Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Burn baby, burn.

Burn baby, burn.

Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:55 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Burn baby, burn.

Gave myself a nasty and unnecessary burn the other day, by the simple process of welding a tower for peas to grow up, so there I was welding the rebar, and I forgot where the hot bit was when I picked it up. By the time I had got from the garage into the house and got it under the cold tap, there was an inch of blister forming.

Wel, I always turn to the veg rack in these cases, cut the root end off an onion and the sap that bleeds out I dab over the burn. It tingles a bit, but the result are so good, it's well worth it. I figured this time that I was out of luck, because this time it was looking nasty very fast. Still, I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't feel like doing any more welding, so I put on one of those clear latex gloves, scraped a spoonful of onion mush off the cut end of the onion and packed it into the glove against the wound. Then I went out into the garden, put on a pair of gardening gloves as well and did a bit of weeding.

Got absorbed, and tho the burn twinged a bit, I had forgotten all about it. An hour or two later I went back into the house, and kicked myself for forgetting the burn and working hard with that hand. Peeled off the glove, and the whole hand was all white and wrinkly - looked quite disgusting. However when it was washed and dried, the blister was down, no pain at all, and two days later the hand is healed completely with just a dark line where the burn was.

If you burn yourself, my advice is reach for the onions.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burn baby, burn.

Oh I do hope you are OK..............

Oh and shouldn't this be in Siesta?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:01 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Oh I do hope you are OK..............

Oh and shouldn't this be in Siesta?
Not a clue. If so, I'm sure it will be moved forthwith.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm pretty damn pleased with it as where it was it would have caused me real grief working.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

thanks for the tip, better keep some onions handy!!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballin
thanks for the tip, better keep some onions handy!!
Ale vera is just as good.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:00 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Lets just wait and see what Bill says shall we?!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:02 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

My onions are burning!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:23 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Alternative remedies tend to work better than mass marketed stuff from the chemist.

A simple google gives lots of advice that`ll not only cure you, but save you some pennies as well.

I`ll certainly try onions is in the future.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I swear by this. Always works for me, although I've yet to get a blister/burn as bad as bils.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:39 pm
bil
Banned

I read about it in an article from a traveller who had visited Afghanistan. He gave himself a good burn on a primus stove, and one of the women there treated him using an onion.

I've not tried Aloe V, but I don't have any of that to hand. Onions on the other hand are pretty ubiquitous.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:40 pm
bil
Banned

Lets just wait and see what Bill says shall we?!
Precious. Gollum.......
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:42 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
Precious. Gollum.......
I have NO idea what that means, but yes, I agree......
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:46 pm
bil
Banned

I have NO idea what that means, but yes, I agree......
Oh, you know. It's a definition I thought up.

I'm impressed with the speed you reply at, and the number of posts you do. Hell, I couldn't find the spare time in the day to do all that and have a life too.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:49 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
Oh, you know. It's a definition I thought up.

I'm impressed with the speed you reply at, and the number of posts you do. Hell, I couldn't find the spare time in the day to do all that and have a life too.
I have no life Bill, I thought you had guessed that already..........

But have you ever wondered how it is that I can sit on the internet any time I want, all day if I want, and still not only have the internet but also live the life I do?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:17 pm
bil
Banned

Well, I guess I'd have to care to ask that.

Plus, I just have more interesting stuff to do. I suppose I'd rather be enjoying the time in the garden, doing some constructive work on the house and generally chilling. It's part of the reason why your response time is so damn fast and regular, and mine tends to be slow and sporadic.

I shall click on send in a moment, and I can visualise a figure hunched over its pc, stroking the keyboard with hairy little palms, squeaking "Precious, my precious!"

It's what gollums do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.