Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying a bar in Spain?

Buying a bar in Spain?

Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

noz03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Buying a bar in Spain?

I know this is quite a specific topic, but I've noticed a few of the members on here have experience with this so maybe someone can help.

In a nutshell, I plan to buy a bar here, in Madrid. I have experience in night life promotion and event management, and am planning to partner with someone who has bar/restaurant managerial experience in Spain. We also plan to be extremely diligent and use lawyers, accountants, and other professionals (to check the property/electronics, etc) to avoid as many potential problems as possible.

I would however like to avoid using agents/brokers when searching for and buying the business, but am struggling to find good potential opportunities without them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find these potential bars to purchase? My searches only come up with out dated posts of very undesirable businesses. My Spanish is just about ok once I get onto the right websites, but finding the right websites seems to be my problem.

My second question, which may be a little too specific... But I would like to have the occasional special event with amateur to semi-professional DJs. But our budget won't be able to afford a place with a live music licence. To me, I don't see much difference between a "DJ" playing digital music from a laptop/minimal equipment, or a bartender picking songs on a playlist. But does anyone know if this would be possible with only a regular music licence? And what the restrictions might be? I've been trying to find some comprehensive information on it but so far without much luck.

Any other general advice is also very welcome
Old Jan 17th 2019, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a bar in Spain?

Originally Posted by noz03
I know this is quite a specific topic, but I've noticed a few of the members on here have experience with this so maybe someone can help.

In a nutshell, I plan to buy a bar here, in Madrid. I have experience in night life promotion and event management, and am planning to partner with someone who has bar/restaurant managerial experience in Spain. We also plan to be extremely diligent and use lawyers, accountants, and other professionals (to check the property/electronics, etc) to avoid as many potential problems as possible.

I would however like to avoid using agents/brokers when searching for and buying the business, but am struggling to find good potential opportunities without them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find these potential bars to purchase? My searches only come up with out dated posts of very undesirable businesses. My Spanish is just about ok once I get onto the right websites, but finding the right websites seems to be my problem.

My second question, which may be a little too specific... But I would like to have the occasional special event with amateur to semi-professional DJs. But our budget won't be able to afford a place with a live music licence. To me, I don't see much difference between a "DJ" playing digital music from a laptop/minimal equipment, or a bartender picking songs on a playlist. But does anyone know if this would be possible with only a regular music licence? And what the restrictions might be? I've been trying to find some comprehensive information on it but so far without much luck.

Any other general advice is also very welcome
The biggest consumption in a typical spanish bar is coffee followed by wine and beer. Have you tried talking to companies such as Leche Pacual ( Madrid HQ ) they supply coffee and other products and will know bars that are up for sale or "Traspaso" and , depending on your demand will finance equipment for you .
As for music have a look at the comments on this blog : https://www.onlineautonomos.com/blog...ca-en-negocio/
You will see it gives a few options on how to play music without a licence - one of them is write and play your own songs :
The norm is to pay for a licence via SGAE.

As a "By the way" - police acfivity in pursuit of unlicenced TV transmissions, sports channels of course, has increased considerably over the last few months..
Old Jan 17th 2019, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
The biggest consumption in a typical spanish bar is coffee followed by wine and beer. Have you tried talking to companies such as Leche Pacual ( Madrid HQ ) they supply coffee and other products and will know bars that are up for sale or "Traspaso" and , depending on your demand will finance equipment for you .
As for music have a look at the comments on this blog :
You will see it gives a few options on how to play music without a licence - one of them is write and play your own songs :
The norm is to pay for a licence via SGAE.

As a "By the way" - police acfivity in pursuit of unlicenced TV transmissions, sports channels of course, has increased considerably over the last few months..
Thanks for your reply, we haven't quite decided the theme of the bar yet, but it is likely to be more around alcohol and nightlife.

And yes, we will of course need a SGAE licence, but as I understand there is also a sort of noise licence, where to play live music (regardless of copy write) you must have the correct sound proofing or prove that you would not be bothering anyone. For regular playlist music, there is a different licence which is easier to get. But this is about as much as I know. I don't know if the licence is up to a certain number of decibels, or if the live music is only for instruments/singing and amature DJs are ok. I couldn't find the details online anywhere :/
Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you get it 'from the horse's mouth' ie local ayuntamiento.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spainrico
I suggest you get it 'from the horse's mouth' ie local ayuntamiento.
You mean they have information about businesses for sale at the town hall??
Old Jan 19th 2019, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

No. I mean they will explain local licensing and noise regulations etc. And you will need a Licencia de aperatura.