Reload this Page >

BRINGING A DOG BACK TO THE UK

BRINGING A DOG BACK TO THE UK

Old Aug 26th 2015, 10:27 am
Just Joined

lizziloo1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BRINGING A DOG BACK TO THE UK

Hi all,
So I have been given the opportunity to go and work in spain for roughly 6 months.
I have a small dog which I refuses to leave behind in england, I can get her to spain fine, by flying with iberia and she weighs under 4kg. But for some reason I cannot fly back into the uk with her. (if anyone knows why I'd love to know)
I will not have a car so can only go on a ferry as a foot passenger, I live in the south of england currently so am hoping there is a ferry company from portsmouth that would allow me to do this?
Any help would be much appreciated as this will make the decision whether I go or not. Also if anyone know a rough cost of travelling this way in june time.

thanks
Old Aug 26th 2015, 10:48 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRINGING A DOG BACK TO THE UK

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

You can fly back in to the UK with her. While its easy to take a dog from UK to Spain, going the other way is a lot more difficult. Before you leave the UK go see your vet and arrange to have a pet passport with if they have been done, all its innoculations added to it.

Once in Spain, you will need to visit a vets with your passport and have it innoculated against rabies, this will then be recorded in the passport with the type of drug and a barcode sticker over which the vet will sign and stamp the name of the vetinary practice.

Then 24/48 hours before returning to the UK the dog will have to have a worming treatment, again signed/stamped by the vet in the passport. This is all to satisfy Her Majesty's Government and nothing to do with Spain (they couldn't care less)

All you need to do is find a carrier to transport the pet. The airline you are flying out with should do a return journey as well. Monarch airlines fly pets, from Manchester/Alicante and Gatwick (Ithink) to Alicante and vice versa. Other carriers also.

Further information on pets entering leaving the UK can be found on the .GOV website, there is a section about it. This link may also help as well....

Returning To The UK - Jets4Pets
Old Aug 26th 2015, 1:27 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

You could ask a carrier to bring the dog back for you. Our three dogs were carried by Union Jack who are very reliable and personal friends of ours so I can assure you that your dog would be well looked after. The only downside is that companies like this might not be travelling exactly when you want them to. And cost of course.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Brittany Ferries do not take foot passengers, bicycles or motorbikes with animals nor do they take unaccompanied animals.

I have read way too many bad reports about road transport to considered sending my girl that way. No doubt there are some that are good, be sure you use a registered/licenced/insured company. I think there is one company at lest that takes owner and pet, no idea of cost. The prices will be worked out individually I guess.

Flying your pet, Monarch as mentioned do from Manchester and Gatwick, not at weekends. You have to ring them for all the requirements and arrangements. I think they all travel in the hold.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

ponydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: BRINGING A DOG BACK TO THE UK

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Brittany Ferries do not take foot passengers, bicycles or motorbikes with animals nor do they take unaccompanied animals.

I have read way too many bad reports about road transport to considered sending my girl that way. No doubt there are some that are good, be sure you use a registered/licenced/insured company. I think there is one company at lest that takes owner and pet, no idea of cost. The prices will be worked out individually I guess.

Flying your pet, Monarch as mentioned do from Manchester and Gatwick, not at weekends. You have to ring them for all the requirements and arrangements. I think they all travel in the hold.
Hiya,I have found this problem,you cannot travel as a foot passenger with your dog on any of the ferries or the eurostar,barmy if you ask me anywayI think there is a cab firm that with take you and your pet through the tunnel and take you to the station on the other side.I am trying to get my little dog across without taking a vehicle so I am trying all the local removal firms that go to spain.Havent had any luck yet.Good Luck.Have you tried Bla Bla Car?