Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cadiz, Chiclana area

Cadiz, Chiclana area

Old Aug 26th 2015, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Cadiz, Chiclana area

Hi there, new member about to take the jump in to buying a property in the Chiclana area with a view to moving permanently over the next two years. We are in the process of doing this having visited several times and seen the housing situation. Anyone already there or who have some experiences ( we have looked at the illegal housing issue in depth) would be most welcome.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 10:47 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cadiz, Chiclana area

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 26th 2015, 10:58 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Hi there was a recent thread about Chiclana with some info you might find useful.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...lidado-863506/

Yvonne
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith1963
Hi there, new member about to take the jump in to buying a property in the Chiclana area with a view to moving permanently over the next two years. We are in the process of doing this having visited several times and seen the housing situation. Anyone already there or who have some experiences ( we have looked at the illegal housing issue in depth) would be most welcome.
Depending on area I have heard that there were some flooding issues in recent years. Our place is 1200 km away from that area, so its' just information I've heard from others.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Keith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond reputeKeith1963 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the recent replies, the illegal housing and flooding seems to be the main issue, I have got a very good contact over there who works in estate agency and he seems to be on top of his game. I was surprised though that some folk have described Chiclana as a dump, having visited the area and Cadiz, a beautiful city I am somewhat perplexed. However as has already been stated, one mans meat etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome ;-)
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the recent replies, the illegal housing and flooding seems to be the main issue, I have got a very good contact over there who works in estate agency and he seems to be on top of his game. I was surprised though that some folk have described Chiclana as a dump, having visited the area and Cadiz, a beautiful city I am somewhat perplexed. However as has already been stated, one mans meat etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome ;-)
Probably just depends what people think is beautiful On my first holidays I always fancied the South, but if you look closer and especially on a grey day, you see how ugly some parts are. A lot of Spanish I know would avoid the area from Cadiz across to Estepona. Is it cheap housing, or something else that attracts you to that specific area?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 12:33 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in Chiclana for 11 years and there is no way I would describe it as a ´dump´. When we first arrived it was a little parochial but it has changed considerably. We have one of the best beaches in Spain, at La Barossa, plenty of golf courses, restaurants and shops close by. Yes, there are problems with illegal housing and houses being built on the flood plane but I don´t think these problems are unique to Chiclana. Also, the area is still very Spanish. Before you buy you will need a good Solicitor. Juan Antonio from Temple Cambria, in Conil, has a fine reputation for being honest and open. Not something you always find.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

I appreciate that jjh, and understand that not everywhere is for everyone that's for sure. I know Glyn an estate agent who works from Conil who has been helpful, I used to work with his father. I am sure he will advise us on the illegal housing issue and floods, but I want to have some idea myself when I talk with him. If there are areas you are sure are pretty hassle free in Chiclana ( I won't hold you responsible ) I would be grateful of a nod in that direction. Things like suitable and quieter areas, areas with little crime or poor behaviour
( not something I have witnessed much in Spain by local people ) We are coming over in Oct and are hopeful we can at least see some suitable properties. We did some scouting last year so have a general idea. Looking for slightly out of town, villa, pool etc. I see there are many within our budget so we are hopeful it all clicks in to place. Thanks for your reply.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jjh
We have lived in Chiclana for 11 years and there is no way I would describe it as a ´dump´. When we first arrived it was a little parochial but it has changed considerably. We have one of the best beaches in Spain, at La Barossa, plenty of golf courses, restaurants and shops close by. Yes, there are problems with illegal housing and houses being built on the flood plane but I don´t think these problems are unique to Chiclana. Also, the area is still very Spanish. Before you buy you will need a good Solicitor. Juan Antonio from Temple Cambria, in Conil, has a fine reputation for being honest and open. Not something you always find.
The majority of Spain is Spanish and at the end of the day you can find good and bad across the country. La Barossa is certainly a nice beach and there are worse places to live. Most of the places are pretty similar anyway, because you have a promenade with cafes etc. a golf course and buildings along the coast. A Solicitor should be used in any part of Spain, but personally I would avoid buying a place on a complex where you have additional fees.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:18 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola y bienvenido

I also live in Chiclana and if you have the capacity then download the PROVISIONAL town plan which identifies the "new" flood plains.
https://www.chiclana.es/pgou1214/02_...N_COMPLETA.pdf

There are two very good websites:- www.chifra.org - Home & mycadiz.biz To join ChiFRA is free and there are some very good articles about living in Chiclana

Davexf
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Probably just depends what people think is beautiful On my first holidays I always fancied the South, but if you look closer and especially on a grey day, you see how ugly some parts are. A lot of Spanish I know would avoid the area from Cadiz across to Estepona. Is it cheap housing, or something else that attracts you to that specific area?
Hi Moses, lovely area, we have visited three times now, the city of Cadiz is lovely too. Chiclana I found trouble free to an extent, yes the housing is reasonable, and it has great connections to Seville and Jerez airport inc Malaga etc. Close to beaches, Weather is fine most of the year, we are aware of the colder climate at times, but overall that isn't going to cause too much hassle. The lack of ex pats is a big pull too. Many reasons to do it and not many not to.

What have the local Spanish said to you as reasons not to live in that area ?

Last edited by Keith1963; Aug 26th 2015 at 3:50 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Dave, that's a big but very helpful link, I appreciate it.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Moses, lovely area, we have visited three times now, the city of Cadiz is lovely too. Chiclana I found trouble free to an extent, yes the housing is reasonable, and it has great connections to Seville and Jerez airport inc Malaga etc. Close to beaches, Weather is fine most of the year, we are aware of the colder climate at times, but overall that isn't going to cause too much hassle. The lack of ex pats is a big pull too. Many reasons to do it and not many not to.

What have the local Spanish said to you as reasons not to live in that area ?
Being so close to Morocco is one issue, then include drug trafficking and the area has one of the highest jobless rates in Spain. Barbate is probably worse for drugs and while it is mainly hashish, it's still not looking good for the future. With that you have more break ins etc. Of course you can get that anywhere, but for such a small population it is alarming.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Moses, there are always factors to consider and your information really does match up with the research I have done. Crime will always be the main concern, and unemployment does drive people to crime, there are other factors to consider that reduce our willingness to invest, but they are marginal. We are visiting again in October and just hope the area will see some upturn in the coming months / few years.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Moses, there are always factors to consider and your information really does match up with the research I have done. Crime will always be the main concern, and unemployment does drive people to crime, there are other factors to consider that reduce our willingness to invest, but they are marginal. We are visiting again in October and just hope the area will see some upturn in the coming months / few years.
You're welcome and we all different opinions and views. I'm sure there are many happy people in that area and It's just the information I have. If you move over permanently, life can be completely different. It's just more noticeable in the smaller towns down south.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.