Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To buy or NOT to buy??

To buy or NOT to buy??

Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To buy or NOT to buy??

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor
I think you are ONLY looking at this from a young persons OR 1st time buyers point of view, someone who needs to borrow large amounts of cash! I myself was NOT able to buy in London as a young man (im in my 40s now), it took time to build up.....not everyone who buys in London needs the sort of loan you are talking about, there are lots of cash buyers................ A better way to look at it perhaps is the following......."I have 400K, where is the best place over a 10 year period for me to invest that 400K"? If you invested that 400K in London property AGAINST Spain property there is ONLY 1 winner in capital growth & Yield return over a 10 year period, London wins by a long way!
Spain would certainly not be my choice to try to get myself onto the property ladder....its a great place to own a property and through this buy yourself a "lifestyle" at sometime in your life, BUT, IMHO this should only be considered once you have a certain amount of property security in somewhere like UK! I should add that I own in both London and Spain so im not being "Anti" investing in Spain!
You have to look at it from a 1st time buyers view. If 1st time buyers can't even afford a 1 bed apartment, how are you supposed to move up the so called property ladder. At the moment 1st time buyers need mummy and daddy for the deposit, so you know that property is too expensive and prices will soon go down. If not, then these people will be stuck in their 1 bed apartments for the next few years, because there are no new buyers. The point is also that it makes sense to buy in the place you live and work, so if I have 400K and I'm working and living in Madrid, why would I buy in London?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cricketman
In the past 10 years then of course

But investments are made only taking into account the future!

This is when your point of view is completely flawed. You are assuming that what has happened in the past 10 years will contiue to happen for the next 10 years

That point of view could not be more foolish

If I had £400k cash then I certainly wouldnt buy a London 1 bed flat with it. If I had £40 million cash then sure, as it would be a sensible investment as part of a large investment portfolio, but then so would a property in Spain

Dont be so rude to people you dont know!

You dont know me or my property portfolio!

Calling people "foolish" is just rude!

If you look at London prices over 10 year periods over the past 40 years the investor has always been on a winner, I have decided to keep my "chips" in the pot & will now look at the next "10year window, the yield is fantastic right now and continues to rise as will capital growth over the next 10 years!

On 10 year windows London wins hands down over Spain...........Spain however provides a fine lifestyle, which is how we look at our property investments over here!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

In the past 10 years then of course

But investments are made only taking into account the future!

This is when your point of view is completely flawed. You are assuming that what has happened in the past 10 years will contiue to happen for the next 10 years

That point of view could not be more foolish
Totally agree, it's amazing that people don't learn
Because it's the capital prices will never drop
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Because it's the capital prices will never drop
To be fair, I think some people are incapable of learning

That's part of the problem with the system!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Because it's the capital prices will never drop:
Of course the Capital's prices can rise and fall but over a sustained period the evidence clearly shows an upward curve.
I am not an investor in property but do live in a London home purchased 30 years ago.
It's value has gone up tenfold in that time and whilst no real benefit to me I can fully understand why people invest in London simply because of the capital growth achievable.
Yes there may be a correction but in the longer term property in London has proved to be a good bet.
At the end of the day if you buy other investments that rise and fall you can only rely on historical data to make a reasoned decision and property is no different.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

Look, Spain is a great place to live, many of us on this forum have lived here 30 years or more!

I always look at people who give me advice to see what they have achieved and therefore no how I can value what they say.......through doing this I semi retired at 45 and just do a little part time work to keep myself active, my investments over 30 years have been properties in Spain AND London and still are today...........Over those 30 years of investment Spain has brought me more happiness in my "lifestyle", However, London wins hands down regarding return on the investment! So, my advice based on those 30 years of experience and looking at a 10 year cash purchase is buy in Spain to live or holiday in your home and enjoy a great lifestyle, BUT if you are looking for a financial return on your money London is the place!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Yes there may be a correction but in the longer term property in London has proved to be a good bet.
Yes it HAS proved to be a good bet, past tense. I could write a book on the many reasons for this

I could also write a book on why past performance is not a prediction for the future

