Reload this Page >

"British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

"British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

Old May 17th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

macgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Nobody should get wound up by someone (the OP) quoting drivel from a presentation at a Housing and Cohesion Conference 3 years ago by someone called Anya Ahmed.

Why not mention the next presentation entitled Can Mixed Neighbourhoods Be Cohesive?

The whole thing smacks of flaming.
¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿?????????
Read The Guardian article instead. It's signed by a british journalist, not "someone called Ahmed", as you say. Yucks.
Wound? Who is wounding here?
Maybe I didn't choose a reference publication in the first place.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HBG
I know what you mean, I live in the Alicante area too. And thanks for that Youtube link, hilarious.

There was a cashier working in the local Mercadona, English born but who came to Spain at the age of 12 with her parents. She looked English but refused to acknowledge that she spoke English when customers asked her something in her native language.

That's integration gone wrong, and I've seen it more than once. The balance can be difficult to achieve. My wife is an interpreter, London born but has lived most of her life in Spain, and with Spanish people, before we met.

Spanish people accept her as Spanish and so do the Brits. Sometimes she gets confused and swears at me in Spanish, and when she has nightmares, it's in Spanish.

I only start to worry when she calls me Joan, albeit in Catalan.
haha That's good!
Yes, it is very difficult. We are doing something wrong.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:20 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yup - here we have a couple - she's English and he's Spanish and they have three young daughters. She refuses to teach them any English. That's just wrong.
She is just being an as-shole, as it is normal to pass "talents" on to your children, wether it is playing and instrument or love of nature or whatever.

People like that are not "intergrated" they are uncomfortable in their own skin.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macgirl
¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿?????????
Read The Guardian article instead. It's signed by a british journalist, not "someone called Ahmed", as you say. Yucks.
-

Don't worry - there is an expression "to wind up" - a bit similar to the verb provocar. The past tense is "wound", but it's not the verb to wound. Also, I don't think you were winding anyone up - it's been a very interesting thread on the whole.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JLFS
The post you are referring to was tongue in cheek.

It was saying, that the husband and wife did lots of weird things, but the worst one was eating paella at a late hour, and not to mention it to the neighbours.

The British sense of humour is very sharp and a lot is based on irony, stick around and you will get used to it.
Ok, Ok, thanks for explaining!
Old May 17th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
-

Don't worry - there is an expression "to wind up" - a bit similar to the verb provocar. The past tense is "wound", but it's not the verb to wound. Also, I don't think you were winding anyone up - it's been a very interesting thread on the whole.
Thanks again! (I seem British with so many thanks! haha)
Old May 17th 2011, 9:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

de nada...
Old May 17th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear, erasing the link to the Ahmed paper at midnight tonight from your first post and then expecting contributors to read an article in the Guardian, a paper reviled by most clear thinking people.

You are having a laugh arent you?
Old May 17th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I`m also interested to know what nationality we all think do integrate better than the British?

None come to mind
Old May 17th 2011, 9:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`m also interested to know what nationality we all think do integrate better than the British?

None come to mind

The Belgians! I worked with one for nearly 2 years before I found out she was Belgian!
Old May 17th 2011, 9:45 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The Belgians! I worked with one for nearly 2 years before I found out she was Belgian!
Well, Jean Claude Van Damm does not look like and ingergrater to me, he is too busy punching peoples lights out.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

So integration means hiding you are not british? haha
Old May 17th 2011, 9:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rotor

None come to mind
I think it could be the Chinese, they say one in 5 (could be wrong) of the worlds population are chinese, well we are both from very large families, over a hundred all told, so about 20 of them will be Chinese, and I can honestly say that I cant tell which ones are and which ones are not.

Old May 17th 2011, 9:50 pm
Banned

So integration means hiding you are not british? haha
No, intergration means not telling anyone that you are Belgian.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Oh dear, erasing the link to the Ahmed paper at midnight tonight from your first post and then expecting contributors to read an article in the Guardian, a paper reviled by most clear thinking people.

You are having a laugh arent you?
Are you OK?
I didn't erase anything (just a silly question "What do you think?" or something like that, in my first post). The link is still there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.