Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Builders Guarantee - if buliders has gone bust ?

Builders Guarantee - if buliders has gone bust ?

Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:49 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Builders Guarantee - if buliders has gone bust ?

Hi all

If the property developer has gone into liquidation what is the situation regarding the builders guarantee ? Is this held with an Insuarnce company or is there no chance of getting anywhere, beleive me I do not expect a positive response.

We have a problem with roof top tiles not being properly laid and no membrane placed down consequently the heavy rain has found all the weak spots and we have leaks, damp and mould. The builders guarantee is a dead end in view of the collapse of the developers and the insurance company say we are not coverred in these circumstances as the problem is down to poor quality build so it looks like we are left to foot the bill ourselves.

I would think the insurance are correct but I do know some folk with the same problem who are having assesors out to look so that seems positive but wondered how they may be able to claim when our has said a definate NO.

Any ideas for when I call back to question them please ?

Thank you

Mel
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:27 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Builders Guarantee - if buliders has gone bust ?

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Hi all

If the property developer has gone into liquidation what is the situation regarding the builders guarantee ? Is this held with an Insuarnce company or is there no chance of getting anywhere, beleive me I do not expect a positive response.

We have a problem with roof top tiles not being properly laid and no membrane placed down consequently the heavy rain has found all the weak spots and we have leaks, damp and mould. The builders guarantee is a dead end in view of the collapse of the developers and the insurance company say we are not coverred in these circumstances as the problem is down to poor quality build so it looks like we are left to foot the bill ourselves.

I would think the insurance are correct but I do know some folk with the same problem who are having assesors out to look so that seems positive but wondered how they may be able to claim when our has said a definate NO.

Any ideas for when I call back to question them please ?

Thank you

Mel
You don't necessarily need a membrane - in fact, the majority of Spanish roofs don't have one. Providing the correct additives are in the concrete, it shouldn't leak (assuming a concrete roof of course).

Ref. the insurers comment - how can they make this judgement? Have they actually been out and inspected the roof? If not, I would recommend that you ask them how they came by that decision and, as you say, speak to your neighbours about what their assessors said.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:38 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Builders Guarantee - if buliders has gone bust ?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You don't necessarily need a membrane - in fact, the majority of Spanish roofs don't have one. Providing the correct additives are in the concrete, it shouldn't leak (assuming a concrete roof of course).

Ref. the insurers comment - how can they make this judgement? Have they actually been out and inspected the roof? If not, I would recommend that you ask them how they came by that decision and, as you say, speak to your neighbours about what their assessors said.

Thanks for your reply, good point about the membrane. I know diddly-squat about this but I know others have had to have a membrane put down so possibly the additives are not there in the concrete.

Yes, I am waiting to see the feedback from other insurers to see what they say.

Appreciate your thoughts.

All the best

Mel