Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

Old Aug 27th 2013, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I bank with Sabadell but does anyone have experience of Barclays as a few of our Spanish customers use Barclays, if its good for them could it be for us too ?
We too bank with Barclays - we were able to open a Spanish account from a Barclays UK branch in the UK (although there is no operational link)
When the branch was in Ayamonte a couple of the staff spoke good English but in Huelva most of the staff didn't - although we were lucky enough to spot one of the girls from Ayamonte and she helped sort us out. I was going to change banks but, as Bryony says, we actually have very little need to visit the branch so we haven't bothered. It is also very easy to send an International direct money transfer from our UK (Lloyds) account to Barclays. Lloyds charge a flat fee of £10 up to a certain level (cant remember what) and the money appears in Barcays ES the same day.

Last edited by MikeJ; Aug 27th 2013 at 9:21 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

BobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to all

Thanks for all the respondents to my original question, it looks as though Solbank is just edging it over La Caixa at the moment.

I spent another frustrating day today trying to get in touch with someone to answer my questions at BBVA. I originally requested the email of someone at the Ayamonte branch via their website. They replied that they couldn't pass this information to me, but suggested I used their contact form on the website, after logging in.
Tried this twice, typed out my request, tried to send it and crashed the website (both times)!
I then rang the bank, and used my pidgin Spanish to ask for an English Speaker - No hablas ingles
Called the international number, explained to a very nice lady that I had spoken to Ayamonte, but no English speaker and my Spanish isn't up to my enquiry, so could I have an e-mail address please. She said she would call Ayamonte to ask for me, then put me direct through to Ayamonte - same result as previous attempt !
Called again and spoke to a courteous gent this time. Again, he couldn't give me an e-mail address for Ayamonte, but suggested I e-mail his colleague, and she would pass it on to Ayamonte. This I did, and I am now awaiting the result.

If I do change banks, what's the procedure for transferring DDs like ? Will the new bank organise this, or will I cause myself lots more grief by having to contact all the Utility Companies. I don't think my Spanish is up to that

I have changed banks in the UK, and it is simplicity itself, as they manage the transfer, but I'm not sure the same will apply in Spain.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:10 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays tends to be amongst the most expensive too. (UK banking model)
Old Aug 28th 2013, 7:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobD

If I do change banks, what's the procedure for transferring DDs like ?
Sabadell will automatically transfer all DD's for you.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:29 am
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

Alicia at Solbank in Ayamonte (0034 959 641 160) has excellent English and is very prompt and helpful.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:39 pm
Luz Living

Michaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by maccro
Alicia at Solbank in Ayamonte (0034 959 641 160) has excellent English and is very prompt and helpful.
Up Mayo! Sorry couldn't resist
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:49 pm
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michaelh
Up Mayo! Sorry couldn't resist
Ha Ha, did you go to Cabanas to watch it?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:58 pm
Luz Living

Michaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant future

Ha Ha, did you go to Cabanas to watch it?
No, listened to it on the radio, going home for the all ireland though. And keeping in line with the thread. I use solbank for my business and find them spot on.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
They are starting to close a LOT of Barclays branches in Spain - be aware!
Oh ok, I will maybe stick, I like SolBank because it gave me an account but if you go to a Sabadell in a ex-pat area, they are so overbusy, maybe more so in the summer.

However they are all so close so I could probably drive to the next town, which is only minutes away and easier to park and it will be less busy. I have noticed this though in many places, I guess its like finding a quiet post office in the UK that is not too far away.

I do like the fact in Sabadell if you lose you pin you can go to any branch and they print off a new one, in UK ( I know it should not be compared) but my card was chewed by a ATM on Holloway road in Jan and it took nearly 5 months to get the pin delivered correctly, I could have got that shorter if I complained more.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:36 am
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

Alicia speaks very good English (and German ... and French...), Javi and Alfonso do too. Of course, they are not as good looking....
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BobD
Thanks for all the respondents to my original question, it looks as though Solbank is just edging it over La Caixa at the moment.

I spent another frustrating day today trying to get in touch with someone to answer my questions at BBVA. I originally requested the email of someone at the Ayamonte branch via their website. They replied that they couldn't pass this information to me, but suggested I used their contact form on the website, after logging in.
Tried this twice, typed out my request, tried to send it and crashed the website (both times)!
I then rang the bank, and used my pidgin Spanish to ask for an English Speaker - No hablas ingles
Called the international number, explained to a very nice lady that I had spoken to Ayamonte, but no English speaker and my Spanish isn't up to my enquiry, so could I have an e-mail address please. She said she would call Ayamonte to ask for me, then put me direct through to Ayamonte - same result as previous attempt !
Called again and spoke to a courteous gent this time. Again, he couldn't give me an e-mail address for Ayamonte, but suggested I e-mail his colleague, and she would pass it on to Ayamonte. This I did, and I am now awaiting the result.

If I do change banks, what's the procedure for transferring DDs like ? Will the new bank organise this, or will I cause myself lots more grief by having to contact all the Utility Companies. I don't think my Spanish is up to that

I have changed banks in the UK, and it is simplicity itself, as they manage the transfer, but I'm not sure the same will apply in Spain.
Ricardo, English speaking manager at BBVA, will be back to work next Monday...
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

irlanda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michaelh
No, listened to it on the radio, going home for the all ireland though. And keeping in line with the thread. I use solbank for my business and find them spot on.

Up DUblin Enjoy the match
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Graham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LordMayor
Ricardo, English speaking manager at BBVA, will be back to work next Monday...
Yes and he replies to emails within 24 hours. Married to a very nice girl from Newcastle.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

Met with Alicia at Sabadell (Solbank) and set up a new account to replace our one with Barclays. They charge just 17.50 euros per quarter all in for ad-hoc banking to pay our local bills such as utilities, communities and local taxes. They also take care of transferring all of your existing direct debits etc. so nothing much to worry about. They also do a regular collection from your UK bank at no additional costs which will save us money on Moneycorp fees which is great.

They say they will not be closing the Ayamonte branch anytime soon as this is the main reason why many customers are moving over to them. Good online banking system as well as good friendly English speaking staff.

Very impressed so far!!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
Met with Alicia at Sabadell (Solbank) and set up a new account to replace our one with Barclays. They charge just 17.50 euros per quarter all in for ad-hoc banking to pay our local bills such as utilities, communities and local taxes. They also take care of transferring all of your existing direct debits etc. so nothing much to worry about. They also do a regular collection from your UK bank at no additional costs which will save us money on Moneycorp fees which is great.

They say they will not be closing the Ayamonte branch anytime soon as this is the main reason why many customers are moving over to them. Good online banking system as well as good friendly English speaking staff.

Very impressed so far!!
As I mentioned in a former post, i am totally satisfied with them after quite a few banks accounts, either in Spain, Portugal, France or UK... And I must say it is the first time it happens to me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.