Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bitten the bullet and making the move

Bitten the bullet and making the move

Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Bitten the bullet and making the move

I have bitten the bullet and I am making the move lock stock and barrel, well hopefully. Can anyone reccommend a company that will allow us to purchase a container have it delivered to our uk address so we can fill it and then pick it back up and transport it to where we are moving to.

The reason for the purchase is that we are going to have to store our belongings for a while as we get sorted out.

Have 5 weeks to do it. No stress then, lol.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bitten the bullet and making the move

Originally Posted by jay01
I have bitten the bullet and I am making the move lock stock and barrel, well hopefully. Can anyone reccommend a company that will allow us to purchase a container have it delivered to our uk address so we can fill it and then pick it back up and transport it to where we are moving to.

The reason for the purchase is that we are going to have to store our belongings for a while as we get sorted out.

Jay, there may be better ways to do this. There are a lot of storage companies here in Spain, even self storage.

If you take a container you will have to:

Pay for a container haulage company to collect from you, and demurrage whilst they wait for you to load it (3 hours normally allowed for a 20')

Pay the posrt container handling charges at this end
Pay the port handling charges at the other end

Pay he container delivery charges at the other end to a depot, and then pay again when you have it delivered to your new home. Then where are you going to put the container?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Just Google 'Shipping containers for sale' loads of companies come up.

Do not forget you will have to get it lifted off the trailer in Spain if you are using it for storage which will involve a crane
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Jay, there may be better ways to do this. There are a lot of storage companies here in Spain, even self storage.

If you take a container you will have to:

Pay for a container haulage company to collect from you, and demurrage whilst they wait for you to load it (3 hours normally allowed for a 20')

Pay the posrt container handling charges at this end
Pay the port handling charges at the other end

Pay he container delivery charges at the other end to a depot, and then pay again when you have it delivered to your new home. Then where are you going to put the container?

we are using a company called leatherbarrow britannia in bournemouth. We have got rid of a lot of our stuff inc furniture as its so expensive to ship across it would be cheaper to buy some stuff when we get there. oh and dont take your TV, it wont work............

we are paying a shae over 3 grand, but like i said, we have got rid of a lot of stuff, so much so we even appeared in a show on TV thats just finished called "Gutted", which literally gutted our house (a long story)
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
oh and dont take your TV, it wont work............
Erm, why not??? If it's less than probably 10 years old, it will work fine!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Erm, why not??? If it's less than probably 10 years old, it will work fine!
sorry, i was told they wouldnt work, maybe its just the older ones then?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
sorry, i was told they wouldnt work, maybe its just the older ones then?
No, they're fine even older ones - though sooner or later (probably sooner) you'll have to get digital adpators for your terrestrial TVs in Spain. I'd advise against trying to sell in the UK and expecting to buy again in Spain. My local freecycle is full of sofas, beds, other furniture that the owners can't even give away. Plus most things in Spain, white goods/electricals wise, are more expensive than in Britain, plus you'll be giving up the familiarity of things you know and love
Obviously, you'll have to change the plugs - don't go for "travel adaptors". I made thatr mistake and, basically, they are useless: intermittent contacts, extra width and kept falling out of the sockets.

Last edited by pete_l; Jun 28th 2009 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pete_l
No, they're fine even older ones - though sooner or later (probably sooner) you'll have to get digital adpators for your terrestrial TVs in Spain. I'd advise against trying to sell in the UK and expecting to buy again in Spain. My local freecycle is full of sofas, beds, other furniture that the owners can't even give away. Plus most things in Spain, white goods/electricals wise, are more expensive than in Britain, plus you'll be giving up the familiarity of things you know and love
Obviously, you'll have to change the plugs - don't go for "travel adaptors". I made thatr mistake and, basically, they are useless: intermittent contacts, extra width and kept falling out of the sockets.
well, to be honest the tv we have is up for "retirement" so we'll just get a new one in spain!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:21 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Any decent removal company will arrange collection, storage and delivery as and when you want in spain. We have used a few and recommend EuropeanRemovals.com, moveitRemovals.com and for those living north of Hadrians Wall, Grants of Buchie give exceptional service at a good price.

Remember to fully insure your goods in transit.

PS: I hope you enjoy your new life in Spain.

Last edited by missile; Jun 29th 2009 at 11:23 am.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

No, they're fine even older ones - though sooner or later (probably sooner) you'll have to get digital adpators for your terrestrial TVs in Spain.
I think the analogue switch off started this weekend in some places

You can check when it goes in your area by putting your postcode here
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

What's freecycle?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
What's freecycle?
http://www.freecycle.org/
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.kjmdover.co.uk , they can arrange container by sea and truck haulage at very competative rates, Ive used them numerous times over the years and never had a hitch.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks for the advice on containers, . Ours arrived this morning now it really is happening . Never realised how much Crap we hoard, lol. thanks again for your help.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

You will pay a lot more for a tv in Spain than in the UK. The same with furniture. We made the mistake of getting rid of loads. Much better to bring it if in good condition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.