Broadband

Old Dec 26th 2015, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broadband

Is it difficult to have broadband installed in rented accommodation ( long term) and if so, are there any special hoops that have to jumped through?
Thank you.
Old Dec 26th 2015, 10:28 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadband

No and no
Old Dec 26th 2015, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks and thanks
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get Services (Telephone/WiFi) on a No Contract basis with no penalties.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Thank you,that's one more off my check list.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Is it difficult to have broadband installed in rented accommodation ( long term) and if so, are there any special hoops that have to jumped through?
Thank you.

Check with the owners of the apartment that they are also agreeable with the installation.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 2:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53
Check with the owners of the apartment that they are also agreeable with the installation.
Is it an apartment? If so, then it would be up to the community rather than the owner.

Really, the owner of whatever has little or no say in whether you have internet installed. Provided no damage is done to the property then there should be no issue.

As a landlord myself, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Again thanks.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bigmomma1
You can get Services (Telephone/WiFi) on a No Contract basis with no penalties.
Bigmomma
Is that a kind of pay as you go service? If so, which company provides the service?
Old Jan 1st 2016, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Interests me too as we are in limbo at the moment using "Her indoors's" mobile.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 8:12 am
Just Joined

CoyBlonde is an unknown quantity at this point

This may be slightly off topic but... Is it still easy to get broadband in the more remote areas too?
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 8:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how remote you are. Normal ADSL comes down copper phone lines and is restricted by the distance from the telephone exchange. Anything over about 2km will probably mean that you are restricted to about 2mb/s and over 5km it may well be unusable.

Most areas that suffer from this problem are fairly well served by WiFi systems based locally. The cost is broadly similar to normal ADSL solutions but more expensive if you want a faster connection. Some may have restricted data allowances. There is usually a transmitter based on the higher ground with line of sight connections to a small antenna or dish on your property.

There are also satellite based solutions and these tend to be the solution if local WiFi is not available.

There are now a number of companies offering broadband using a 4G router giving high speed connections, but if you have good 4G coverage the chances are that you will already be able to use the other cheaper alternatives.

After putting up with a slow wired ADSL connection I recently moved to a WiFi based system. I get up to 45mb/s, a phone connection with free calls within Spain (using my original number) and a mobile contract with up to 1gb of data a month (again, with my old mobile number ported across). The cost is the same as I was paying Movistar on their Fusion contract.

Sadly, this system is fairly local to Granada city and the Granada coast, but no doubt there will be an increase in the availability of such high speed WiFi solutions in other areas.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your message Fred.
I live on the side of Cotobro Valley facing the Marina so cant see Cero Gordo from my house , but I will contact them tomorrow and enquire to see what they say....
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 1:58 pm
Retired and loving it!

Be aware that any Wifi system (WiMax) works by line-of-sight to one of their masts.

We live just 1km from an exchange yet Movistar could only give us 512kbs on their copper lines!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:19 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

After putting up with a slow wired ADSL connection I recently moved to a WiFi based system. I get up to 45mb/s, a phone connection with free calls within Spain (using my original number) and a mobile contract with up to 1gb of data a month (again, with my old mobile number ported across). The cost is the same as I was paying Movistar on their Fusion contract.

Sadly, this system is fairly local to Granada city and the Granada coast, but no doubt there will be an increase in the availability of such high speed WiFi solutions in other areas.
That's extraordinary, Fred, IIRC, you've always been a big fan of fusion.

But this is precisely what we did, and although we went for the lowest speed (8Mb) all the other benefits are same as you describe. But for us, the total cost is slightly less than Movistar. It's worth pointing out that WiMax is now the most popular system around here.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Be aware that any Wifi system (WiMax) works by line-of-sight to one of their masts.

We live just 1km from an exchange yet Movistar could only give us 512kbs on their copper lines!
But they don't tell you that, do they?

When we first signed up for (Telefonica) internet (before there was a WiMax alternative), we went for the big package at 10Mb, with TV too. In the end, it never delivered more than 1Mb, and of course, their TV system didn't work because of it.

We tried to cancel it, but were told that the contract states that 10Mb is a "maximum" speed allowed, and the actual can be much less than that, and so we were contractually obligated to paying the premium price for a year before being allowed to "downgrade" it to their cheapest offering, 3Mb, which again only delivered less than 1Mb.

Luckily WiMax came along... But yes, you need to be line of sight. There are plenty of small mountains around the valleys, so I reckon it's the ideal terrain for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.