Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Burn baby, burn.

Burn baby, burn.

Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burn baby, burn.

Originally Posted by dmu
Onions are also good if you've got the beginning of a chimney fire.
We were (rather foolishly) burning processionary caterpillar nests in our fireplace this evening and the next door neighbour came to inform us that our chimney was on fire! My French OH immediately chopped up a lot of onions and threw them onto the fire and, within a few minutes, it was all extinguished. Maybe it was coincidence, but I'll always make sure I've got a good stock of onions in the future!
P.S. Off topic, but do you have these awful processionary caterpillars in Spain?
Yep, have alook in the free beer thread. ;-))
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:27 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
P.S. Off topic, but do you have these awful processionary caterpillars in Spain?
We have them in Portugal
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:35 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cleri
We have them in Portugal
They also live in the UK
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by crispy
They also live in the UK
Do they
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:20 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Do they
I thought they were limited to southern Europe...
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:57 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
They also live in the UK
Bloody hell i dint know that - well thats the dogs grounded then
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:41 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Do they
Originally Posted by dmu
I thought they were limited to southern Europe...
Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Bloody hell i dint know that - well thats the dogs grounded then

They maybe known under a different name but they do exist, back in the 80's in South East London we had a dreadful outbreak of them, they look the same and have the same effect on both people and animals will see if I can find some info on it.

Here you

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...mer-north.html

if you google poisonous caterpillars in London you will get a few articals.

Last edited by crispy; Mar 14th 2009 at 2:47 am.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:09 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have no life Bill, I thought you had guessed that already..........

But have you ever wondered how it is that I can sit on the internet any time I want, all day if I want, and still not only have the internet but also live the life I do?

Hmmmmmmm I like your Penguin aviator matt...... Now what do we know about you.... lets see.............

Scared me when I first saw this. But I have had a lay down on the Chaise Longue and feel much better.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Mar 14th 2009 at 11:18 am.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Onions are also good if you've got the beginning of a chimney fire.
We were (rather foolishly) burning processionary caterpillar nests in our fireplace this evening and the next door neighbour came to inform us that our chimney was on fire! My French OH immediately chopped up a lot of onions and threw them onto the fire and, within a few minutes, it was all extinguished. Maybe it was coincidence, but I'll always make sure I've got a good stock of onions in the future!
A jug of water does the same, and a lot less smell it's just the steam that smothers the fire, but even better, get your chimney swept regularly.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I always remember my mum sprinkling salt on the fire to kill it.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 12:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A jug of water does the same, and a lot less smell it's just the steam that smothers the fire, but even better, get your chimney swept regularly.
We had our chimney swept last autumn! And our kindly neighbour said that you should never throw water on the fire - oxygen is released, which accelerates combustion... Yet another neighbour always has some sort of sulphur powder to hand, which apparently smothers it. Sand or earth would also be OK. Anyway, OH's onions did the job.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:51 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
We had our chimney swept last autumn! And our kindly neighbour said that you should never throw water on the fire - oxygen is released, which accelerates combustion... Yet another neighbour always has some sort of sulphur powder to hand, which apparently smothers it. Sand or earth would also be OK. Anyway, OH's onions did the job.
Genegenie would be the best to advise on this, I remember him saying he worked for the fire service as a firefighter.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:55 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Genegenie would be the best to advise on this, I remember him saying he worked for the fire service as a firefighter.
Yeh but wasnt he Welliphant Li
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Yeh but wasnt he Welliphant Li
Does he have a large trunk?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:20 am
Happy in my bubble

Does he have a large trunk?
Dunno Cleri weve yet to find out - infact i dont think he exists at all to be honest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.