Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Old Jan 22nd 2022, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Originally Posted by Joppa
Yes, seems that way but I suppose most pre-Brexit NLV applicants have had no access to S1 or equivalent so had no choice but to get private insurance. Spain can change the visa conditions to exempt S1 holders from private medical insurance but they haven't done it yet.
Although you can see how DWP could potentially get a bit fed-up of folk who fancy moving to the EU applying for their S1s ahead of submitting their visa applications, then finding out they don't qualify for the visa so they won't be moving after all, but their S1s have been issued already, More efficient for DWP staff if they only have to deal with ones the who really do move.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Should start to find out this summer. I think a lot of younger Brits will still move out. Ones that can work from home. Maybe they will have to move about every 3 months to stay within the 90 days. Still probably would work out cheaper than the UK with its eye watering house prices,
What is a lot? There will always be people who come and go but the majority of people can't work from home and everything is regulated. Apart from that, a lot of people just don't want to live in Spain and while we believe it's paradise, it's not for everyone. When you look at house price to income ratio Spain is not cheap either. I know a Spanish guy who works in Bilbao and company only allows 2 days work from home, so living in Torrevieja is not an option and he's not interested either.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
I thought we were talking about resident Britons or Britons who think they're resident but didn't do the paperwork. Tourists get max 90 days in the Shengen area, they don't count as residents in the figures. Or did you expect tourists to be able to rock up and get vaccinated?
Benidorm were offering "just rock up and get vaccinated" to everyone, including brit tourists, brit under the radar "residents" just a couple of months ago in a van on the street in the "little england" section of the town.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
I'm somewhat baffled as to what point you are trying to make.

You clearly have some kind of interest in Spain but so far you have told us you were applying for an Irish passport (presumably because you now finally realise that the 90/180 rule will be strictly enforced for UK nationals) then you had second thoughts about said Irish passport, went off the idea of moving to Spain and decided to become a lorry driver in the UK. Wow.

I wonder if Brexit supporters are finally waking up to the ugly reality of being third country nationals and realising it's cold out there.

​​​​
Stingychips has been hit by the 90/180 rule and wants to get round the rules somehow. When the new EU border system comes in this summer it will be even harder.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

I'm somewhat baffled as to what point you are trying to make.

You clearly have some kind of interest in Spain but so far you have told us you were applying for an Irish passport (presumably because you now finally realise that the 90/180 rule will be strictly enforced for UK nationals) then you had second thoughts about said Irish passport, went off the idea of moving to Spain and decided to become a lorry driver in the UK. Wow.

I wonder if Brexit supporters are finally waking up to the ugly reality of being third country nationals and realising it's cold out there.

​​​​
Pretty sure most Brexit supporters are not arsed about freedom of movement. Otherwise they wouldn’t of voted for it.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure most Brexit supporters are not arsed about freedom of movement. Otherwise they wouldn’t of voted for it.
I think you are correct re Brexit voters not so sure about those that were not able to obtain Spanish residency before Brexit date especially those that were under the radar. I guess we will never know but odd that it seems quite a few such people seem to have gone back to UK
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Because a fair number of those living in EU countries weren't complying with the few free movement rules by registering in their host country. And they expected that they could continue living 'under the radar' and avoiding those rules post-Brexit.

Well, Brexit brought new rules. Those are not so easy to circumvent, and just wait til ETIAS gets added to the pot.

For those not arsed about free movement who were living in the UK, maybe their children and grandchildren would have been arsed, but that's been denied them now.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 22nd 2022 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of hard of thinking Brexit supporters who didn't understand how freedom of movement worked prior to the referendum. They are about to find out. The EU are strengthening their borders and third country nationals (including UK nationals of course) will find themselves subjected to EES and ETIAS very soon meaning there is no way around the loss of freedom of movement. Some were dumb enough to think that the UK could have a hard Brexit but would be treated more favourably than other third country nationals.

I think you will find that huge numbers of UK nationals are very arsed about having part of their citizenship ripped away from them against their will.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of hard of thinking Brexit supporters who didn't understand how freedom of movement worked prior to the referendum. They are about to find out. The EU are strengthening their borders and third country nationals (including UK nationals of course) will find themselves subjected to EES and ETIAS very soon meaning there is no way around the loss of freedom of movement. Some were dumb enough to think that the UK could have a hard Brexit but would be treated more favourably than other third country nationals.

