Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

butterflies and collywobbles

butterflies and collywobbles

Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Default butterflies and collywobbles

Well we have just sold our house, the final part of our plan has happened, we have a beautiful 5 bed farmhouse a casita and a townhouse, money in the bank and no mortgage we have everything sorted, our spanish is getting there as we speak no english when there.
This is what me and my wife want, we have the 92 rioja ready to open but in the cold light of day and the logistics ahead, i have a UK business to wind up, we are both bricking it.
Any idea if this is normal.

Paul and Lesley
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: butterflies and collywobbles

Well if it is, it hasn't hit me yet!

The sale of my house in the UK was completed on 31 October, my partner is already out in Spain getting some jobs sorted out (eg installation of satellite dish and new gas contract) whilst I work the remainder of my notice, I am flying out for good on 28 November and can't wait.

We will be mortgage free and have enough to live on (we hope!) until we start to draw our pensions - I turned 50 in June so will have to be careful to spin out the pennies as there is almost 10 years to go. I am fed up with working and believe it's a vastly over rated way to spend your time - as they say, nobody ever died wishing they'd spent more time at the office.

The only wobble I've had so far was when I went to drop some clothes off at my Dad's house prior to going over to Spain for a week immediately after completion, as I am back living at his house for 3 weeks at present. After leaving I was absolutely overcome with emotion, don't really know why as it wasn't the last time I would be seeing him for a while and I will get back as often as I can to visit. But he is nearly 80 and not in the best of health, just brought it home to me that he won't be around for ever, I guess. If he needs care I can come back from Spain and stay with him for long periods more easily than I could if I was still working full time and living 40 miles away in England, anyway. I have a sister and a brother living close by him so he will not be alone, both have children and I don't so he sees more of them because of the grandchildren than he does me.

Go for it and enjoy, the best of luck to you.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:50 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Being nervous is part of the process, you are starting a new life..

I wish you both all the best in your new adventure
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Being nervous is part of the process, you are starting a new life..

I wish you both all the best in your new adventure
I agree, locking the house doors and putting the keys back through was an enormous step, couldn't dwell as there was a taxi waiting, but realising we weren't going to be dropping in at the farm shop for fresh produce, or the local market where we had many friends we a bit of a wrench, but then there was the excitement of starting a new phase in our lives, after all we were both retired, no parents to worry about, and relatives could get to us from their local airport quicker than they could drive over in the UK. Got a bit of the collywobbles as the plane took off, we were on our way, and wouldn't be back in the UK for some time, when we do go back next year will have been 18 months.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Sue-Tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Well we have just sold our house, the final part of our plan has happened, we have a beautiful 5 bed farmhouse a casita and a townhouse, money in the bank and no mortgage we have everything sorted, our spanish is getting there as we speak no english when there.
This is what me and my wife want, we have the 92 rioja ready to open but in the cold light of day and the logistics ahead, i have a UK business to wind up, we are both bricking it.

Paul and Lesley
Hi Paul and Lesley.

We are nervous and excited about our move too. We sold house in Uk and are in rented prior to move to Spain, March 2007. Family and work mates now know our plans, some upset many happy for us. We will be mortage and debt free living on my husbands pension, he's retiring aged 55. Looking forward to more relaxed style of life.We are in North Wales to.

Sue and Tom
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue-Tom
Hi Paul and Lesley.

We are nervous and excited about our move too. We sold house in Uk and are in rented prior to move to Spain, March 2007. Family and work mates now know our plans, some upset many happy for us. We will be mortage and debt free living on my husbands pension, he's retiring aged 55. Looking forward to more relaxed style of life.We are in North Wales to.

Sue and Tom
Thanks for all your replies, we are really looking forward to a new episode in our lives, we know the emotions we are feeling are normal, nice to touch base with others who have made the adventure come true and those waiting to set out on it.

Best wishes Paul and Lesley
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PaulLes

Paul and Lesley
I imagine it does feel a bit weird when you finally go but the advantage of Spain is it is only a couple of hours away. I must admit I am jealous we are still waiting to sell the house before we can go, i can't wait for the day, good luck anyway.

Helen
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

Best wishes to you all. We are planning to make the move next year, once the house is sold. I am having colliwobbles now about my mom, kids and my grandaughter( i feel guilty about leaving them) but we have to make the move for us I think we are at an age where we can do that We are mid 40's, will have to work but hopefully have a better standard of living than I have at the moment
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most people making a big decision/move have collywobbles - it is probably a good thing having them as it makes you think of every eventuality and then you plan things better

Just keep in mind that first Sangria sitting on your terrace in Espana and that will see you through.

Saying that I am a complete wimp and am still pondering the idea as my hubby wants to move.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

We have handed in our notices, booked our flights for the beginning of January have nowhere to live and no job to go. What the hell!! We are both in our mid 50's and if we don't do it now we never will. So we will either find work and stay or have a six months holiday and come back with our tail between our legs!!!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SueG
We have handed in our notices, booked our flights for the beginning of January have nowhere to live and no job to go. What the hell!! We are both in our mid 50's and if we don't do it now we never will. So we will either find work and stay or have a six months holiday and come back with our tail between our legs!!!
Handing in notice me and hubby can't wait for the day!!!

Helen

Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

kelterjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: butterflies and collywobbles

Originally Posted by SueG
Very brave, where in spain are you going to stay?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelterjon
Very brave, where in spain are you going to stay?
Heading for Albir/Altea just outside Benidorm to start with.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

SueG, Helenp, best of luck to both of you, hopefully as soon as house is sold(up for sale straight after xmas) we will be over there too
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Sue-Tom is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: butterflies and collywobbles

We have now booked our flights for 20th March so count down is running.

Family and friends all informed and are gradually coming around to the idea.

Having trouble finding company to relocate cats for us though.

Actually it feels very good to be finally able to talk to people about what was originally just an idea for the future, retiring to the sun.

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.