:27 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Benidrom I was driving down a short road (strange saying that.....down....wasn´t down or up!) as 2 workmen were talking. One of them, as he was gesticulating, walked backwards and fell off the steep curb. I stopped in time and he fell on the front of my car. Allthough I didn´t hit him, even he and his friends were honest enough to point this out as well, I had to wait for the police. They did the standard alcohol test then asked me for my paper work. I didn´t have everything with me so they took my car and I had to pay to take it from the impound later that day.
As said, it´s ok until you get caught!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:58 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

All this needless panic again. When you get the receipt from the car dealer, it includes permission to drive the vehicle until the other papers are processed. So if you’re stopped by trafico you will have your residencia or passport, driving licence, insurance, the ITV will be displayed, and everything is legal.

We’re not living in a police state, I haven’t found the Spanish authorities all that different to the ones back in the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
[COLOR=black][FONT=&quot]All of this no documents require etc is ok until the Guardia Civil stops you. If you're documents are not correct then you will find yourself in hot dodo.
Who said "no documents required"
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

http://spainlawyer.com/guialegal/gui...05010300000000
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Free Beer thread ?