British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/brexit-event-alicante-908678/)

spainrico Feb 1st 2018 11:03 am

BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
This from recent press release from British Embassy Madrid -
'Town halls across the Alicante province will be hosting a series of events with British Consul Sarah-Jane Morris to talk about Brexit and how this affects British citizens living in Spain.

Mrs Morris will be visiting the towns in the Alicante province with the highest volume of British citizens on the Padron to talk to residents about any concerns they have around Brexit and to provide an update on the progress of Brexit negotiations and respond to any questions and concerns they may have.

Four events have been confirmed in Alicante south on 12th and 13th February in the following locations:

· ROJALES – 12th February at 12pm. Venue - Capitol Theatre, Calle A.Gonzalez Vergel, Rojales

· TORREVIEJA 12th February at 2pm. Venue - Ayuntamiento de Torrevieja, (3rd floor Salon de Plenos) Plaza de la Constitucion, 5, 03181 Torrevieja

· PILAR DE LA HORADADA 13th February at 10am. Venue - Casa de Cultura calle Carretillas 19, Pilar de la Horadada

· SAN FULGENCIO – 13th February at 1pm. Venue - Centro social, Calle Amstadam, Urbanizacion la Marina, San Fulgencio'

Events in the north of Alicante TBC later next week.

lurchio Feb 1st 2018 3:16 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
Any chance of a link to any minutes after the meeting, or even a report on what was discussed by anyone on here that attends?

newpower Feb 1st 2018 3:50 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12432306)
This from recent press release from British Embassy Madrid -
'Town halls across the Alicante province will be hosting a series of events with British Consul Sarah-Jane Morris to talk about Brexit and how this affects British citizens living in Spain.

Mrs Morris will be visiting the towns in the Alicante province with the highest volume of British citizens on the Padron to talk to residents about any concerns they have around Brexit and to provide an update on the progress of Brexit negotiations and respond to any questions and concerns they may have.

Four events have been confirmed in Alicante south on 12th and 13th February in the following locations:

· ROJALES – 12th February at 12pm. Venue - Capitol Theatre, Calle A.Gonzalez Vergel, Rojales

· TORREVIEJA 12th February at 2pm. Venue - Ayuntamiento de Torrevieja, (3rd floor Salon de Plenos) Plaza de la Constitucion, 5, 03181 Torrevieja

· PILAR DE LA HORADADA 13th February at 10am. Venue - Casa de Cultura calle Carretillas 19, Pilar de la Horadada

· SAN FULGENCIO – 13th February at 1pm. Venue - Centro social, Calle Amstadam, Urbanizacion la Marina, San Fulgencio'

Events in the north of Alicante TBC later next week.


So what will they know? The talks havent really started yet and no agreements have been made, and May is going to Balls it up anyway.

mikelincs Feb 1st 2018 3:52 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 

Originally Posted by newpower (Post 12432545)
So what will they know? The talks havent really started yet and no agreements have been made, and May is going to Balls it up anyway.

+1

davidinspain Feb 2nd 2018 1:44 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12432550)
+1

Yep thats about the strength of it.Just a guessing game.

dougal03 Feb 2nd 2018 2:08 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
It will only be the same details that we can get via an English newspaper or TV news, & that depends on how you interpret that version.Also our Government can do a u-turn a week later.It's not often I feel sorry for the British Consulate but I suppose they have to be seen to try to keep us "informed".Must be old age that makes me a cynic!

spainrico Feb 2nd 2018 2:12 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
Well, they are in a 'no win' situation.

But it is an opportunity for Expats to voice their concerns to ensure those in power understand the real issues.

mikelincs Feb 2nd 2018 3:13 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12433223)
Well, they are in a 'no win' situation.

But it is an opportunity for Expats to voice their concerns to ensure those in power understand the real issues.

But you really need to be stating the problems to the UK government rather than to someone who, most likely, will do sod all about the responses apart from spout platitudes.

spainrico Feb 2nd 2018 3:17 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
No, IMO this is a very cynical attitude. This IS our conduit to share our opinions etc and the Alicante consulate staff have taken past feedback on board and reported back to Madrid Embassy and on to London.

mikelincs Feb 2nd 2018 3:22 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12433271)
No, IMO this is a very cynical attitude. This IS our conduit to share our opinions etc and the Alicante consulate staff have taken past feedback on board and reported back to Madrid Embassy and on to London.

BUT nothing will happen, the current UK government is set on a specific path and will not be shaken from it, the only way for changes to occur is if there is a general election in the UK and there is a change in the party running the country.

dougal03 Feb 3rd 2018 1:09 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
I must agree with Mikelincs.When I was in business 2 Consuls were among my clients ,nice people,so when I had a query some years later,I thought that was a place to go to get a reasonable answer.Unfortunately it was my experience that I only got waffle,once I was ultimately told,I think because they didn't know the answer,"not to get into a situation that annoyed the Spanish".Will that excuse my cynical attitude?

Notdunroamin Feb 6th 2018 6:33 am

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
I take it that nobody has any confidence in the assurances given by the Spanish government then ?

Brexit: Expats given 'no disruption' pledge by Spanish government - BBC News

IanWorthington Feb 6th 2018 4:13 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
The purpose of a foreign mission is to represent the government, not support the local immigrants.

:(

spainrico Feb 6th 2018 4:25 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
The other dates:


· BENIDORM -20th February at 12pm. Venue: Centro Social La Torretta, Avenida Ciudad Real, 6, 03503, Rincon de Loix Benidorm

· JAVEA – 20th February at 4pm. Venue: Casa de Cultura de Javea, Plaça De Baix, Javea

· ALFAS DEL PI – 21st February at 12pm. Venue: Forum Mare Nostrum, Calle del Pintxo 2, 03580, l'Alf s del Pi.

· TEULADA-MORAIRA – 21st Feburary at 3pm. Venue: Edificio Espai La Senieta, Av. de Madrid, 15, 03725 Moraira (Teulada Moraira)

dougal03 Feb 9th 2018 3:10 pm

Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE
 
I am one who thinks the Spanish Govn.DOES want to keep the assurances given but they can't act on their own.Maybe I have a slanted view since I have lived & worked here even before Spain joined the EU.Today there are many thousands of British business owners enjoying a good lifestyle & prospering in this country.For them to stay suits both parties.Mrs.May has too often done a u-turn on promises.In fact,here's a thought.This week she has been celebrating the "votes for women campaign,yet when we leave the EU it will mean British nationals ,who have lived abroad for over 15years,will not even have a vote in local Spanish elections.So any female in that situation once again does not have the right to vote either in her home country or anywhere else.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:53 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.