Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

You usually get a reply within 24 hours but if it is a complicated enquiry it may take longer.

For the information of anyone who is interested this is a reply I received from the UK Land Registry in response to a question about receiving information in other languages.

Good afternoon

We only provide our services in English and Welsh, although you might like
to contact our international unit to see if they can help you further:

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/inter.../internat_who/

Regards

Jo Hamilton
Web Editor
Direct Dial: + 44 20 7166 4512
Fax: +44 20 7166 4516
Email: [email protected]
Land Registry Head Office, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PH
Web: www.landregistry.gov.uk
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
Thank you Mitzyboy for your post, despite reading many books and articles and talking to our agent, it is the first time I have seen such important information presented in such a clear and concise way.

We were about to go back to our agent to ask for more explanation about our properties legal status, with your info we can now ask far more pertinent questions. We think by Chiclana standards our property is almost legal, we have a legal electricity meter, but we still think there are some missing pieces of paper.

Thanks
Yvonne
A pleasure ... can't remember where I got it from now!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mitch,

Do you know the secrets of Google Translation? Just put the page you have received into the google translator and you will get the gist in English. I guess they have to stick to Spanish because if they make a slip in the translation there could be legal implications and costs for them.

How long after you posted your enquiry did it take for their Spanish response to arrive?

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by mitch mitchell
Well thanks Clary, for a bit of support! and Nige the whole point is; that on this supposed website that this Spaniard is looking at, if there is nothing in spanish the guy ain,t gonna lose his 10 euros because he will not understand to much. This site I am on about gives you all the spiel in english but, and it is a big but, it does not say, A. the info you get is only in spanish. B. it does or don,t offer a service that Clary describes. If you are looking to buy and we are told all the time, get the Nota Simple first to affirm ownership, this site would be good for the price, as it means at that very early stage you know wether to go further and involve the legals. Just be aware, it will be in spanish and the Postal address of the property you are looking at could be different to the number the property is registered as. In my case, the house is no. 26 but it seems it is only known at the land registry as 119. Thanks you guys for allowing me to have a good moan. Normally I am quite sane! I think!!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

Hi All,

Well I entered a search yesterday morning in accordance with the instructions of the man on the central enquiry number and the results were back early this morning (just less than 24hrs).

They are as much use as a chocolate teapot, see the attachment, I have translated the comment through google and tidied it up from Spanglish. I don't know if I have been charged for this or not!

I can fully understand the problem for the Registry since I suspect that Fadesa have not registered the sub-divide of my plot and therefor there will be no registry data available.

There is a charge against the property because Fadesa have offered to transfer the mortgage they hold but again I suspect this will be a bulk mortgage for all the plots on say R-6, I would just get my proportionate share of the whole.

My problem is, if the first time the plot is properly registered is when it is subdivided from the others when I complete the Escritura on the plot in October, how do I check if additional mortgages have been taken in the hours before completion!

Any suggestions?

Regards,

John.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Property Register Search 1.doc (20.0 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Aug 3rd 2006 at 7:27 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

This extract from your document says it all:

La entidad Fadesa Inmobilliaria S.A. tiene más de 1000 fincas a su nombre lo que hace imposible realizar una busqueda si no se aportan los datos registrales de ésta(TOMO LIBRO FOLIO Y NUMERO DE FINCA)

My apologies for quoting my own posts but this is what I said several posts ago.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
To be sure you get details of the correct property you need to at least give the finca registral and preferably the tomo and libro.
Originally Posted by Beachcomber
You will not be able to do a search with these details. As I said above you need the finca registral and preferably the libro and tomo. These details will be recorded in the escritura of the property you are purchasing of which you should be provided with a copy or, at least, the registration details.
If you don't have these details it is highly unlikely that you will get the result you are expecting.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Friends of ours have just suffered the most terrible experience, having just moved into their property down the coast, they have had no less than 5 different Debt collectors over the last 4 weeks knocking on their door to collect a total of Euros 150,000 which the previous owners (a couple in their 60s) had borrowed, from 5 different Banks Euros 30,000 each) just prior to handing the original paperwork for the house over.

Our friends went through notaries, solicitors etc.. had searches done, etc.. prior to completing the purchase, and no debts against the property had been found!! Someone didnt do their work properly, and at what cost!

Our friends are liable as the debts are against the property, as they are the new owners. Although they are trying to go legal on this, not too sure if they will succeed and if they wills till be accountable.

What a terrible way to start a new life!

So please, be careful out-there......
To the original poster .... I came accross this. I've never used it but I'm thinking that it might be a start to try and trace these thieves. I still think its more likely they used their own names (because they originally purchased the property) but maybe I'm being naive.

http://www.unlimited-backgroundcheck.com/
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:21 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Just been catching up on this thread and I'm horrified. The whole purpose of the forum is to help new people move safely to Spain but when you hear of people who have used lawyers and notaries and STILL got ripped off then you begin to wonder.

I think it just goes to show that it is so important to remember that you are buying in a foreign country and to use your caution and gut instincts and not risk everything chasing a dream while carried away.

Spain does have many more risks compared to England and getting money back and rectifying these situations are often seemingly impossible.

Mark
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

mitch mitchell is an unknown quantity at this point

A big apology to Beechcomber and Nige and anyone else who may have taken offence to my recent rant! The (customer service ) part of this site I have been moaning about have been in touch and have translated and have been very very, good. I cannot fault this back up service. I recommend anyone looking to buy a property to get a copy of the Nota Simple from this site before they make a move. But it is only a guide. Your lawyer will need to get another one and give you a good translation. You will at least know if the people selling are the owners.
Once again, sorry for my bull in a china shop words !
mitch mitchell