There are only two end games for London property prices
- Prices lose about 50% of their value to fall in line with salaries in the capital
- Prices continue to grow like they have in the last 10 years. If this is the case, then the owners will become pension funds, Arab shieks etc. and anyone who wants to live in London will have to rent off these investment funds. In effect Londoners would become peons with no right to own property

If the latter happens then London may lose its attraction to the best and brightest who then may seek to build a life in other capitals who havent sold their soul to "investors"
Old Jan 6th 2015, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it HAS proved to be a good bet, past tense. I could write a book on the many reasons for this

I could also write a book on why past performance is not a prediction for the future

There are only two end games for London property prices
- Prices lose about 50% of their value to fall in line with salaries in the capital
- Prices continue to grow like they have in the last 10 years. If this is the case, then the owners will become pension funds, Arab shieks etc. and anyone who wants to live in London will have to rent off these investment funds. In effect Londoners would become peons with no right to own property

If the latter happens then London may lose its attraction to the best and brightest who then may seek to build a life in other capitals who havent sold their soul to "investors"
This is a possibility.....also many thousands of Londoners are selling up and leaving the City, many live in Spain other countries and south east and west of the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dont be so rude to people you dont know!

You dont know me or my property portfolio!

Calling people "foolish" is just rude!

If you look at London prices over 10 year periods over the past 40 years the investor has always been on a winner, I have decided to keep my "chips" in the pot & will now look at the next "10year window, the yield is fantastic right now and continues to rise as will capital growth over the next 10 years!

On 10 year windows London wins hands down over Spain...........Spain however provides a fine lifestyle, which is how we look at our property investments over here!
He did not call you foolish, he called your point of view foolish.

"That point of view could not be more foolish"

You do not need to feel slighted atall.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about "Lifestyle" is that the building and the country it is in have little to do with "Lifestyle".

If you do not have enough money, if your direct neighbours take a dislike to you, if there are disputes about land or access, if the local area gets run down or you become reliant on others to care for you or there is a bereavement etc.

Then your "Lifestyle" is up the creek! You have to be prepared and able to de-invest and return to the place that you moved from initially. There are so many variables that you have so little control over, unless you have a fairly large pot of money to your name.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, my advice based on those 30 years of experience and looking at a 10 year cash purchase is buy in Spain to live or holiday in your home and enjoy a great lifestyle, BUT if you are looking for a financial return on your money London is the place!
With due respect, you are again talking about the past. Of course your property in London has given you a great return in the past 30 years. The value of it has risen by an almost unimaginable rate

But that is no guide to future performance, at all

It is a bit like telling me what the lottery results were for last week. That's no help at all. I need to know the results for next week!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

With due respect, you are again talking about the past. Of course your property in London has given you a great return in the past 30 years. The value of it has risen by an almost unimaginable rate

But that is no guide to future performance, at all

It is a bit like telling me what the lottery results were for last week. That's no help at all. I need to know the results for next week!

You wont get lottery results for next week on any property investment! my Current london investment is 9 years old, experts predict huge increases to properties near crossrail stations! are you likely to see better returns over both a 5 and 10 year period on that sort of investment against a property investment in Spain? Will leave for the rest of you to decide, i know where my money is going!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You wont get lottery results for next week on any property investment! my Current london investment is 9 years old, experts predict huge increases to properties near crossrail stations! are you likely to see better returns over both a 5 and 10 year period on that sort of investment against a property investment in Spain? Will leave for the rest of you to decide, i know where my money is going!
I wish you luck, but I have to say that with property investment, always beware of so-called "experts". They usually have an alterior motive

If I had to choose now, for an investment, then yes I would choice Spain over London. Spanish property prices are closer to the long term average in terms of salary ratios
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you luck, but I have to say that with property investment, always beware of so-called "experts". They usually have an alterior motive

If I had to choose now, for an investment, then yes I would choice Spain over London. Spanish property prices are closer to the long term average in terms of salary ratios

Buy low sell high.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

You would choose Spain OVER London as property investment over next 5 or 10 years? You sound like just the guy I need, I have 2 mainland Spain properties on the market, please look in the Classified section & get back to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.