Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To buy or NOT to buy??

To buy or NOT to buy??

Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: To buy or NOT to buy??

Here is another example ofhow some people are investing in London property for UNDER 100K My HQ, Building 22, Cadogan Road, Royal Arsenal Riverside: £82,250 35% Share of a good size One Bedroom Flat - UNDER OFFER SEPTEMBER 2014 - Brand new flats in convenient & quiet location I agree with the poster who said they would not buy in central london, South East of the City is about as good as it gets! Just back to Spain for a moment, I still think its the perfect time to buy here as I dont believe prices will drop any further now...If you have been thinking about a holiday home now is the time!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, I agree.

The caveat - there is a lot of really shit property in Spain in really shit places. Those properties were built during the boom when it seemed like the supply of people willing to buy anything was endless. It didn't have to be good because,

1 - the people were never going to live in it
2 - they would be able to sell it easily for much more than it cost them (or so they thought)

I think there's still room for those prices to drop.

But there are some very nice properties in nice places at prices that are affordable for many British people, and those from other countries, of course. Which means there is demand, and prices should now hold up.

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor
Just back to Spain for a moment, I still think its the perfect time to buy here as I dont believe prices will drop any further now...If you have been thinking about a holiday home now is the time!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor
Here is another example ofhow some people are investing in London property for UNDER 100K My HQ, Building 22, Cadogan Road, Royal Arsenal Riverside: £82,250 35% Share of a good size One Bedroom Flat - UNDER OFFER SEPTEMBER 2014 - Brand new flats in convenient & quiet location I agree with the poster who said they would not buy in central london, South East of the City is about as good as it gets! Just back to Spain for a moment, I still think its the perfect time to buy here as I dont believe prices will drop any further now...If you have been thinking about a holiday home now is the time!
Buying a 35% share of a 1 bed flat and paying rent on the rest isnt exactly investing

South East London has traditionally been the poorest area of London with the worst transport links. Prices are still lower than the rest of London because it isnt quite as nice

But anyway, go for it! Put your money where your mouth is. I am sure you have millions at your disposal to buy a couple of London flats. You must have made a lot of money on that tiny bar of yours! I never knew that the profit margin for a 1 euro caña was so good!

Last edited by cricketman; Jan 8th 2015 at 1:50 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Buying a 35% share of a 1 bed flat and paying rent on the rest isnt exactly investing
Yes, it is.

But anyway, go for it! Put your money where your mouth is. I am sure you have millions at your disposal to buy a couple of London flats. You must have made a lot of money on that tiny bar of yours!
You came across as a rude obnoxious individual. I'm sure you're not and didn't mean to appear so. You might want to avoid doing so in future.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

surreygirl will become famous soon enough

South East London has traditionally been the poorest area of London with the worst transport links. Prices are still lower than the rest of London because it isnt quite as nice

But anyway, go for it! Put your money where your mouth is. I am sure you have millions at your disposal to buy a couple of London flats. You must have made a lot of money on that tiny bar of yours! I never knew that the profit margin for a 1 euro caña was so good!
Crikey where the hell did you get that information "SE London worst transport links........ you do not know London at all
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Horlics
Yes, it is.

You came across as a rude obnoxious individual. I'm sure you're not and didn't mean to appear so. You might want to avoid doing so in future.
It sounds unfortunately a bit like envy
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

You dont "pay rent on the rest", there would already be a sitting tenant in the property which would be run by an agency, you would collect your share of the rent each month, its known as an investment return property!

Greenwich Borough has shown the best capital growth and return in London over the past 12 months, crossrail will add more value to properties in that area!

Spain is still a great place to buy yourself a holiday home at current prices!

Not going to comment on the final bitter & insulting part or your post to be honest, no idea where that came from? enjoy your day!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by surreygirl
Crikey where the hell did you get that information "SE London worst transport links........ you do not know London at all
SE has changed so much, we had no DLR connection in 2005 at Royal Arsenal, I remember when we only had 1 river taxi per day, he, he.......Today we have the DLR direct in to City Airport (5mins) 20 river taxis per day and Crossrail opening in 2018! There is a direct train service every 15mins to Waterloo takes 24mins! The place has certainly changed a great deal over the past 10 years or so!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

There has always been good transport in the SE and SW of London up to town and yes we now have river transport so it is all on the up and up not only that what a wonderful city London is. The most beautiful city in the world and I have seen a few.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds unfortunately a bit like envy
Envy of? Being priced out of a property in London?

I left London in 2007 to come work in Spain. The wife and I were just 26

We did so because even back then on the street we lived on, a house fit for a family cost £2 million. Now they are closer to £3-4 million. yes there are cheaper areas, but the cheap areas in London are awful. No point earning £100k per year if half of it goes on a god forsaken terrace house in Brixton

We loved our 5 years in London but we couldnt see a future there. Happily after 8 years in Spain and looking at our lifestyle here, we made the right decision
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cricketman said"South East London has traditionally been the poorest area of London with the worst transport links. Prices are still lower than the rest of London because it isnt quite as nice"

Goodness where did that come from. I think you will find the East end of London was considered to be the poorest at one time but flats are selling like hot cakes there now and as for transport first class as it is in all London and the suburbs.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

"Envy of? Being priced out of a property in London?" well yes and only five years in London not a long time to spend in a place and know it well as it sounds you dont except that you could not afford to purchase there!!

But as already stated "life style" is different and it is not everyone choice to live and work in London especially if you cannot afford to buy there. I did however life and work there I am a Londoner so I was in my home town.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

"Envy of? Being priced out of a property in London?" well yes and only five years in London not a long time to spend in a place and know it well as it sounds you dont except that you could not afford to purchase there!!

But as already stated "life style" is different and it is not everyone choice to live and work in London especially if you cannot afford to buy there. I did however life and work there I am a Londoner so I was in my home town.

London has grown from the inside out big time and continues to do so, the secret to good investment there within your budget is to buy in an area that has promise for the future, and no, not everywhere outside central London is a dump, far from it!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Envy of? Being priced out of a property in London?" well yes and only five years in London not a long time to spend in a place and know it well as it sounds you dont except that you could not afford to purchase there!!.
Erm, I did buy there and made 6 figures profit when I sold too. It was a 1 bed flat though. Sold for £350k 3 years ago

I accept that we couldnt afford a family house in a nice area. Absolutely. Maybe I move in the wrong circles, but I only know one or two people who can afford to spend £3 million on a small family house, and I am not one of them!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

So you made a big profit and made 6 figure profit. Would it not have been better to have kept it and rented it out as an investment!! Which is what we are talking about. Investment! You could never make that kind of profit in Madrid or any other city come to that except London and also think how much more you would have got for it three years on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.