boats in Spain

Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:21 am
Just Joined

paullap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default boats in Spain

Hi, I am thinking of buying a boat in the uk and shipping it out to Spain, They are so much cheaper, And possibly buying from the U.S. Does anyone know about import tax.Registration,ect, And moorings around the Javea area. Thanks Paul
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: boats in Spain

hi, depends on size you are after. Commercial moorings expensive so get a trailable one & use the free slips. Registration - stick to SSR reg & avoid any import duties. Just get an ICC cert & you are legal.

Cheers, if you want a small RIB I know of a good one for sale.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you are resident in Spain and the boat is over 7.5m and spends more than 6months in Spanish waters it has to be registered under a Spanish flag which is expensive and complicated.

You will also need Spanish competancy licences to use it if it is over 5m sail or 4m power. The UK ICC is not recognised under these circumstances.

The matriculation tax is similar to cars and is 12% of the value. Registration costs extra and it must conform to the Spanish regs regarding safety equipment, holding tanks etc..

Like cars, you can get away with it but eventually you may have it impounded and get a large fine etc. The Guardia are responsible for policing this and at the moment they are having a crack down on foreign boats in marinas.

If you buy it outside Spain and have it delivered to Spain you are much more likely to have a problem, especially if it comes from outside the EU (extra import tax etc).

If you buy in the UK and sail it down as a "tourist" you might get away with it but if you get caught it will be expensive and inconvenient. As a non resident you have a better chance but the boat must not stay in Spain for more than 6 months at a time.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:47 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you are resident in Spain and the boat is over 7.5m and spends more than 6months in Spanish waters it has to be registered under a Spanish flag which is expensive and complicated.

You will also need Spanish competancy licences to use it if it is over 5m sail or 4m power. The UK ICC is not recognised under these circumstances.

The matriculation tax is similar to cars and is 12% of the value. Registration costs extra and it must conform to the Spanish regs regarding safety equipment, holding tanks etc..

Like cars, you can get away with it but eventually you may have it impounded and get a large fine etc. The Guardia are responsible for policing this and at the moment they are having a crack down on foreign boats in marinas.

If you buy it outside Spain and have it delivered to Spain you are much more likely to have a problem, especially if it comes from outside the EU (extra import tax etc).

If you buy in the UK and sail it down as a "tourist" you might get away with it but if you get caught it will be expensive and inconvenient. As a non resident you have a better chance but the boat must not stay in Spain for more than 6 months at a time.

What he said.. (and they are clamping down) plus......
If you keep it in a marina you can have harbour taxes to pay, these vary from area to area, here we have the G5 or T5 depends which marina your in. Which is worked out on the size of the vessel.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:37 am
Just Joined

paullap is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Thanks for the info, Someone told me a boat under a certain size you dont need a licence. And are there many slipways available. We are in the Javea area. I would idealy like something around 18 foot., But I could probably not lauch that on my own, It may be too big to keep putting it in and out. What sort of costs are we talking about to moor it in the Javea area. I may also consider sharing a boat. Thanks Paul