On the buses

Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the buses

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Indian Hill Railways was (as the name suggests, funnily enough!) a documentary series about some of the narrow gauge railway lines built during the days of the British Raj in India which run to places like Darjeeling and Shimla, and about the people who work and travel on them. It was really well done, and there were some memorable characters on it such as the widow who worked as a railway porter (carrying a stack of suitcases on her head) and succeeded in getting a place at a top private school for her son, and an old chap of over 90 who had been a porter and still working as a kind of domestic servant for a stationmaster. I found it fascinating and friends I recommended it to also enjoyed it.

There was also a v. good series a while back called Chinese School - when you watched it you could understand why they seem to be taking over the world now!

I like programmes like that about other countries and people's lives, they may only gloss over things but a lot more interesting than most of the dross that's on!
Thank you so much for this recommendation. The reason I asked you for a description was that I would not buy it if it was purely about the railways because I tend to nod off with that type of programme. However, when you said that it was about the people on the railway I became very interested, love human interest programmes. We ordered it from Amazon and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The 90 year old is amazing, and seeing the womans determination to send her eldest son to the best college was heartwarming, and of course the man who designed his house making sure that he could put in a table tennis table showed how experiences when we are young effect our needs when adult. Really great, thanks again.

Rosemary
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Thank you so much for this recommendation. The reason I asked you for a description was that I would not buy it if it was purely about the railways because I tend to nod off with that type of programme. However, when you said that it was about the people on the railway I became very interested, love human interest programmes. We ordered it from Amazon and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The 90 year old is amazing, and seeing the womans determination to send her eldest son to the best college was heartwarming, and of course the man who designed his house making sure that he could put in a table tennis table showed how experiences when we are young effect our needs when adult. Really great, thanks again.

Rosemary
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, I only wish there were more programmes as good as this on TV instead of so much rubbish!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:01 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I haven't the faintest clue about glossy mags or those who buy them, but when I pass news stands and see such pointless meaningless garbage filling the front cover of well known popular daily news-rags then it really worries me about what sort of nation we've become to subscribe in large numbers to such nonsense.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

+1 vote for Chinese School, very very good viewing (check on youtube).

I have a good friend who taught in Hong Kong for a few years (2005-10), the School still uses 'Front of class' teaching, no group work, and it worked, surprised him to see a system of teaching poo pooed upon in the west actually work. In all his time there every piece of homework was submitted to him on time, he never had to ask a pupil where their homework was. He and his wife are in Cambodia now and much the same is happening there too.

Back on track, 'On The Buses' is on everyday and I've watched a couple of episodes recently and the shows bought back a lot of memories of the time back to me.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 6:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi de Hi now on BBC2.as a tribute to David Croft.
Brilliant series for all the family.