Broadband

Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Broadband

I recently discovered the massive effect a modem router can have on performance. In the UK, I was using SKY for internet, their router gave a constant 14Mb (19Mb max in my area). I then changed to another company (no names no pack drill), whose router cut the speed down to 7 Mb. There is no difference to the set up, just the replacement router! So my next step will be to change to a TP_Link TD-W9980 modem router. Will keep you informed.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Why no names? I would like to avoid it, please.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The routers supplied free by the ISP are usually the cheapest, nastiest rubbish they can get their hands on.

It is always worth paying for a decent one. You pay enough for the actual broadband service over a year that a few extra Euros on a decent router has to make sense.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
The routers supplied free by the ISP are usually the cheapest, nastiest rubbish they can get their hands on.

It is always worth paying for a decent one. You pay enough for the actual broadband service over a year that a few extra Euros on a decent router has to make sense.
Exactly, that's why I'll post on how the TP_LINK performs.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I love TP-Link products. I have 4 TP-Link home plugs to extend the WiFi around the property and until recently had a top of the range modem/router.

I now have a low cost TP-Link cable router supplied by my new ISP and it gives me 50% higher speed than I am contracted for! I may well change it for their top of the range router to improve the speed round the home plug system as there is a slight degradation compared with the speed nearer the router.