Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

BobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to allBobD is a name known to all
Default Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

My Bank (BBVA) have changed their website, and like so many 'improved' websites, it is now harder to use. As far as I can tell, they have only one free cash machine in Ayamonte, and no permanent English speaking staff (unlike when I first joined them). So I am looking for recommendations for a new Bank in Ayamonte. The things that are important to me are:

1. Internet Banking, and website in English
2. Low/No Charges
3. English speaker on staff ( I know, shame on me)

I did find this thread from last year, but I am looking for some up to date information

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764195

I would be interested to hear reports about any/all Banks in Ayamonte from other forum users.

Last edited by BobD; Aug 25th 2013 at 10:37 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Spanish Bank Current Account ?

We use La Caixa. It has two branches in Ayamonte; one is by the large car park near the river and the other is somewhere passed the zoo towards the police station (can't remember exactly where but have seen one going in that direction). I have only been into the one branch but they didn't have any English speaking staff although they did seem to understand my rather halting Spanish.

It has internet banking and an excellent website which is easy to use and offers English as a choice.

We have a non resident account. The fees for transferring money out are low. We have lots of direct debits set up and pay about €30 each annually for maintenance charges. I haven't noticed any other charges other than those for any one-off payments.
Kath

Last edited by Kath Las Colinas; Aug 26th 2013 at 6:02 am.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:24 am
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

After using various banks ( El Monte/Cajasol, Bancaja/Bankia, Santander), I am now with Solbank (Banco Sabadell) and I am totally satisfied. They have the lowest charges, they all speak fluently English (and 2 or 3 other languages), have the website in the language you choose. It is the first bank I never had to complain, even after 3 or 4 year!

My experience: El Monte : useless, Bancaja: excellent until they become Bankia (total lack of sevices + overcharging), Santander: very good but probably the highest costs.

Regards.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted
We use La Caixa. It has two branches in Ayamonte; one is by the large car park near the river and the other is somewhere passed the zoo towards the police station (can't remember exactly where but have seen one going in that direction). I have only been into the one branch but they didn't have any English speaking staff although they did seem to understand my rather halting Spanish.
Kath
We also use La Caixa at the branch you mention past the zoo on the road to Isla Canela. In there, Maria speaks excellent English and has been very helpful on a range of matters.

Although we're happy with our arrangement with this bank, I can't comment on the best Spanish Current account though. However, we do get internet banking in English.

Last edited by cleverdic; Aug 26th 2013 at 12:03 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

ARPcPro is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is that usually the banks with the best accounts don't have an office in Ayamonte. There is a website you can use to compare the fees and advantages:
www.bankimia.com/cuentas-corrientes

I have cajasur that has an agency open near the Ayamonte market and I must say I've seen better service. The online banking is weak and mostly for checking movements. Whenever I need to renew savings accounts I always need to go to the agency. Usually there are 2 employees that deal with this and if there is no one before you it is ok. Otherwise, I've waited more than 1 hour until my turn. They are nice and helpful but anything you need to do takes a lot of time there and requires a couple of bureaucracy.
If you need to change your account inside cajasur for some reason just make sure that all the direct debts orders are transfered properly.
Maintenance fees in cajasur I think it used to be 22€ per year but now I'm paying 9€ every 3 months.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 9:41 am
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=LordMayor;10869540]After using various banks ( El Monte/Cajasol, Bancaja/Bankia, Santander), I am now with Solbank (Banco Sabadell) and I am totally satisfied. They have the lowest charges, they all speak fluently English (and 2 or 3 other languages), have the website in the language you choose. It is the first bank I never had to complain, even after 3 or 4 year!

Fully agree, I was able to set up the SolBank/Sabadell account remotely from Ireland and their on line banking is very straightforward. Their cash machine is right beside Plaza de la Laguna which is also handy for me.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:35 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Sabadell is one of the largest banks in Spain.

They are part of one of the largest ATM networks so no problem getting money out.

It's website is in English and very easy to use and navigate.

They have English speakers in most branches.

They have ZERO charges (credit cards, debit cards, normal transactions) if you meet their income requirements - which can be negotiated.

They offer cash bank if you pay utility bills via direct debit.

They offer interest on children's savings accounts - most do NOT!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:07 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Halifax ES transferred to Lloyds ES and now Lloyds ES is transferring to Sabadell but confused as to how Solbank are involved. Is the bank now Sabadell or Solbank ?

Thanks

Mel
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Hi

Halifax ES transferred to Lloyds ES and now Lloyds ES is transferring to Sabadell but confused as to how Solbank are involved. Is the bank now Sabadell or Solbank ?

Thanks

Mel

The bank has always been Sabadell. They 'bought' Solbank some time back.

In some places they trade as Solbank and some places as Sabadell Solbank. But they are ALL Sabadell.

And, yes, they bought Lloyds International (formerly Halifax Hispania) - the deal was completed earlier this year.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:56 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted

It has internet banking and an excellent website which is easy to use and offers English as a choice.

We have a non resident account. The fees for transferring money out are low. We have lots of direct debits set up and pay about €30 each annually for maintenance charges. I haven't noticed any other charges other than those for any one-off payments.
Kath
I vote for LaCaixa. Not just for the reasons you point out (their online banking is fabulous and full-service), but also because there is at least one branch (and ATM) in almost every little village everywhere in Spain. Very convenient.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:47 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The bank has always been Sabadell. They 'bought' Solbank some time back.

In some places they trade as Solbank and some places as Sabadell Solbank. But they are ALL Sabadell.

And, yes, they bought Lloyds International (formerly Halifax Hispania) - the deal was completed earlier this year.
GOT IT NOW! Thanks Mel
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with Sabadell but does anyone have experience of Barclays as a few of our Spanish customers use Barclays, if its good for them could it be for us too ?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I bank with Sabadell but does anyone have experience of Barclays as a few of our Spanish customers use Barclays, if its good for them could it be for us too ?
We bank with Barclays and their online Banking is simple to follow. I suppose the only downside is the fact that the Ayamonte branch moved to Huelva but, to be honest, since opening our account we have never needed to go to the actual branch and there are plenty of ServiRed ATM's dotted around. Regards Bryony

Last edited by MikeCol; Aug 27th 2013 at 6:09 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
We bank with Barclays and their online Banking is simple to follow. I suppose the only downside is the fact that the Ayamonte branch moved to Huelva but, to be honest, since opening our account we have never needed to go to the actual branch and there are plenty of ServiRed ATM's dotted around. Regards Bryony
Thanks I will consider changing to Barclays when I am there.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:02 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Thanks I will consider changing to Barclays when I am there.
They are starting to close a LOT of Barclays branches in Spain - be aware!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.