I think you will find that huge numbers of UK nationals are very arsed about having part of their citizenship ripped away from them against their will.
I’d say most Brexit voters live in the UK. 90 days at a time is more than enough for the vast majority of them. It’s better for them if British nationals have to stay in the uk and invest in the British economy instead of another Country. Do I think Brexit is the end of illegal immigration into in Spain. No. If they never listened in the first place why would they listen now. You can’t stop illegal immigration. Only have to look at the news about the channel crossings to see that. Spain has always been a place for me me where third nationals have set up and made it their home.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I’d say most Brexit voters live in the UK. 90 days at a time is more than enough for the vast majority of them.
Unfortunately, they're not the ones affected by the loss of the right to live and work in the EU unless they're already there. Should I organise a referendum and campaign to take away your right to do something just because I don't do it?

It’s better for them if British nationals have to stay in the uk and invest in the British economy instead of another Country.
Who says so?

Do I think Brexit is the end of illegal immigration into in Spain. No. If they never listened in the first place why would they listen now..
Because it's a lot harder to do so now we're no longer an EU member.

You can’t stop illegal immigration. Only have to look at the news about the channel crossings to see that.
Define illegal migration? You can seek asylum or refuge in pretty much any country in the world if you can get there, or they have somewhere outside their border where such applications can be made. The UK will only accept asylum applications on UK land, so those seeking asylum have to cross the English Channel somehow, or land in the UK by other means. That's not illegal, neither is the asylum seekers leaving France to reach the UK.

Spain has always been a place for me me where third nationals have set up and made it their home.
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

The only regret we have is that we cannot stay in our holiday home for 180 days but, to be legal, have to split it into chunks of 90 days. Living in Spain under the radar is only open to those that can drive across borders. Plenty of people who live in Holland, Germany, etc with accommodation addresses in their country who live full time in Spain.
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Undocumented people don’t care what politics are in place. Do you think all the illegal Albanians in the uk or Vietnamese care about visas. You can’t stop anyone from going anywhere if they really want to go.
Originally Posted by NataHH
Plenty of people who live in Holland, Germany, etc with accommodation addresses in their country who live full time in Spain.
I am just curious whether there is evidence for this or is it supposition? I mean how can you tell, from looking at an Albanian or a Vientnamese in the UK or a German or Nederlandser in Spain, what papers they have or don't have and what their status is?
Actually I do think an illegal immigrant cares very much about visas or the lack thereof because it potentially gives them so many problems. I can't imagine that anyone would choose to live outside society iwith no rights and no security, being ripped off and looking over their shoulder all the time, if they could find a way to be there legally and have proper rights.
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 4:47 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of people who live in Holland, Germany, etc with accommodation addresses in their country who live full time in Spain.
Quite, do you have anything to support this theory of yours.

I know one girl who application for residency was rejected and she was given 15 days to leave Spain.

She chose not to leave Spain. She now works for cash in hand and lives in constant fear of being stopped by the police. It could be a routine check the police are carrying out and they simply ask her for her ID. She would be detained on the spot and put on a plane back to her country of origin.

She avoids busy areas which attract police on patrol. Not much of a life.
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

The only regret we have is that we cannot stay in our holiday home for 180 days but, to be legal, have to split it into chunks of 90 days. Living in Spain under the radar is only open to those that can drive across borders. Plenty of people who live in Holland, Germany, etc with accommodation addresses in their country who live full time in Spain.
You know it's fairly easy for an EU national and their family members to register in their host country, yes?

Why would they need to do as you suggest is happening?
Old Jan 23rd 2022, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Freedom of movement trumps everything and I too know EU nationals who travel freely to Spain and Portugal and they don't count how many days they are here but equally the authorities don't come rapping on their doors insisting they register after 90 days. We all know that it's a grey area and the supposed 90 day limit is neither adhered to or enforced for EU nationals unless they intend to permanently relocate to another EU state. My British neighbours spent six continuous months in Spain for years without registering but obviously they can't do that now. Basically, EU nationals come and go as they chose but UK nationals can no longer do this and will be subjected to even stricter controls soon via EES and ETIAS.

Nata, have you written to the EU for advice on your particular situation? As an EU national, you can write to the Commission for clarification on this stating your personal circumstances. I'm an EU national and I found the service very helpful.

Basically, if your (British) partner travels with you, they will have their passport stamped on entering Schengen but they can stay within the zone for 183 days unhindered. You would need to show proof of a durable partnership but write to them and get it straight from the horse's mouth, don't take my word for it.

So let's all stop pretending that the 90/180 day ruling is business as usual and that nothing has changed for the British post Brexit because it has. Why do you think so many British holiday home owners have suddenly started whinging about only being about to stay in EU states for 90 days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.