Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British builder in Spain

British builder in Spain

Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

tel3563 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British builder in Spain

Hi all, me and the mrs have been thinking for quite a while about moving to Spain, mainly due to the usual, weather, rat race etc
Just wanted to test you ex pats that have been there for a while on my ideas, I'm wanting to carry on with building, I've been in building for 30years and would like to carry on in Spain, I've been learning Spanish for the last year and seen as we aren't thinking of doing this for another year at least am pretty sure i'll be able to communicate with builders merchants etc, what I'm wondering is if the business will be enough to survive on, I'm a very competent builder and was hoping that all the expats in the Malaga area would appreciate dealing with an English builder, not wanting to make a fortune, just enough to live in reasonable comfort. Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:26 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British builder in Spain

Build up a good list of terms, and then prepare to have to change half of them as the locals call a spade something else entirely.

If you want a list of building terms and tools, pm me your email, and I'll send you mine.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:18 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning to go self employed you have your 250 euros a month (or thereabouts) to pay into the system whether you work or not and also need to know all about the various building licences and have the ability to deal with Spanish authorities.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 6:48 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I know hundreds of British builders, and lots of Spanish ones and most are struggling, at the moment there is a housing crisis in Spain. Mainly due to the over inflated prices of the housing market. Another thing to remember is that if you make a mistake in your work,and someone gets killed or injured, you could be up for a manslaughter charge. It happened with a reletive of mine, he worked for a building firm without a contract and did a botch job. A teenage girl was electrocuted and he was charged. His parents sold all their land to pay the compo to the girls family. Beware. Anyway all the best in your move.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:26 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

The problem you'll have being a genuine British builder is establishing your credibility.
Because about 500,000+ guys before you have come here claiming the same thing. Though I have it on good authority at least 20 of them were the genuine article!
The other 500,000 that have entered Spain were former SAS personnel of course.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
The problem you'll have being a genuine British builder is establishing your credibility.
Because about 500,000+ guys before you have come here claiming the same thing. Though I have it on good authority at least 20 of them were the genuine article!
The other 500,000 that have entered Spain were former SAS personnel of course.
or they were personally involved with the Crays................and know them well, so don't mess with them.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
or they were personally involved with the Crays................and know them well, so don't mess with them.
P**s taker
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:25 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebsyW
P**s taker
Have you only just realised that?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Have you only just realised that?
Oh no. I`ve known for weeks. This thread is not in Siesta time ... but Mitzys away and JDR is on his own...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:31 pm
Straw Man.

Oh no. I`ve known for weeks. This thread is not in Siesta time ... but Mitzys away and JDR is on his own...
if jdr is online he can more than cope...........................if he isnt then we can have some fun!!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

if jdr is online he can more than cope...........................if he isnt then we can have some fun!!!
Yes, but can you be trusted amongst us peasants... or are you an invisible second in command?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:35 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Weren't the Crays a type of computer?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but can you be trusted amongst us peasants... or are you an invisible second in command?
Are you trying to boost his ego, just a little?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:36 pm
Straw Man.

Leaving me in command is like leaving the lunatics in charge of the asylum!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Leaving me in command is like leaving the lunatics in charge of the asylum!
Yes, I know that too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.