Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

Originally Posted by poollounger
But how would we know if they were their real names and not aliases?
Did anyone see the BBC news last night ? The item about the alleged corrupt cop involved in hampering the Stephen Lawrence investigation now running a bar on the CDS. The whole programme is on tonight.
Thats a point, but that would mean that they had managed to buy the property using those aliases which may have been more difficult.

The people we caught up with actually used their own names throughout the scam which I found particularly amusing, and helped us track them down.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Melosine is an unknown quantity at this point

Why haven't these people reported it to the media then everyone will be aware of the scam they pulled.

If I was in this situation after informing the police I would be straight round to a local press office. Might still be out of pocket but at least I would feel some satisfaction at naming and shaming them.

More folk who know the quicker they will be caught.

Once names and descriptions are mentioned in the news site moderators won't be concerned about possible libel.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:30 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melosine
Why haven't these people reported it to the media then everyone will be aware of the scam they pulled.

If I was in this situation after informing the police I would be straight round to a local press office. Might still be out of pocket but at least I would feel some satisfaction at naming and shaming them.

More folk who know the quicker they will be caught.

Once names and descriptions are mentioned in the news site moderators won't be concerned about possible libel.
Would the media be allowed to name them if no legal case is being brought against them?

For example, if I had a gripe with someone what is stopping me from going to the media and fabricating a story about them to embarrass them publically? I guess there must be some restrictions on what the press print in order to protect the innocent?????
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:15 pm
galli

Galli is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

Curious.....how did you find this lawyer ?? Was he recommended by an estate agent??? The problem often is that things are done so casually in Spain.. we paid our lawyer in cash on the day of signing, and he asked if we would like a receipt.. we did, so he just wrote one out on a blank piece of paper.
How did you lose the money?? Posting info helps others to ask questions and avoid the same pitfalls. I hope you get it back.
Hi,we went in with our hopes up and eyes half shut.
We found a site north of Seville that advertised inland property which as you probably know is, or seems to be reasonable.After seeing a house(rustic) with super views,we made an offer.A lawyer was recommended by the agent(I know) we left a holding deposit to take it off the market,no receipt!
After numerous asking, the lawyer says he will give us a receipt if we rip it up on completion as he likes to work Black and doesn't want to pay tax.then follows that statement with 'we must trust each other no?'
After lots of research in the area we discovered proposed building Work(power station).
On closer inspection, the house had serious defects,cracks all over and no Escritura.We were advised that it wouldn't be a problem;by now we were having serious doubts and pulled out.
Agent demanded 3,300 fees,Lawyer 1,500 and various others 1,100,with no paperwork; and living a way off, you can imagine it is difficult,but we make frequent trips to Spain and are going back and making a pest of ourselves.
BUT:we realise they didn't do anything illegal and therefore we only have ourselves to blame.
Three card trick!
Show somebody a wish/dream and let them do the rest!
By the way nationality is irrelevant,they are British and Spanish working in the true spirit of the EU.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

I understand what you are saying but did mention I would go to the police first who obviously would want to see the evidence.
So okay may not be able to *name* them but would be able to go to the media with story and a good description of the people but even more importantly it would make others aware .
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:51 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Galli
Hi,we went in with our hopes up and eyes half shut.
We found a site north of Seville that advertised inland property which as you probably know is, or seems to be reasonable.After seeing a house(rustic) with super views,we made an offer.A lawyer was recommended by the agent(I know) we left a holding deposit to take it off the market,no receipt!
After numerous asking, the lawyer says he will give us a receipt if we rip it up on completion as he likes to work Black and doesn't want to pay tax.then follows that statement with 'we must trust each other no?'
After lots of research in the area we discovered proposed building Work(power station).
On closer inspection, the house had serious defects,cracks all over and no Escritura.We were advised that it wouldn't be a problem;by now we were having serious doubts and pulled out.
Agent demanded 3,300 fees,Lawyer 1,500 and various others 1,100,with no paperwork; and living a way off, you can imagine it is difficult,but we make frequent trips to Spain and are going back and making a pest of ourselves.
BUT:we realise they didn't do anything illegal and therefore we only have ourselves to blame.
Three card trick!
Show somebody a wish/dream and let them do the rest!
By the way nationality is irrelevant,they are British and Spanish working in the true spirit of the EU.
So did you pay them what they demanded?? Or did they just retain it from your deposit ??
Our first attempt to purchase was a country property near Algondodonales. The agent, British, was showing via a corrida, and was very helpful. He was previously acquainted with us when living in Britian. Having made our choice, we had no deposit to put down but did make contact with the lawyer he recommended in Jerez. This man was very helpful, and instructed us to do nothing until he was happy, while the agent kept exhorting us to send a deposit to show goodwill. He charged an advisors fee above the purchase price. Eventually, with the lawyer's approval we sent 3000 Eu as a deposit,not noted anywhere, while the mortgage was sourced and the contract drawn up. When the mortgage came through, there was a hiccup with us getting over to sign and deliver the 10% by the agreed date, as one of us was working in Italy for 6 months. The agent assured us that it didn't matter if we missed the exact date , it was coming up to Christmas, but requested an advance of £1000 for work done, which we paid as it seemed reasonable.. However when the date for the 10% expired, I was on the very day about to have it transferred, he called to say the vendor was pulling out, and was being iffy about returning our 3000 Eu secura. He kept pointing out that there was no legal obligation for him to return it. Our lawyer said that he would prevail on him, and if he didn't he would exert pressure. We got the 3000 Eu back but kissed the agent (not literally) and our £1000 goodbye. He had wanted us to increase our offer.. we refused... Spanish friends kept saying the house seemed a litle expensive..then he kept saying things like ' for the next house bring a bag of money to hand over to show goodwill, it's the norm'. I post this just to say to anyone being told stories like this, don't. We eventually bought in Chiclana through a local agent. Yes we paid a 600 Eu secura, what we could get out of the ATM, which was noted on the contract at hand over in the lawyers office. her fee was included in the purchase price. The epilogue to this tale is that we then saw a house she had shown us, on the previous agents website at 40,000 Euros more than she was selling it for....I think £1000 was a fair price for a lucky escape.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

