Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best Internet Provider Malaga

Best Internet Provider Malaga

Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Internet Provider Malaga

I can be sure there have been many internet threads but I've done searches before posting and come up blank>:::::: I want a provider for Malaga Este - have a landline, but having lived in the campo for best part of a decade I've no idea even if I have a choice between Telefonica and others, or if I have to go with Telefonica because there's a landline! (sorry, that's the depth of my ignorance!) ..... how do we find out if we have either broadband or the potential for broadband? All the basic questions............sorry.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:12 am
Just Joined

ukexpat_58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Internet Provider Malaga

Hi! I have just moved to Barcelona. My neighbour told me that in Spain is better to choose cable conection instead of ADSL because the connection is more stable, but as well I’m searching Internet Provider in this moment
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:30 am
Just Joined

mlka is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just moved to Barcelona as well.

On the 21st June took out a movistar contract and am still waiting for the installation.

54 euros a month for 100MB fibre Optic connection, telephone line, and TV included.

I wish I had contacted ONO as well, seem a bit cheaper but maximum 50MB fibre optic connection.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

You are quite right, cable is much better, but you have to remember that outside the major cities it does not exist and there are still many places outside of the towns that don't even have a landline yet, let alone ADSL.

That explains the proliferation of independent WiFi operators.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I can be sure there have been many internet threads but I've done searches before posting and come up blank>:::::: I want a provider for Malaga Este - have a landline, but having lived in the campo for best part of a decade I've no idea even if I have a choice between Telefonica and others, or if I have to go with Telefonica because there's a landline! (sorry, that's the depth of my ignorance!) ..... how do we find out if we have either broadband or the potential for broadband? All the basic questions............sorry.
If you are in the Campo and have a Telefonica landline then you should use Telefonica's ADSL service. Other operators may well offer you ADSL but unless it is a WiFi solution, they will have to use the Telefonica lines anyway.

Telefonica (now called Movistar) have brought their prices down over the last couple of years and are now pretty competitive. If you have a mobile, especially if it is a Smartphone, then their new "Fusion" service is pretty good. It gives you all three services (landline, ADSL and mobile voice/data) under one contract.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check all cable options that come to my area :-)
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukexpat_58
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check all cable options that come to my area :-)
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Rosemary, thank you very much in anticipation of any help!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey BE's changed! Time was I'd have had 24 replies within 24 hours, mainly appropriate.. this time it's only thanks to the new Barcelona contingent that it got off the ground!! ..... in this instance, Fred, I'm talking Malaga city este (Pinares de San Anton) rather than campo as we might be on the point of moving to a rente property nearer to school!
So yes landline, but not campo
Any thoughts ref that scenario in Malaga?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:03 pm

Just contact Movistar and see if they have cable at 100mb/s in that area. If so, go for it!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
Just contact Movistar and see if they have cable at 100mb/s in that area. If so, go for it!
... er sorry Fred I've lived with piggybacked or dire satellite campo internet for 8 years. What does your post mean ? (no, seriously, what does it mean? )
Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:21 pm

Movistar can offer a range of services from basic ADSL up to 10mb/s speed which is fine for most things, or up to 10 times that if you are lucky enough to have a cable system locally rather than the old telephone lines.

The cable systems are much faster, but the only real benefit of such high speed is the ability to watch high quality video streams with no problem. That said, there are very few of these sort of streams available at present but over time, this will be the "normal" way of delivering TV and films in high quality to the user - satellite systems will become redundant.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks. Will have to learn what it's all about but it sounds as though having a landline is a distinct bonus.