Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

butterflies and collywobbles

butterflies and collywobbles

Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Default Re: butterflies and collywobbles

Originally Posted by Sue-Tom
We have now booked our flights for 20th March so count down is running.

Family and friends all informed and are gradually coming around to the idea.

Having trouble finding company to relocate cats for us though.

Actually it feels very good to be finally able to talk to people about what was originally just an idea for the future, retiring to the sun.

Sue
Good luck Sue and Tom, we are over for Xmas and should be there for Feb perminantley, just got business to wind up so all things go.

Paul and Lesley
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue

Have you contacted the airlines directly about re-locating your cats as they should be able to help or point you in the right direction - or do you mean re-locating them in the UK?

The spanish are always taking their dogs with them when they travel so they must have systems in place.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 12:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Good luck Sue and Tom, we are over for Xmas and should be there for Feb perminantley, just got business to wind up so all things go.

Paul and Lesley
I remember coming over here in May last year, just for a holiday although we were going to look at houses. I was talking to my bosses at work about retiring then going back part time before I went on holiday, when I went back after the holiday it was all change. I handed my notice in for early retirement, told them to forget about the part time as I'd found a new home in Spain and would be leaving before the winter. Think we were just fortunate, was only the third house we looked at, but it just felt right. House in the UK was already on the market in any case.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Sue-Tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
Hi Sue

Have you contacted the airlines directly about re-locating your cats as they should be able to help or point you in the right direction - or do you mean re-locating them in the UK?

The spanish are always taking their dogs with them when they travel so they must have systems in place.

Have managed to find a company quite reasonable to relocate cats to spain. They will fly from Manchester a couple of days after us approx £700. We are flying from Liverpool £30. Talkabout flying first class, been told they will most probably be better looked after than us, apparently whilst everyone rushes to get off plane collect baggage etc, Billy and Bobby should be first off. Can't wait to see their expressions as they come around the carousel.

Sue
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Have managed to find a company quite reasonable to relocate cats to spain. They will fly from Manchester a couple of days after us approx £700. We are flying from Liverpool £30. Talkabout flying first class, been told they will most probably be better looked after than us, apparently whilst everyone rushes to get off plane collect baggage etc, Billy and Bobby should be first off. Can't wait to see their expressions as they come around the carousel.

Sue
Hi Sue

Could you pm me the details of the company as we are moving out next year and my husband got a quote for £1,000 just for one cat.

Thanks

Helen
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:52 am
Just Joined

BigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud ofBigDave has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Well we have just sold our house, the final part of our plan has happened, we have a beautiful 5 bed farmhouse a casita and a townhouse, money in the bank and no mortgage we have everything sorted, our spanish is getting there as we speak no english when there.
This is what me and my wife want, we have the 92 rioja ready to open but in the cold light of day and the logistics ahead, i have a UK business to wind up, we are both bricking it.
Any idea if this is normal.

Paul and Lesley
Hi ya both. I have had 'Collywobbles' just thinking about moving out to Spain, let alone DOING it!! :scared:
I think anyone who dreams it, but then has the guts to go ahead with it, is a DIAMOND!!
Me and my Wife are now pulling back on the reins a little, (after some good advice from the Expats on this site) and are going to do more research and study of the language before making the jump.
I am chuffed for you and wish you both all the luck in the world. GO FOR IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK!
All the best and cheers....
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:18 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Sue
If you fly with Iberia they will allow you to take the cats with you inside the cabin on your laps (inside a travel basket of course). It's the only airline I have found that will do this (apart from Nepal Air, Mongolia Express or suchlike).

I believe they charge you per kilo, so as long as they are not total fatties it should work out cheaper that "checking them in" with all the suitcases.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDave
Hi ya both. I have had 'Collywobbles' just thinking about moving out to Spain, let alone DOING it!! :scared:
I think anyone who dreams it, but then has the guts to go ahead with it, is a DIAMOND!!
Me and my Wife are now pulling back on the reins a little, (after some good advice from the Expats on this site) and are going to do more research and study of the language before making the jump.
I am chuffed for you and wish you both all the luck in the world. GO FOR IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK!
All the best and cheers....

Thanks BigDave,

I read through your posts on moving out and there is a lot of good information in the replies, we always had the vision of buying a holiday home inland in Spain, which we did a couple of years back, about that time i got a bad kidney stone which neaded a operation, during routine scans they found a large tumour on my bowel, so another op, i'm glad to say it was benign and could have been there for many years. I am in my mid forties and pretty fit, so makes you step back and re-evaluate things.
We spent probably 12 weeks out of the first year in week slots at our Spanish finca each time meeting more locals, our 72 year old neighbour counts down the days till we return and is probably the nicest guy i have ever met. The language barrier is a strange thing; we know is life history local culture and spend many nights chatting until late in the summer totally in Spanish or his version Pan ocho. He has an amazing past and lives a basic life style farming his few remaining plots and growing his veg. It got to the point where we found each time to leave harder and harder. I am glad to say since the we have been very fortunate as we now are on our way for good.

I read another thread about tollerance of expats by the Spanish and ill give you an example of how its the person not the county that counts, it takes time to intergrate but well worth it.

Our elderley neighbour Antonio watched me walking or should i say trying to figure out the boundaries of our land, he then took me and showed me exactly what was my land and where the bouderies ended, similar to what the estate agent had said only more exact. Explaing that the two spanish families who had owned the property for the previous ten years and only used it for holidays, had never bothered to tend the land.

About 18 months after our initial walk around my bounderies we were sat talking about sunset time, when Antonio pointed accross the valley and asked what we we doing with that land. Looking rather puzzled as it was'nt mine he started to chuckle, thats yours as well, after asking why the previous owners had not pointed this out, is answer was " because i never told them." and they were Spanish townies. The following day we walked over to find some amazing fruit trees all in need of some TLC, which with the help of Antonio we soon sorted out. On the whole the place we found and the people are great, i hope it does'nt change to much over the years.
I hope you get to follow your dreams has we have and good luck.

Paul
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:48 am
Just Joined

lynylou is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Sue-Tom] Hi How are you getting On? We are planning to do it next year. Good Luck