Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The best car insurance companies in costa del sol? What do you pay?

The best car insurance companies in costa del sol? What do you pay?

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The best car insurance companies in costa del sol? What do you pay?

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
So does mine, but at my request for extra discount
Do Linea Directa insure UK plated vehicles?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 9:45 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malagaman
Why should you want to insure a UK vehicle?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why should you want to insure a UK vehicle?
I don't but the OP is talking about bringing their UK car over, that's how I read it anyway
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

All the Brit based companies do, but they know that the cars are in Spain illegally after the time limit, so why do they do it ?
How can they responsibly insure an illegal car/driver ?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
All the Brit based companies do, but they know that the cars are in Spain illegally after the time limit, so why do they do it ?
How can they responsibly insure an illegal car/driver ?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Was with Liberty Seguros, via someone in Fuengirola, the company changed without telling me so my contact was in Alicante or somewhere so I went (as I should have done 3 years previously) to the local agent who raised her eyebrows at the premium and put me with Generalli, whose premium was slightly lower but the cover significantly better.
Same story with life/home cover. We went with the one the original abogado organised, now via local agent realise we've been paying over the odds for lower-grade cover. Worth doing your homework.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:57 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malagaman
No, but Ibex do
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:57 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjharts
We are moving to Spain next month, for now we are taking our car, we may bring it back before 6 months and sell it in the UK and buy a Spanish car, or we may decide to switch it to Spanish plates, pay the 500 or so euro etc but as it is a fiat panda and does 70 miles to the gallon and is very economically friendly etc my husband really wants to keep it!
Anyway, my question is that in the meantime, we need a name of a good Spanish insurance company - one that includes breakdown cover which i think they all do anyway. We will be in Nerja and so I don't know if you have a to be with someone near to you or not?
We have currently been quoted 516 euro fully comp by Ibex but that seems quite alot to me? what do other people pay?
We figured we would get it asap as even though our UK insurance covers 2 months in europe we would have to pay alot for european breakdown cover and so we may as well switch to spanish insurance with breakdown cover asap to save money. Advice and suggestions?
As far as I know........
You cannot insure your car with a Spanish Insurance company as the car is not Spanish registered. This includes Linea Directa !
So you will need to speak to someone like Knights who deal with many UK plated cars here to obtain insurance & any policy will include breakdown to comply with Spanish law.
Bear in mind that any right-hand drive car will always attract a premium here as in the event of a claim parts may well be needed to be sourced from outside of Spain.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

hotchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be aware that if you insure any car through a Spanish insurance company they insist on 3 months notice to cancel ( check your policy ) So 3 months before it is due for renewal give them written notice to cancel and then shop around when it is time to renew you can of course continue with the original company should you wish but always barter.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:17 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotchick
Just be aware that if you insure any car through a Spanish insurance company they insist on 3 months notice to cancel ( check your policy ) So 3 months before it is due for renewal give them written notice to cancel and then shop around when it is time to renew you can of course continue with the original company should you wish but always barter.
Another little bit of advice especially if you are not there to watch them at renewal time.

When you start cover, cancel any direct debits to the bank that may be set up without your knowledge.

When you take out cover with LD they Will ask for your bank details and tell you it's so that they can pay any claims into this account. In my experience this is nonsense as they will pay the garage that does the work direct, however what they do do is, renew the policy whether you want it or not and refuse point blank to refund you, they say under Spanish law they have a right to do this.

This can affect you if perhaps you are in the UK and don't see your post from them in Spain, it's worth an email to your bank to make sure they can't do it.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the last few posts certainly makes Ibex a good bet
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Reading the last few posts certainly makes Ibex a good bet
I would just caution to check the actual cover. I acknowledge their actions may be more important to some people, makes some sense. Could be big € difference in cover, though, as I found out.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish companies I have used just needed a letter to say no thanks to the renewal notice, after asking them to match the new lower quote.
You do need to watch out though if they have your bank number as they will withdraw it anyway, if they do just go into your bank and get the payment returned to your account.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that if you insure any car through a Spanish insurance company they insist on 3 months notice to cancel .
With Linea Directa you only have to give notice 7 days before the renewal date. If they want to terminate then they have to give you 2 months notice.