cerrillo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have been reading about these problems with interest. Since living in Spain for almost three years now I am amazed at sheer number of brits who move to Spain and all of a sudden they seem to be "estate agents" having never worked in that line before - and usually rip off other Brits. When I bought my house it was sort of via a Brit, but I insisted on having a solicitor even though she said it was not necessary - so I made some enquiries and went to see one in Malaga, I would not pay over any money until the solicitor informed me that all the paperwork was in order. I would name and shame the estate agent - too many of them are rip off merchants. I have my house for sale now and put it on with a particular agent - couldnt find it on the website in the price range - looked up a price range and nearly fell off my chair with shock - he had added 20,000 euros to the price, hence my ad in the classified section as hoping to not use an agent and pay their extorionate charges - and no I will not be taking out any loans and doing a runner just before a sale - I could not live with myself - and am staying in Spain.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:15 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cerrillo
Hi, I have been reading about these problems with interest. Since living in Spain for almost three years now I am amazed at sheer number of brits who move to Spain and all of a sudden they seem to be "estate agents" having never worked in that line before - and usually rip off other Brits. When I bought my house it was sort of via a Brit, but I insisted on having a solicitor even though she said it was not necessary - so I made some enquiries and went to see one in Malaga, I would not pay over any money until the solicitor informed me that all the paperwork was in order. I would name and shame the estate agent - too many of them are rip off merchants. I have my house for sale now and put it on with a particular agent - couldnt find it on the website in the price range - looked up a price range and nearly fell off my chair with shock - he had added 20,000 euros to the price, hence my ad in the classified section as hoping to not use an agent and pay their extorionate charges - and no I will not be taking out any loans and doing a runner just before a sale - I could not live with myself - and am staying in Spain.
Unfortunately, it's the purchaser who pays the Estate Agent's fees. This 'added value' makes the property more difficult to sell. The vendor just gets the price he is asking.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:03 am
galli

Galli is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Beware when buying a Re-Sale Property in Spain

So did you pay them what they demanded?? Or did they just retain it from your deposit ??
Our first attempt to purchase was a country property near Algondodonales. The agent, British, was showing via a corrida, and was very helpful. He was previously acquainted with us when living in Britian. Having made our choice, we had no deposit to put down but did make contact with the lawyer he recommended in Jerez. This man was very helpful, and instructed us to do nothing until he was happy, while the agent kept exhorting us to send a deposit to show goodwill. He charged an advisors fee above the purchase price. Eventually, with the lawyer's approval we sent 3000 Eu as a deposit,not noted anywhere, while the mortgage was sourced and the contract drawn up. When the mortgage came through, there was a hiccup with us getting over to sign and deliver the 10% by the agreed date, as one of us was working in Italy for 6 months. The agent assured us that it didn't matter if we missed the exact date , it was coming up to Christmas, but requested an advance of £1000 for work done, which we paid as it seemed reasonable.. However when the date for the 10% expired, I was on the very day about to have it transferred, he called to say the vendor was pulling out, and was being iffy about returning our 3000 Eu secura. He kept pointing out that there was no legal obligation for him to return it. Our lawyer said that he would prevail on him, and if he didn't he would exert pressure. We got the 3000 Eu back but kissed the agent (not literally) and our £1000 goodbye. He had wanted us to increase our offer.. we refused... Spanish friends kept saying the house seemed a litle expensive..then he kept saying things like ' for the next house bring a bag of money to hand over to show goodwill, it's the norm'. I post this just to say to anyone being told stories like this, don't. We eventually bought in Chiclana through a local agent. Yes we paid a 600 Eu secura, what we could get out of the ATM, which was noted on the contract at hand over in the lawyers office. her fee was included in the purchase price. The epilogue to this tale is that we then saw a house she had shown us, on the previous agents website at 40,000 Euros more than she was selling it for....I think £1000 was a fair price for a lucky escape.
Yep,they kept the whole 5.000 and even hinted I was 900 adrift!
Whilst looking at the house the owner tried to speak to me on the quiet,but lack of English/Spanish made it difficult,he seemed confused as to why I could turn down such a bargain...the agent had added 20,000 to the asking price;some commission eh?
Lesson learned:we will rent until we have attended a language school,at least then we will have more of a chance with the sharks (English and Spanish|_

