kindle advice

Old Jul 28th 2016, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice
Default kindle advice

I´m planning on buying a new kindle but I´m not sure which is best for our usually sunny condtions here in Spain; the anti-glare one or the paperwhite.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future
Default Re: kindle advice

I had a Kindle Touch and upgraded last year to a Kindle Voyage which I am very happy with. The Voyage, with automatic variable light, enables me to read without a direct reading light when my OH is watching the TV (usually things like Heartbeat for the umpteenth time around). It is also good in our garden. Only disappointing thing about it is that it says it has a battery life of around 2 months but I only found out later that they calculate this as reading for around half an hour a day - who does that! Depending on what is happening I can read for around 12 hours a day so battery needs recharging after around 2 or 3 days. On the whole though I am very pleased with it as where I live there are very few places I can buy an actual book in English.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Can I digress slightly - please? I purchased a NOOK last October, it took Barnes and Noble 2 months to register it. I then bought books quite happily until B&N decided to sell their operations to Sainsbury. Once Sainsbury found out that I was not in the UK they refused to a) sell me any books, and b) refused to transfer my NOOK library. So, if I purchase a Kindle will Amazon UK still let me buy books even tho' I have a Spanish ISP address? Thank you.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
Can I digress slightly - please? I purchased a NOOK last October, it took Barnes and Noble 2 months to register it. I then bought books quite happily until B&N decided to sell their operations to Sainsbury. Once Sainsbury found out that I was not in the UK they refused to a) sell me any books, and b) refused to transfer my NOOK library. So, if I purchase a Kindle will Amazon UK still let me buy books even tho' I have a Spanish ISP address? Thank you.
I have a Kindle, bought from and registered it with my Amazon UK account and happily buy books on a regular basis with no problems at all. The only account address that I have with them is in Spain.

Rosemary
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Lojahome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dairymaid
I´m planning on buying a new kindle but I´m not sure which is best for our usually sunny condtions here in Spain; the anti-glare one or the paperwhite.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you
We have a classic Kindle and Paperwhite, and find they are both readable in bright sun although the Paperwhite is slightly better.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Thank you Rosemary BUT this is the reply I have from Amazon with regard to purchasing Kindle e-books.

You won't be able to buy and download ebooks from the UK site. We only have ebooks for purchase by people living in the UK etc.

Back to square one, ie buying cheap, used paperbacks. Sigh!
Old Jul 28th 2016, 12:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rosemary BUT this is the reply I have from Amazon with regard to purchasing Kindle e-books.

You won't be able to buy and download ebooks from the UK site. We only have ebooks for purchase by people living in the UK etc.

That is strange because if someone buys a Kindle and then moves around Europe (for example) they can still buy their e-books wherever they are.

When I had a silly little problem with my Kindle screen I even talked on the phone with one of their advisors who rang me in Spain.

Many years ago I think this was discussed and I believe that people were ordering their Kindles form the USA, registering it with them and then changing the registration to the UK.

Do you have an account with Amazon UK?

Rosemary
Old Jul 28th 2016, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I do have an account with Amazon UK for the purchase of everything, except books, because as of now I do not own a Kindle. I m reluctant to buy a Kindle at the moment because of their response, I've already spent enough money on the bl**dy NOOK, to no avail. I know that the UK is exiting the EU, but prior to that what happened to the one-market, big happy family?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:08 pm

Yes, I do have an account with Amazon UK for the purchase of everything, except books, because as of now I do not own a Kindle. I m reluctant to buy a Kindle at the moment because of their response, I've already spent enough money on the bl**dy NOOK, to no avail. I know that the UK is exiting the EU, but prior to that what happened to the one-market, big happy family?
I have sent you a PM with info from my friend that may help you.

Rosemary
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have sent you a PM with info from my friend that may help you.

Rosemary
I have received your PM's but I am not sure if you have received my replies! This site is so difficult as I receive no confirmation that my replies to PM's have been sent/received. Why can't we go back to postcards? (showing my age I know).
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:11 pm

I have received your PM's but I am not sure if you have received my replies! This site is so difficult as I receive no confirmation that my replies to PM's have been sent/received. Why can't we go back to postcards? (showing my age I know).
I received them.

If you want to double check whether your reply has gone successfully all you have to do is look in sent messages which is in the drop down in Folder control just above your list of messages.

Rosemary
Old Jul 28th 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Go into your account, and choose Manage content and devices (or something)

In there you can change your kindle registration to the UK Mine's in spanish so I don't know exactly what it says in english but there are three tabs across the page, something like Content, Devices and Settings. Go into the third one and you will see an option to change country.

Your kindle doesn't have to be registered to the same country as your postal address - I know this because I've moved a few times but kept my kindle registered to spain.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 8:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's correct. I have a Spanish address, but I have changed my Kindle country to the UK and can download Kindle books with no problem.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all very much. Give me something to do on Sunday. First of all I have to get on to Amazon and buy a Kindle.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Download the Kindle app to your PC (its free) and try it out

I bought the Kindle with Whispernet and it allows me to download wherever I am - (so far Europe, Asia and Caribbean)

Last edited by MikeJ; Jul 29th 2016 at 6:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.