Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Old Jan 27th 2022, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Brexit has made no difference to my ability to travel to Spain
Neither did covid
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:16 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree View Post
A lot of of 'hearsay' in your post there Stingychips, but I am actually struggling to understand what point you are actually trying to make...
I stopped taking the post seriously when I read the following...

Originally Posted by Stingychips View Post
I read posts on you tube about Brexit supporters glad that expats have to come home. I’ve read how people are glad swallows can’t just move In and out of countries without contributing. Also heard pro EU people saying they are glad that the poorer more undesirable expats can’t just rock up and live in Spain anymore.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:17 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

But the majority of Brexit supporters never used the freedom of movement. I read posts on you tube about Brexit supporters glad that expats have to come home. I’ve read how people are glad swallows can’t just move In and out of countries without contributing. Also heard pro EU people saying they are glad that the poorer more undesirable expats can’t just rock up and live in Spain anymore. There’s lots of interesting arguments. Maybe Brits went home because the economy and wages and the working conditions are absolute levels ahead of Spain’s. What I earn in a week is what a Spanish tradey earns in a month.

I read (not YouTube) lots of stuff by both rejoiners and leavers, and I've seen nothing that supports your claims. Can you link to some of the videos where these posts were made?
Old Jan 27th 2022, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
I wonder if that could include the silver surfers 😉 5 or 6 months in one go would do nicely without having to exchange driving licence. 👍
Old Jan 27th 2022, 11:16 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I read (not YouTube) lots of stuff by both rejoiners and leavers, and I've seen nothing that supports your claims. Can you link to some of the videos where these posts were made?
Stingychips I've me popcorn ready for the youtube videos you going to post on here.

Old Jan 27th 2022, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Stingychips I've me popcorn ready for the youtube videos you going to post on here.

I'm sitting back waiting too. They should be very interesting.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob View Post
Cheers Fred, I'd read the article before and lets hope it comes off.

My lads a network engineer (software not cable laying) and can do a fare chunk of his job remotely but I found it interesting that when the company asked if people wanted to continue the work from home option a large majority said no, they want to get back to the office, my guess is that people want company and a zoom call don't hack it sort of thing.
I manage a team of network infrastructure and software engineers. I have WFH since 2018, and it’s great but you cannot beat juman interaction. I much prefer the office than rolling out of bed and to my desk in my pjs.

as humans we crave interaction and as much as the digital world has been fun, it just doesn’t cut it anymore. Hybrid models are the future, but even then, I prefer to head in to my office.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:02 am
Account Closed

I've run out of popcorn now.... Hope I don't miss the proof while I'm gone to get more...

Originally Posted by SteveDW View Post
I'm sitting back waiting too. They should be very interesting.
Do I have time to paint a wall and watch it dry?
Old Feb 1st 2022, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point

what you do you want me to prove. That the vast majority of Brexit voters never used their “freedom of movement”. Would of thought that was obvious really.
Old Feb 1st 2022, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
loads of Europeans comment saying they are glad that Brits have to register and pay tax because of Brexit. Just type in Brexit on you tube. And there is no sympathy from Brexit voters for expats that want to spend their money in a different country. It’s a win win for everyone
Old Feb 1st 2022, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breakfasttea View Post
I manage a team of network infrastructure and software engineers. I have WFH since 2018, and it’s great but you cannot beat juman interaction. I much prefer the office than rolling out of bed and to my desk in my pjs.

as humans we crave interaction and as much as the digital world has been fun, it just doesn’t cut it anymore. Hybrid models are the future, but even then, I prefer to head in to my office.
Well people are all different, aren't they.
I used to have an office job but have worked freelance from home for the best part of 20 years now and I have never missed "going to the office"
Old Feb 1st 2022, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

what you do you want me to prove. That the vast majority of Brexit voters never used their “freedom of movement”. Would of thought that was obvious really.
I'm a Brexit voter who never had freedom of movement due to the Spanish attitude over Gibraltar

Hence my Brexit vote.
Old Feb 1st 2022, 11:02 am
Account Closed

This.

But the majority of Brexit supporters never used the freedom of movement. I read posts on you tube about Brexit supporters glad that expats have to come home. I’ve read how people are glad swallows can’t just move In and out of countries without contributing. Also heard pro EU people saying they are glad that the poorer more undesirable expats can’t just rock up and live in Spain anymore. There’s lots of interesting arguments. Maybe Brits went home because the economy and wages and the working conditions are absolute levels ahead of Spain’s. What I earn in a week is what a Spanish tradey earns in a month.
I asked you to link to these videos and screenshot the posts saying what you claim.

And those who are glad expats have to come home have no clue that, no they don't except for any Brits who've tried to stay in Spain post-Brexit without registering as required, and sdespite having been given opportunities since then to legalise that position by the Spanish government.

I'll also address the undesirable comment. Free movement allowed the likes of me to travel to a European country, get a job and an apartment, and on my time off, to learn the kinds of local culture over the months there you don't generally get on a week's holiday to Marbella, Barcelona or Madrid. I worked in Malta, and made friends that I still keep in contact with, and the locals treated us better when they realised we weren't tourists, one of the benefits of a residence card is tourists often get charged more. Who do you think cleans the hotel rooms and does all the crap jobs locals won't do?
Old Feb 1st 2022, 11:36 am
Last resort... format c:/

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

That's cause they're old and stuck in the UK for the rest of their lease-time on this planet. They could just as well have voted for shutting down Heathrow, the channel tunnel, or upping the price of a passport to 500 quid. Selfishness has no boundaries with such people.

The younger generation is the one that will be hurt most. But I'd still stake my money on the UK slipping back in via the back door to the EEA. The US had Trump and MAGA and somehow clawed back out of that mess (at least for the time being), we have Boris and Brexit and hopefully the same idiotic circus will come to an end too.

Anyone know when the next bunch of stats on (official) numbers of UK citizens moving to/from Spain will be available or do they simply lump all the non-EU people into one?
Old Feb 1st 2022, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article in one of the daily UK rags about the increase in brits going down the golden visa route. A steady increase in brits selling their homes in the UK for well over the €500k needed for the visa and moving is being seen said some estate agent in Spain. Also a big increase in buyers from Poland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.