Building Works

Old Mar 15th 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

delbut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Building Works

Hi. Wondered if someone could throw some light on carrying out your own works in Spain.
I know that there are different classes of works: Menor and Mayor and you need to make an application -especially for Obras Mayor -via an architect but I have not read much about the equivilent of our building regulations. I suspect that there are certain standards that need to be "signed off" ? Who signs these off? Is there a Spanish version of a building inspector from the Ayuntamiento or are Spanish builders "qualified" to self-certify? The reason for my question is that I am a qualified bricklayer ( but no longer earn a living from it) and now a qualified building surveyor here in Britain. I have experience in house renovation etc and would like to carry out some of the renovation works on a Spanish property myself. Can you do this? Or would I need a local builder to "oversee" the work?
My apologies if the middle part of this post reads like a job application.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:58 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building Works

Rules vary, depending on where is your property is located and what you intend to do e.g. electrical / plumbing (?)

Last edited by missile; Mar 16th 2015 at 2:00 am.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Building Works

Originally Posted by delbut
Hi. Wondered if someone could throw some light on carrying out your own works in Spain.
I know that there are different classes of works: Menor and Mayor and you need to make an application -especially for Obras Mayor -via an architect but I have not read much about the equivilent of our building regulations. I suspect that there are certain standards that need to be "signed off" ? Who signs these off? Is there a Spanish version of a building inspector from the Ayuntamiento or are Spanish builders "qualified" to self-certify? The reason for my question is that I am a qualified bricklayer ( but no longer earn a living from it) and now a qualified building surveyor here in Britain. I have experience in house renovation etc and would like to carry out some of the renovation works on a Spanish property myself. Can you do this? Or would I need a local builder to "oversee" the work?
My apologies if the middle part of this post reads like a job application.
Yes there are the equivalent of BR's for major works all supervised by the regional Architects college that's why you need one for major jobs.the biggie is the earth quake code as good as any in Europe. The architect would usually sub the structural design to an engineering practise but it would still be signed off by his college and they carry the insurance. Another that is different to UK is the requirement since September 2006 to have solar water heating on new builds and major reforms.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

delbut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building Works

Thanks both