Buying a car

Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

JB_free is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car

Hello. I will be travelling to Spain in a couple of months. Initially I will be moving around in order to get the feel of the place in the hope of making the stay permanent if the lifestyle suits.

The idea is to do volunteer work via websites such as workaway and helpx. Basically I will do work for people in lieu of accommodation and food. Therefore I will not have what you would call a static / permanent address as I would be moving from one place to another each month in order to see as many different areas as possible.

My question is: Is there anyway I can buy a Spanish registered car without having a permanent address?

Regards JB
Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car

I think the short answer is no because the car will be subject to tax and that is regional and so the car needs to be associated to a specific address. But if you choose to not actually spend much time there I guess there is not a problem. Your driving licence (which really needs to be Spanish if you are resident) also needs an address as of course will the insurance policy.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 3:45 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hire cars are much cheaper in Spain than UK.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:40 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to use the address of the local YMCA. What is permanent? a day, a year, to graveyard? You will need a NIE.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 10:11 am
Just Joined

JB_free is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johncarzx
You will have to use the address of the local YMCA. What is permanent? a day, a year, to graveyard? You will need a NIE.
Thanks for the reply.

My initial plan is to spend a couple of years travelling throughout Spain, this will allow me check out many different areas, ensure I suit Spain and Spain suits me and
learn the language. If I decide to stay, permanent means: settle in Spain, work, residency, house / apartment, etc

Are you saying a local YMCA would allow me to use their address for registering a car and applying for a NIE?

Thanks.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 10:27 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB_free
Thanks for the reply.

My initial plan is to spend a couple of years travelling throughout Spain, this will allow me check out many different areas, ensure I suit Spain and Spain suits me and
learn the language. If I decide to stay, permanent means: settle in Spain, work, residency, house / apartment, etc

Are you saying a local YMCA would allow me to use their address for registering a car and applying for a NIE?

Thanks.
Why would the YMCA need to know?When applying for a NIE and buying a car, if they ask you where you live you would only be telling the truth if you and your duffle coat were staying at the YMCA.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I think OP would also need to be on the padron at the address he/she declares, or at least I did when I bought my last car in Alicante province.

Insurance would also be a problem, as OP ought to declare changes of "home" address.

Last edited by missile; Sep 7th 2018 at 1:55 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I think OP would also need to be on the padron at the address he/she declares, or at least I did when I bought my last car in Alicante province.

Insurance would also be a problem, as OP ought to declare changes of "home" address.
Good point re padron certainly when I bought a vehicle it was either padron, escrutira or tennancy agreement .As always with Spain it will vary by region but one of the above will be required.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:12 pm
Banned

That cannot be correct because non residents (holiday home owners) are not allowed to be on the Padron register but are entitled to purchase a car. What is needed to purchase a vehicle is your ID such as passport or ID card and a NIE number. Yes some dealers may ask for the kitchen sink, but they are just making it up, Spain does suffer from photocopy addiction.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm non resident property owner I have an escrutira? Those that don't own property will have a rental agreement? But if you are just driving around the country bunking up wherever you will have neither.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:29 pm
Banned

Yes insurance may be a bit tricky. Perhaps all taken into account the OP would be best suited to the new model launched last week.

Spain’s new XRX TURBO
Old Sep 7th 2018, 3:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johncarzx
That cannot be correct because non residents (holiday home owners) are not allowed to be on the Padron register but are entitled to purchase a car. What is needed to purchase a vehicle is your ID such as passport or ID card and a NIE number. Yes some dealers may ask for the kitchen sink, but they are just making it up, Spain does suffer from photocopy addiction.
It is correct, but if a Padron is needed most towns couldn't care less whether you are resident or not, even though strictly, it is illegal. However they would not accept anything less than an escritura or rental contract so you are still stuffed.

Whether it is a Padron or other documents, Trafico will insist on details of where you live, otherwise they cannot send a fine to you.

Very recently a non resident friend was trying to buy a car in Malaga province and Trafico absolutely refused to do the change without a Padron certificate. The sale fell through. Talking to a local gestor, he said that Granada Trafico might accept copies of utilities bills in the buyers name at the buyers address, but by then the car had been sold to someone else.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Stillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is correct, but if a Padron is needed most towns couldn't care less whether you are resident or not, even though strictly, it is illegal. However they would not accept anything less than an escritura or rental contract so you are still stuffed.

Whether it is a Padron or other documents, Trafico will insist on details of where you live, otherwise they cannot send a fine to you.

Very recently a non resident friend was trying to buy a car in Malaga province and Trafico absolutely refused to do the change without a Padron certificate. The sale fell through. Talking to a local gestor, he said that Granada Trafico might accept copies of utilities bills in the buyers name at the buyers address, but by then the car had been sold to someone else.
I am non res and have had a Spanish car for 10+ years. Now I am thinking of changing it and had been advised by my legal rep that my current NIE (1997) needs updating before I can purchase another car. I'm assuming the advice is correct.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 7:44 am
Started off with nothing

Que, NIE is valid for life. I think you may have misunderstood your "legal rep"
Old Sep 8th 2018, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Stillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond repute

Que, NIE is valid for life. I think you may have misunderstood your "legal rep"
I have been told that the number is indeed valid for life, but an old certificate (mine is 1997) should be updated. I actual have an appointment with the police dept to do this. Now I'm confused!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.