Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British children the worst nationality at integrating into Spanish schools

British children the worst nationality at integrating into Spanish schools

Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British children the worst nationality at integrating into Spanish schools

Originally Posted by bil
Anyone care to bet on how many of those parents are the type who bitch about immigrants coming to the UK and never learning the language?

Bet they do and to gerneralise most live west of Malaga
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British children the worst nationality at integrating into Spanish schools

Originally Posted by HBG
I only have some knowledge of the Spanish education system in Valencia and Andalucia, but to suggest that one in three Spanish children go on to university is ludicrous.

It's equally ludicrous to suggest that Romanian, Ecuadorian or Moroccan immigrants outnumber the British expats in Spain.

Since 1997, in the UK, the quantity of people obtaining degrees has increased tenfold, and the quality has decreased accordingly. In some establishments, like the 'university' of East London, it's impossible not to get a degree, the only entry qualification is the ability to write your name in English, or Urdu.

Employers have begun to realise what has happened and a degree is now a hindrance in finding employment.
So all the official stats are wrong and you are correct?

Have a look at the previous link that shows the % of kids going to uni in Spain, it is 1 in 3 like you said. There was an article in EL Pais recently too, dig that out if you like

In reference to the foreigners, look at the article here if you like. Oficially there are way more Romanians, Ecuadorians and Morrocans than British, and given that you need to be registered resident to send your kids to school, there is no reason to doubt that this will also be the case in the schools:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_23783.shtml
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:13 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's equally ludicrous to suggest that Romanian, Ecuadorian or Moroccan immigrants outnumber the British expats in Spain.
Not so sure about that if we are looking at official numbers

The top ten by nationalities, with the change over last year is as follows:
1. Rumania 829,715 +30,823
2. Morocco 746,760 +28,705
3. Ecuador 395,069 -26,357
4. United Kingdom 387,226 +11,523
5. Colombia 289,296 -7,378
6. Bolivia 210,624 -20,079
7. Germany 195,579 +4,577
8. Italy 183,999 +8,683
9. Bulgaria 169,195 +4,478
10. China 156,607 +9,128

Read more: http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...#ixzz0z7VouDky
It may seem otherwise as there are a lot of Rumanians and Moroccans in the big cities, and very few Brits there; plus a lot of the British expats are often only temporary and haven't registered.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Ducky1372 will become famous soon enoughDucky1372 will become famous soon enough

Hi Im new to this site, I thought this article was really interesting.

It never ceases to amaze me that you could move to a country and not integrate. I have always thought that when you move to another country its because you like that countrys way of life, you like the people, their culture etc etc. I am looking to move to Spain in the next year or so and am having Spanish lessons now - I use some of the Spanish basic words at home with my 2 year old so it will not be completely alien to her when we go.

There seems to be a lot of lazy expats out there that just want the sun and sangria and every thing from home - if that is the case then really you should have stayed at home and just come for holidays, by not integrating I think it is very disrespectful to the people of the country you have moved to and damn right rude! The same goes for people that come to the UK to live without any attempt to learn the language or integrate.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ducky1372

It never ceases to amaze me that you could move to a country and not integrate. I have always thought that when you move to another country its because you like that countrys way of life, you like the people, their culture etc etc. I am looking to move to Spain in the next year or so and am having Spanish lessons now - I use some of the Spanish basic words at home with my 2 year old so it will not be completely alien to her when we go.

There seems to be a lot of lazy expats out there that just want the sun and sangria and every thing from home - if that is the case then really you should have stayed at home and just come for holidays, by not integrating I think it is very disrespectful to the people of the country you have moved to and damn right rude! The same goes for people that come to the UK to live without any attempt to learn the language or integrate.

Around 95% fit this bill The retired are the worst even thogh they have loads of free time.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:15 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Me, I feel sorry for them, because they miss out on so much.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Me, I feel sorry for them, because they miss out on so much.
I dont feel sorry for lazy people , many dont realise there`s so much more to Spain than sunshine and a cheaper cost of living , it`s embarassing to be british sometimes when you are with expats who have lived here years and cant even order a meal without making a confusing mess of it.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I dont feel sorry for lazy people , many dont realise there`s so much more to Spain than sunshine and a cheaper cost of living , it`s embarassing to be british sometimes when you are with expats who have lived here years and cant even order a meal without making a confusing mess of it.
Sad but true and would any other nationality walk into a bar in Britain and order two small beers in their own language and EXPECT to be not only understood but served? Happened in one of the bars in our village a couple of days back. We cringed & ducked behind the laptop!
In that I suspect the kids would be more obviously attempting to integrate (or at least communicate). They wouldn't go to a kiosk & expect to be served sweets if they asked in English. I hope.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 12:11 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

karma given
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You may change your views when you live here.
Where I live it is possible (if you wanted to) not to learn the language, some people I have met that have been here ten years still only know the basics.
There are lots of Dutch, Germans etc that all speak English, Lots of Spanish that as soon as they know you are English speak back to you in English trying to extend their grip of the language.
The only way to learn Spanish is to mix with the Spanish, but if you meet ones that want to learn English then it takes much longer, is it damn right rude of them to reply to you in English ?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Admirable sentiments, and I hope you go for it, but I have read similar so many times, people that don't want to live amongst Brits, want to live the "Spanish" lifestyle, integrate fully, master the lingo etc, but I don't think it turns out that way too often. Far too often people give up on the language when they find it isn't as easy to learn as people would have you believe. Quite a few on this forum speak the lingo, but I bet there are a lot that don't, or are a very long way from having a decent level of Spanish.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Agree I have met very few British in andalucia that have a decent level of spanish and that is in 20 years. The ones who have fully integrated and speak the lingo all seem to be on this forum
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Agree I have met very few British in andalucia that have a decent level of spanish and that is in 20 years. The ones who have fully integrated and speak the lingo all seem to be on this forum
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

If I had a euro (OK, well several euros) for every Brit who, before moving here, has enthused about learning to speak Spanish "properly" and "wanting to join in", I would be soooooooo rich! Many seem to have a few lessons before arriving (which of course are "fun") and then when they get here make no effort to learn any more, either through lessons or through studying or even better through talking/listening! And then after 10 years here they moan about how difficult Spanish is and how "lucky" some people are because they can speak it. Yes, "luck" does come into it - it's lucky if you find languages easier than some other people do, it's lucky if you make Spanish friends who help you patiently - but surely it also needs some dedication and application and positive attitude on behalf of the immigrant?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, lucky.

I find the more I work at languages, the luckier I am like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.