Last edited by Galli; Jul 27th 2006 at 6:05 am. Reason: mistype
Old Jul 27th 2006, 7:46 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Every agent has their own price, I have seen variations of 40,000 €
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Surely all of this is fraud and the Police should be notified.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:02 am
Just Joined

When selling our property in Uk I was quoted 1.3%( 3% !!! if using multiple agencies) ,as the agents commission .
To sell,with us doing the selling and estate agents sitting on bums and the odd phone call, it cost us over £7000.00 PLUS VAT to sell ( about 10,200 €)

1; In Spain the buyer pays the bill.
2; The agent has to take each buyer to view plots and property because even if not in the "out posts "few road name exist in towns so impossible to give directions.
3; Many buyers are just looking .
4; Expences for Spanish estate agents under these circumstances must be horrendous and pro rata they probably earn far less for doing twice the work than our British counterparts.

As many of you would have sold in Uk and know what charges you had to bear I don't understand why the charges agents want here are a problem. Many of them now charge a set fee of about 5000€ and one can inquire about fees before requesting their services.

I have nothing to do with property sales et al. Just can't understand the logic of the moans.

Perhaps someone could explain .
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melosine
When selling our property in Uk I was quoted 1.3%( 3% !!! if using multiple agencies) ,as the agents commission .
To sell,with us doing the selling and estate agents sitting on bums and the odd phone call, it cost us over £7000.00 PLUS VAT to sell ( about 10,200 €)

1; In Spain the buyer pays the bill.
2; The agent has to take each buyer to view plots and property because even if not in the "out posts "few road name exist in towns so impossible to give directions.
3; Many buyers are just looking .
4; Expences for Spanish estate agents under these circumstances must be horrendous and pro rata they probably earn far less for doing twice the work than our British counterparts.

As many of you would have sold in Uk and know what charges you had to bear I don't understand why the charges agents want here are a problem. Many of them now charge a set fee of about 5000€ and one can inquire about fees before requesting their services.

I have nothing to do with property sales et al. Just can't understand the logic of the moans.

Perhaps someone could explain .
I think the subject of the thread is not about agents fees, but about a couple that were ripped off seemingly because of errors by professionals.

In the UK, estate agents are normally professionals with proper offices and qualified staff. We paid 1.25%. A small deposit is paid by the buyer and presumably held by the agent / solicitor. A selling price is agreed. The deposit is I assume returnable as I've never seen a deposit to cover my costs having had several people pull out in the past.
The estate agent checks out the buyers finacial status and overseas the sale from start to finish.

In Spain, anyone and their dog can set up as an estate agent with no experience. Large deposits are taken which often are not returnable even in the event of a mis description, and one house can be for sale with many agents for many different prices, leaving the seller in a very strange situation of not knowing how much his house is on the market for. The agent takes the profit on the difference he has hiked the price up to and the difference the seller thinks its selling for. Thats on top of the fee he is charging. They have no one to answer to ... they can do what they like.

There are of course respectable agents around with proper infrastructure, and its just a case of searching them out.

I think thats the basis for some of the disquiet
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:06 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Well put Mitzyboy. Melosine £7000 is never to be sniffed at, but there is a huge difference between £7000 and EU 40000..which in my reckoning is about £25000..and this on a property costing Eu210000. I have bought and sold many properties over the years, and have had agents who have worked really hard, and some who got lucky within a couple of viewings. And showing property on the campo must be a doddle compared to driving around central London, parking etc. Why don't we all just do away with British reticence and ask an agent how much commission they are getting ?? I never resent paying commission.. everyone has to work and eat, we all like to earn money. Buying and selling boats via a broker is even more expensive, they take around 8% plus VAT. However a registered yacht broker, apart from selling, also ascertains that their are no mortgages attached to the boat and checks paperwork etc and will often travel great distances to show boats. And no lawyers fees are involved.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

mitch mitchell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nige
If the web site for the REGISTRARS is correct, if you (or your lawyer) register for ongoing information concerning a title, you get an email immediately any change is made ! I wonder if the REGISTRAR completes his end of the online form at the correct time and if this information gets recorded and made available without any delays ! I think there must be many lawyers in Spain who are still not aware of the power of the Internet.
https://www.registradores.org:444/pr.../propiedad.jsp

Watch out! they give you the spiel in english then send you a cheap so called Nota Simple in Spanish. I e.mailed them back to say that they sent me what I guess is info, on a property number 119 I said this is wrong I want house Number 26. They replied, property register number can be different to the postal address. Tough. How am I suppose to know this refers to the right property? Contact them and you may as well chuck 10 euros in the bin! They will not reply further, guess another 10 euros might get a reply, don,t you think?

Last edited by jdr; Aug 1st 2006 at 3:42 pm. Reason: defamation of character without proof

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.