Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Benefits Abroad?

Benefits Abroad?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits Abroad?

Originally Posted by suelesj
If we are talking `legally´the E121 does not get round that problem as that is
only supposed to be for people on holiday!
Sorry, but you are wrong.
The EHIC (was E111) is for holiday cover.
The E121 is for people of retirement age and their dependents.
The E106 is for people under retirement age, and gives up to 2 years health cover.
There have been many threads on this topic, all checkable with the DWP in Newcastle and on their website.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Benefits Abroad?

Sorry I must have got my E's mixed should be E106. However early retirees for health reasons should be able to get their E121 early.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Aug 16th 2008 at 10:23 am.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If a person on E121 returns to the UK to live there is no wait for treatment. Just that they cannot pop back for treatment whilst living here. They can get an EHC in Spain to use in the UK.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

GlasgowGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_07.asp

At the moment i qualify for an E121 because of long-term IB, but this will stop if my War Pension is increased beyond a certain point.

I don't qualify for a 121 as a pensioner because i am only 38. The way i feel some mornings looking at the weather says otherwise.

I don't think we would be able to afford private medical insurance with the long list of stuff we get meds for lol.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:17 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
However, the UK government has been told by the EU commisioners that it is illegal for them to withhold some of those benefits because you have moved abroad, apparently the UK departments affected are currnetly 'looking into how it has to be implemented' in other words just what they can get away with NOT letting people have.
Supposed to be free and easy movement of people around the EU. I wonder if anyone has thought to complain to the EU parliament about the UK's actions that are contrary to this.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:17 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

I am sorry to hear you plight but I am sure help is not far away. Please try the British legion here in Spain Website there is a link below it shows various divisions of assistance and have a caseworker on the end of the line. I notice there is a number to call re advice and as they are already here they seem the best people to ask.I am sure if they can not help the will provide you will instruction of how you can obtain the assistance you request. Good luck try to be truthful after short term gain, These things jump up and bite you in the ass in years to come just when you thinks things are on the up. Here is the link....

http://www.torreviejalegion.info/

Last edited by poshnbucks; Aug 16th 2008 at 2:21 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:32 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

The Benefits I know you CAN claim are these:

Long term Incapacity Benefit if you were on it before you came to Spain. This will also entitle you to an E121 which will cover you and your family for free Healthcare in Spain.

DLA (Care Element only).

i Know you CAN'T claim Council Tax Bnenefit, Hoising Benefit and I'm pretty sure not Income Support.

There is no free dental care in Spain as far as I know.

Don't know about other Benefits that you mentioned.

Hope this helps..
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bil
Supposed to be free and easy movement of people around the EU. I wonder if anyone has thought to complain to the EU parliament about the UK's actions that are contrary to this.
I did look into that when i was refused benefits on returning to the UK and was classed as "a person from abroad". I took a solicitor 3 months (with my research notes) to get my money paid out. I don't think most of the DSS are even aware that EU regulations take priority over UK ones unless someone savvy points out the relevant legislation clauses.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:54 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I think like so many of us you were filed under the 'screw you' category.

That includes so many who have paid tax etc all their lives and then when the are in need of help are treated like soiled kleenex.

Three months hard work to get that? How many would either not know, or give up in disgust.

Did you get the solicitor's costs refunded by the b*stards?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bil
I think like so many of us you were filed under the 'screw you' category.

That includes so many who have paid tax etc all their lives and then when the are in need of help are treated like soiled kleenex.

Three months hard work to get that? How many would either not know, or give up in disgust.

Did you get the solicitor's costs refunded by the b*stards?
Yep, it's a bloody big filing cabinet that one.

If it was just me, i would have given up, but when you also have a missus and 2 special needs kids to feed, clothe & house on £45 a week, there is no giving up. Makes me sick how the Govt. treat people these days. We got the solicitor on Legal Aid :-)

Last edited by GlasgowGeek; Aug 16th 2008 at 9:01 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:31 pm
bil
Banned

Yeah, I can see how that might give you a bit of impetus.

You can always judge people by what they do when they get power, especially how they treat the weak and the powerless.

They are all b*stard sh*tsucking scum, every last one of them.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

GrannyP is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are resident or permently in Spain you have to get an E106 if your under Pension age or not working, in order to get medical cover. The amount of time the cover will last is dependent on your NI contributions in the last two years before you came to live in Spain.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

intheknow is an unknown quantity at this point

There would appear to be a shedload of mixed messages on this thread!

Rather than answer them all I´ll make a couple of points:
  • DLA (apart from the mobility component) is exportable if you´re currently living in the UK and wish to take it with you to Spain;
  • Long term Incapacity Benefit is also exportable as long as entitlement was based on your contributions and not your income;
  • Income support is non-exportable;
  • E121s are not for those on holiday, they are given to people in receipt of a UK State Pension, long term Incapacity Benefit and Bereavement Benefit;
  • War Pensions is not my area but I don´t think there´s any problem exporting those either;
  • Housing and Council Tax benefits obviously go, but you could retain your Child Benefit if you are in receipt of certain benefits (depends on how your Incapacity Benefit was calculated);
  • There is a vicious rumour going around that you have to wait 6 months for NHS care if you return to live in the UK. Total rubbish. All you need is an address to register with a GP.

Anyway, good luck. PM me if you want more info.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Benefits Abroad?

Originally Posted by intheknow

• DLA (apart from the mobility component) is exportable if you´re currently living in the UK and wish to take it with you to Spain;
  • Long term Incapacity Benefit is also exportable as long as entitlement was based on your contributions and not your income;
  • E121s are not for those on holiday, they are given to people in receipt of a UK State Pension, long term Incapacity Benefit and Bereavement Benefit;
  • War Pensions is not my area but I don´t think there´s any problem exporting those either;
  • Housing and Council Tax benefits obviously go, but you could retain your Child Benefit if you are in receipt of certain benefits (depends on how your Incapacity Benefit was calculated);
  • There is a vicious rumour going around that you have to wait 6 months for NHS care if you return to live in the UK. Total rubbish. All you need is an address to register with a GP.
Again thanks for the Clarification particularly the last point thats good to know. The sixth months has been quoted so often it has grown legs. Your answer does square with what happens in our surgery where lots of immigrants come and go all the time and registration does seem to be dependant on an address in the catchment area and no questions are ever asked about how long!

Why not ask jdr to add this invaluable info to the FREE BEER thread.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:43 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by intheknow

I will add to that if you are on Incapacity Benefit and receiving Child Benefit Abroad (Within the EU) you are also entitled to Child Tax Credits. Although as we have found out it really screws up the DWP computer up every month we get letters saying we are not entitled to it and they have moved us to Manual Payment so we get a check that has to be Cashed in a Post Office a third party can do this for you but its a pain.

You can also make your claim for incapacity benefit after you have left the UK as long as you have made contributions with in a specific time span prior to the claim. But you will go through a rigorous medical examination which is controlled by the host nation. And all medical evidence will have to be supplied from doctors directlly and translated to English.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 22nd 2008 at 3:51 pm. Reason: Forgot to install spell checker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.