Reload this Page >

The best of Madrid

The best of Madrid

Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The best of Madrid

The best of Madrid

Here is my list of the best of Madrid. I have never been there, so I know some of my suggestions may be off. So, I thought we could help each other make a best of Madrid list. Please contribute if you know Madrid well, live there, or have spent a considerable amount of time traveling to Madrid. Thank you in advance.

-the best authentic/most unforgettable local travel experiences.
-non-typical, interesting/special experiences (full of original character), and unique only to the local area.
-memorable/dramatic scenery & landscape photography. Where do I find the best (viewpoints, city views, panoramas, skylines, sunsets, etc..)?
-the unique outdoors, hikes/hilltops/lookouts, and amazing views...
-lovely/charming streets,
-specialty/unique local cuisine, and gastronomy (under 15Eur/meal), the best freebies and/or anything else off-the beaten path.

Thanks again...(my list is located below)

MADRID

sights:
Placa Mayor, Espania, Sol, Oriente, Placa Ciebeles (Palacio de las Telecomunicaciones),
Retiro Park, Puerta de Alcala
Palacio Real, Catedral de la Almudena
Templo de Debod, Parque del Oeste (at sunset)
Plaza de la Paja
Atocha station (turtle waiting room)
Reina Sofia (free Saturday/Sunday after 2:30), just for Eu citizens or everyone?
Prado (between 6-8pm), same question regarding nationality?
Sundays -Rastro Flea Market, located in La Latina
View, 26th floor bar in Edificio de Espana building
Moorish quarter

exursions (inside):
Sierra de Guadarrama, Penalara peak
Aranjeuz,
Chinchon
Escorial/Valle de los Caidos, catch bus from Moncloa station in Madrid

excursions (outside):
Toledo, take bus from Madrid, (Mendez Alvaro) to foot of hill, walk up to Toledo, St. Martin's bridge, Mezquita de Cristo de la Luz
Avila,
Segovia, c8 train, alcazar, asoguevo square, sunset at aquduct, sucking lamb, Cochinillo Asado

food:
El Cocido MadrileƱo (the madrid soup)
bocadillo de calamares (where can I find a good quality calamari sandwhich)?
patatas bravas
Calle Arenal (comida para llevar), but what kind of takeout food is it?, Calle de Preciados (basement delis), sounds interesting but is it tasty?
Sopa de Ajo
Sepia con alioli
Boquerones en vinagre
huevos estrellados
torrijas
El Corte Ingles, chocholate covered figs
Old Dec 15th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Re: The best of Madrid

Originally Posted by sandia911
The best of Madrid

Here is my list of the best of Madrid. I have never been there, so I know some of my suggestions may be off. So, I thought we could help each other make a best of Madrid list. Please contribute if you know Madrid well, live there, or have spent a considerable amount of time traveling to Madrid. Thank you in advance.
El Escorial - has a great, life-size belen, spread throughout the whole town centre during Christmas. The 3 Kings procession is huge, with the loudest fireworks display ever because it all reflects back off the side of the mountain.

El Escorial - follow the roads up through the town and into the mountain behind. There are some excellent views down into the town and across to Madrid. There's also a small arboretum with some lovely little paths through the various trees and shrubs.

Nr. El Escorial - Take the road to the village of Peraleja and there's a quaint little nature reserve with loads of indigenous animals plus a tame vulture that wanders around. Nice little restaurant just outside, on the opposite side of the road from the car park.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:31 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

In that case you might be able to help my a little. I have booked a 3 day trip over the mew year as a suprise pressie for my husband. We arrrive the 31st with lunch booked (too much stupid money for the night) and are staying in the centre.

Where is the best place to catch the new year festivities and is there anywhere you recommend we go to see - we are there until the 2nd jan

Many taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:35 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rixxy
In that case you might be able to help my a little. I have booked a 3 day trip over the mew year as a suprise pressie for my husband. We arrrive the 31st with lunch booked (too much stupid money for the night) and are staying in the centre.

Where is the best place to catch the new year festivities and is there anywhere you recommend we go to see - we are there until the 2nd jan

Many taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas
Make sure you are at the Puerta del Sol at midnight with 12 grapes (each) and a bottle of champagne..
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:43 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anabella
Make sure you are at the Puerta del Sol at midnight with 12 grapes (each) and a bottle of champagne..
You may want to buy some handcuffs, as the crowds are huge.

I`ve never been to Madrid in the New Year, I`m sure it is a great experience but there`s too many people for my kinda liking.

Madrid is Pretty at night and well worth a visit.Especially around the Royal Palace and the Cathedral, the Parks are pretty in the Summer but at this time of the year you`ll freeze to death in them.

3 Days though isn`t enough to catch everything but you`ll be well entertained.

Have fun and eat lots of Churro`s and drink lots of Chocolate.

Last edited by lee8; Dec 17th 2007 at 3:46 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:45 pm
Still young member

Well I have been before for 5 days - took the kids indoor skiing there last feb!

I know about the grapes and champers and like you Lee8 we prefer not to many peeps - its why I booked lunch and not the dinner as we may hole ourselves up in the hotel room....!

Many thanks to you both and we will wander around the place - we only live in Marbella so local really....!!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:52 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rixxy

Many thanks to you both and we will wander around the place - we only live in Marbella so local really....!!

You could also try the Warner Bros theme park but i`d leave it for a warmer time.

But the best thing to do in Madrid this time of the year generally would be to Shop shop shop and then shop some more.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:54 pm
Still young member

We did the Warner bros last time - cold then too!

Now I do like the idea of shop shop shop - its the jan sales as well - although normally I hate shopping!

I reckon I could just stand it for an afternoon! Wheres me visa!!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Canguro is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are interested in Xmas shopping in Madrid, I will suggest Las Rozas Village Outlet in the north-west about 20mins by car (you can take several buses from Moncloa too).

It has been built by a US outlet mall-building company and it shows. Many good shops and some great bargains if you get lucky, its almost like being back in the US.

A trip there will 'hopefully' solve all your family present buying problems.

I would recommend staying away from the Puerta del Sol on NYE since it just gets too crowded to be fun from about 9pm onwards. Best get yourself comfy in a hotel room with yr media naranja or grab a copy of In-Madrid english language newspaper and find a club that has a NYE event.

Most of the the usual things to do in Madrid have already been covered in earlier posts. My tupence would be to recommend my ex-barrio La Latina for a walk around and a terraza coffee (El Viajero - Plaza del Humilladero) in the winter sun. Also a great place to start the night!

Cheers, Mark
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:07 pm
Still young member

Thank you for your comments. I reckon we will decide what we are going to do when we get there - I have booked lunch and new years day dinner - the rest if the time us newly weds will try and amuse ourselves.....somehow!!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 7:29 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canguro
If you are interested in Xmas shopping in Madrid, I will suggest Las Rozas Village Outlet in the north-west about 20mins by car (you can take several buses from Moncloa too).

Mark
Las Rosa village is really really easy on the pocket book, nothing fits. I was there the other day and couldn't find anything bigger than an XL which is about a M in american sizes so nothing fit and beyond a Starbucks didn't buy anthing
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by lee8
You could also try the Warner Bros theme park but i`d leave it for a warmer time.

But the best thing to do in Madrid this time of the year generally would be to Shop shop shop and then shop some more.
You'd probably be better off leaving bargain hunting until the sales start after Tres Reyes on 6th Jan. Generally not like the UK, where sales start soon after Christmas Day or New Year's Day.