Reload this Page >

British TV in Marbella

British TV in Marbella

Old Aug 15th 2016, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

kezt81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British TV in Marbella

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so forgive me if this is a silly or obvious question...

I'm in the process of buying a property in the Marbella area and would like some advice on getting Wi-Fi and British TV.

My questions are:

1. Will a British TV work in Spain (assuming I need some kind of Sky-type box to get the channels, and of course an adaptor for the plug).

2. Is there such thing as Freeview in Spain?

3. Can anyone recommend a supplier in the Marbella area to help me get connected to Wi-Fi and to get British TV?

Thanks in advance :-)
Old Aug 15th 2016, 3:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV in Marbella

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 15th 2016, 3:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it should work OK. There are various set top boxes that will get UK channels.

There is a Spanish equivalent of Freeview (TDT) using an external antenna, but you will only get the Spanish channels - lots of them.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezt81
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so forgive me if this is a silly or obvious question...

I'm in the process of buying a property in the Marbella area and would like some advice on getting Wi-Fi and British TV.

My questions are:

1. Will a British TV work in Spain (assuming I need some kind of Sky-type box to get the channels, and of course an adaptor for the plug).

2. Is there such thing as Freeview in Spain?

3. Can anyone recommend a supplier in the Marbella area to help me get connected to Wi-Fi and to get British TV?

Thanks in advance :-)

Unless you go down the 4G route then firstly you will need to get connected to a broadband service. The simplest, although perhaps not the cheapest, is to get an ADSL landline from Movistar installed. Once you have that you can get all the basic UK TV stations over the internet just using a simple device e.g. a laptop. Then you can start expanding according to your requirements for HD, Sky etc. etc. You can even connect via a router to give you WiFi in the house for your other devices.
BTW: assume that your UK telly is a digital one?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 9:09 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, it should work OK. There are various set top boxes that will get UK channels.

There is a Spanish equivalent of Freeview (TDT) using an external antenna, but you will only get the Spanish channels - lots of them.
But with the option to change from the dubbed spanish to original english on many uk and usa imports...

Down in that area direct from satellite signals from the broadcasters , especially for BBC and ITV are hard without a very very large dish.

There are other options... like hacking into another satellite system for some BBC itv channels... or the internet route...with "iptv" - which you have two or three options really - pay or not to pay.

pay requries a dedicated IPTV set top box, like a mag box,. these are designed for pay iptv servers. and generally offer better quality and reliability than the free options.

not to pay iptv are based on kodi or other android app - like mobdro or filmon. they usually rely on free streams from the internet, and so can get overloaded at peak times. picture quality can vary a lot...saw some atrocious mobdro stuff this weekend during the footie!

or a "now TV box" with a UK VPN service to make it look like you are in th eUK (and from 1st sept probably a uk tv licence number), and access your uk tv channels via that box...

"so you gets what you pays" , as they say..
Old Aug 16th 2016, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

You mention filmon, which I used to receive on my windows 10 laptop more or less perfectly. Now it frequently gets out of sync so I have discovered that it is better on the tablet via android app which works perfectly and virtually no adverts!

Anybody else suffering with filmon via windows? and yes I have high speed (30MB) ADSL with Movistar fibre optic.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
You mention filmon, which I used to receive on my windows 10 laptop more or less perfectly. Now it frequently gets out of sync so I have discovered that it is better on the tablet via android app which works perfectly and virtually no adverts!

Anybody else suffering with filmon via windows? and yes I have high speed (30MB) ADSL with Movistar fibre optic.
You could try Camposat - it's based on Filmon but has a more user friendly front end (IMHO) and may not be so busy.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, never heard of it - will give it a try.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Surely everyone is going high speed fibre optic now so worth checking if you are moving into a community which has got it installed or you can call one of the several installers - Olive Net, Avatel/Wikiker . Once in you can use a iptv box and see just everything. See previous comments from "The Guy" - just as long as you have got reasonable download speed a no subscription iptv box is more than adequate