Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Better to Rent or Buy in Spain

Better to Rent or Buy in Spain

Old Dec 30th 2015, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better to Rent or Buy in Spain

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Bread in Supermarket €1.20...In Lidl 80c..remember i only get the oldage pension and the rent from my house..
And you deserve to enjoy it. I always go to Lidl and Aldi here in Ireland too.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read all the posts on this thread so forgive me if I have duplicated any advice.
Renting -V- Buying is the never-ending debate on forums such as this. Depending on your physical make-up, financial status, etc the answers are different for every body.

But, if you are prepared to rent out your home in the UK it is a no-brainer i.e. rent, rent, rent. Although the property market in Spain is undergoing recovery albeit at pace that can only be described as glacial. Property prices in Spain will never ever attain the price they were at eight years ago.

When you rent in the UK you can be almost certain of a steady decent income. You can rent in Spain in any decent location on the Costas for €550 per month. Unless you are renting in a house situated next to the Yorkshire Ripper somehow having got parole you will easily have money to spare.

Renting also gives you options re moving, retreating, commitment etc.

But, don't let me dictate what you should do. Beware of advice from vested interests - ignore at your peril.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexis1962
Thanks Moses
We wish we could keep the house in Britain and buy in Spain, but our capital is tied up in this house and when we eventually move we would have to sell to clear outstanding mortgage to then be able to buy something in Spain with the remainder.

I think the Rental situation would work for a while though, at least in time we will have tried different places and experienced life in Spain. Health issues etc.

Finding this forum useful

thanks
Maybe at some point in the future you could release equity from your UK home without selling, and use that to buy in Spain? Generally it's worth holding debt against rental property because tax on rental income can be offset against mortgage interest payments in both the UK and Spain (although in the UK you can't offset any income above the higher rate of income tax, but this probably wouldn't apply if the rental income is your only UK income).
Old Dec 31st 2015, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Alexis1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
I told my husband last night about all your posts and he has to agree that maybe to Rent is best and try to keep our home here in the UK just if it all goes wrong and not quite what we expected. Ideally if we could rent our home in the UK and use some to finance our Rent in Spain. I looked last night at Winter Lets and quite amazed at their prices and they were also furnished.
My husband still works at the moment so we could only rent for 3 months at a time as we hope for him to retire in the next few years and just holiday in between. Then it comes down to where to live or rent for months' at a time.
We have been to Southern Spain so far and it is lovely, but have now started to read about Canary Islands. The temp is all year round, which sounds even better as Southern Spain can get quite hot in the Summer whereas Canary Islands can level out more. Does anyone else wish to tell me more about different parts of Spain. We are looking for somewhere quieter, semi rural areas but not too far from the coast. We do love beautiful views especially Palm trees. Love the slower pace in Spain already but just not sure were to eventually live. So we have to try different area.
Never been to Canary Islands so not quite sure what to expect. Can anyone tell me more??

Thanks for everyones help
Old Jan 1st 2016, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

We have just sold on the CdS, and are renting in the Tarragona area but we want to buy again while the prices are still very low. We lost 25% on the sale but this was still less than what we would have paid in rent in 8 years.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Right Alexis, you have decided that renting is for you at least on the short term. One of your concerns is solved.

Where to live is now your burning question and fair enough. You will get advice that this place, that place, our place is the greatest location in Spain for an expat to live. Don't let me or anybody else tell you where to live; decide on that yourselves.

My Advice:- If you require coastal accommodation, then choose a resort that you think will suit you. There are many issues e.g. high-rise, low-rise, percentage Brits of the local population, availability of medical care, proximity to supermarkets, good local bus service, proximity to airport, facilities, neighbours, yearly temperatures etc.

Rent in wherever you decide for no less than five weeks in the off season. In that time you will know if the resort is for you. If you like the resort then decide on a particular area and then a road or urbanisation in the area.

Any other advice is as near to rubbish as makes no difference. Within 3 months of renting in different locations you will know if Spain is for you or more important if Spain is not for you. Keep an open mind, a closed purse, an honest partner and you will do no wrong.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The Canaries has the best all year round weather but distance may be a problem.
On the mainland it can get very cold in the winter away from the coast.
Leper is right do not listen to any advice about location as we all believe our bit of Spain is the best.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 3:55 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
The Canaries has the best all year round weather but distance may be a problem.
On the mainland it can get very cold in the winter away from the coast.
Leper is right do not listen to any advice about location as we all believe our bit of Spain is the best.
Come to the Canaries for a holiday and see for yourself.. Its 30* today in playa del Ingles..Goodluck and a Happy New Year.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:25 am
Just Joined

buymylodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alexis1962
Just want to thank everyone so far that have tried to give me good advice re medical care in Spain. Since reading these posts I can see that many are suggesting to Rent our home in UK then use funds to Rent in Spain. Are there expats out there that have done this and how it all worked out???

If I have to make a permanent move to Spain, I will rent out my UK property and rent in Spain until I was absolutely sure that Spain is for me on a permanent basis.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 11:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buymylodge
If I have to make a permanent move to Spain, I will rent out my UK property and rent in Spain until I was absolutely sure that Spain is for me on a permanent basis.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary