Benidorm

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Jamie369 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Benidorm

Hi

Looking for some advice, I am going to be 20 in January and looking to set up a new in Benidorm. how easy is it to find a job over there in the expat community in say I bar or something? And is the cheapest way of living over there in a caravan?if so how easy are they to come by?

Thanks in advance

Jamie
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benidorm

Do you speak any Spanish?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you speak any Spanish?
No I don't
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 7:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamie369
No I don't
As Benidorm is extremely popular with the Brits and you have mentioned working in a Brit place I doubt very much whether you would need it. However saying that the job situation in general is not good. Tebo lives there and he is a very genuine person so hopefully he will pop in soon and give you his opinion on your plans.

Rosemary
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
As Benidorm is extremely popular with the Brits and you have mentioned working in a Brit place I doubt very much whether you would need it. However saying that the job situation in general is not good. Tebo lives there and he is a very genuine person so hopefully he will pop in soon and give you his opinion on your plans.

Rosemary
Ok thanks a lot I'm looking to go over there the beginning of next year for a month and see if I can find anything and hopefully if I can find something I'll stay

Jamie
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks a lot I'm looking to go over there the beginning of next year for a month and see if I can find anything and hopefully if I can find something I'll stay

Jamie
You will be going over at the worst possible time to try and get a job, many bars etc will have closed down for the winter, bar work will pay probably less than the legal minimum wage and will very often be cash in hand, i.e.on the black, so no legal contract and no access to the Spanish health care system, so you will need private cover.
However you are young enough to try the adventure, but just don't burn your bridges in the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Looking for some advice, I am going to be 20 in January and looking to set up a new in Benidorm. how easy is it to find a job over there in the expat community in say I bar or something? And is the cheapest way of living over there in a caravan?if so how easy are they to come by?

Thanks in advance

Jamie
Hi Jamie,

I live here in Benidorm and loving it At the moment there are several bars and restaurants advertising for bar staff, waiters, pot washers etc. You find that this surge in employment is very temporary whilst we have the influx of mainly British holidaymakers. However, within a month or so many of these bar staff etc are back unemployed and the bars either shut down for winter or stay open with skeleton staffing. I have had several friends who have had to return to the UK during winter.

When we first came to live here we looked around the caravan sites and decided they were not for us. You can rent an apartment here for the same money as a caravan. 1 bed apartment will be about €350 a month plus electric etc, 2 bed are €500 a month plus bills.

Don't be swayed by any of the TV programmes put out about Benidorm as living here is very, very different.

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Sep 24th 2016 at 8:45 am.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi Jamie,

I live here in Benidorm and loving it At the moment there are several bars and restaurants advertising for bar staff, waiters, pot washers etc. You find that this surge in employment is very temporary whilst we have the influx of mainly British holidaymakers. However, within a month or so many of these bar staff etc are back unemployed and the bars either shut down for winter or stay open with skeleton staffing. I have had several friends who have had to return to the UK during winter.

When we first came to live here we looked around the caravan sites and decided they were not for us. You can rent an apartment here for the same money as a caravan. 1 bed apartment will be about €350 a month plus electric etc, 2 bed are €500 a month plus bills.

Don't be swayed by any of the TV programmes put out about Benidorm as living here is very, very different.

Steve
Thanks Steve
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jamie,

Steve
and there was me thinking that life in Benidorm was just like the TV programmes, thinking the OP could get a job at the Solano.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
and there was me thinking that life in Benidorm was just like the TV programmes, thinking the OP could get a job at the Solano.
I'm amazed at how many holiday makers think all us expats live on the caravan sites

I was talking to a couple of elderly holiday makers recently and when I told them that I live here, the first thing they asked was "Which caravan site are you on"

The power of television!
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:15 pm
Concierge

I'm amazed at how many holiday makers think all us expats live on the caravan sites

I was talking to a couple of elderly holiday makers recently and when I told them that I live here, the first thing they asked was "Which caravan site are you on"

The power of television!
But, no-one on the tv prog 'Benidorm' lived on a camp site.. did they, they all seemed to either live in the hotel or some other unspecified place.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
But, no-one on the tv prog 'Benidorm' lived on a camp site.. did they, they all seemed to either live in the hotel or some other unspecified place.
I was thinking of the last load of rubbish on tv "Bargain Brits in the Sun"

Can't imagine how much they got paid to act so daft
Old Sep 25th 2016, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie,I had a business here in the Benidorm area ,not at all in the pub business,for 18 years now retired.Was asked regularly by Brits. if a job was possible.Don´t even think about being illegal,this is not "soft" England.I so agree with others telling you that the TV programmes are sending out bad info.I´m ok because I´ve paid my dues into the Spanish system for all the years but especially now with Brexit what do you think is the future for a Brit.,no language or skills,perhaps limited funds?When my family first arrived,before Spain was in the EU,we had bought our business & home but a visit from the Police told us coldly"If you do not support yourselves legally we will deport you"Fortunately we did.However my advice to you would be "Stay in UK laddie"unless you have a skill that gives you a proper opening in employment.Remember back in UK this is the message people are giving to migrants wanting to live in UK.Why should you think the Spanish,or any other EU country,feels differently.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lucilastic
Jamie,I had a business here in the Benidorm area ,not at all in the pub business,for 18 years now retired.Was asked regularly by Brits. if a job was possible.Don´t even think about being illegal,this is not "soft" England.I so agree with others telling you that the TV programmes are sending out bad info.I´m ok because I´ve paid my dues into the Spanish system for all the years but especially now with Brexit what do you think is the future for a Brit.,no language or skills,perhaps limited funds?When my family first arrived,before Spain was in the EU,we had bought our business & home but a visit from the Police told us coldly"If you do not support yourselves legally we will deport you"Fortunately we did.However my advice to you would be "Stay in UK laddie"unless you have a skill that gives you a proper opening in employment.Remember back in UK this is the message people are giving to migrants wanting to live in UK.Why should you think the Spanish,or any other EU country,feels differently.
very well put. 100% agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.